PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for wireless thermometers

gregthec
05-28-2015, 11:33 PM
Hi folks,

Rank amature here and new to this forum. I have made a few racks of slow cooked ribs (4hrs) and a chicken. My results have been surprisingly delicious and I want to keep on keeping on.

When I've cooked before, I would place the thermometer through a vent in the top of my Weber to get the ambient temp, and into the item I'm cooking for food temps.

My question; Can any recommend a specific model of a wireless digital thermometer setup that I can look at remotely (wireless) and stick into the meat to get the cook temperature as well? At minimum, I'm looking for a good wireless thermometer so I can monitor my solo cooks. (220 degrees or so). The cheaper the better!

Thanks so much in advance.

Greg

Trailer Trash
05-28-2015, 11:42 PM
I have used the Maverick ET732 in the past but have been dissatisfied with the actual (not advertised) distance of transmission. They say 300 feet but sitting in our home, 25 feet away from the smoker, I have to place the receiver in the window sill and monitor it with binoculars from 15 feet across the room... My wife gave me an iGrill for Christmas which will display on my iPhone or IPad anywhere in the house! It has (2) probes and displays, one for meat temp and the other for pit temp. Both simultaneously. About $100 and VERY well worth it!!!

Maylar
05-29-2015, 05:01 AM
I also have the Maverick ET732, and my experience is better than Gerry's. I've taken it 75 ft with no problems.

Joe Black
05-29-2015, 06:11 AM
I have the maverick 732 and it worked good for a couple of years. Now, I can't get the receiver to work. I need to research the paperwork, but I'm using a stick burner now and am sitting with it so the remote is not a problem. I don't really know what all this means except the remote ain't working but I don't care???

spider22
05-29-2015, 08:37 AM
I have had the Maverick ET732 for a couple years now and it works great. The only issue I have had is that both of the original food probes have stopped working. I have bought 2 new food probe and a new pit probe.

tnfan47
05-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Same here with ET732, no issues besides spiking of temperatures, but I replaced the probe and no issues since.

Might try out those igrill2 when my Mav quits on me.

Fat Cap
05-29-2015, 08:42 AM
I have the Maverick et733 and I LOVE IT! I do get the 300 feet as advertised and more (Had it in my pocket and did some wandering when my buddy was tending the smoker). I paid about $70 for it on Amazon.

keverhart
05-29-2015, 08:45 AM
I've had the Maverick ET72 for a few years now and love it. Ton of range and highly accurate.

Ruind
05-29-2015, 08:55 AM
I have the 732, and have had issues with distance. I think the plaster walls in my house play into this some. I recently got the 733 and have had zero issues with range, I have been very satisfied. I did also upgrade to the 6ft probes.

PatAttack
05-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Maverick ET-732 has worked flawlessly for me. Upstairs through four walls about 150 ft. I just ordered a ET-733 a couple of days ago. We'll see how it works out.

If and when Thermoworks ever makes a model like this I will be buying it!

aawa
05-29-2015, 09:03 AM
I have the ET-732 and the ET-733. The 732 works well, but it intermittently drops signal whenever you put a wall between the transmitter and receiver. The 733 has much connectivity.

spider22
05-29-2015, 09:16 AM
I have the ET-732 and the ET-733. The 732 works well, but it intermittently drops signal whenever you put a wall between the transmitter and receiver. The 733 has much connectivity.
That surprises me because I have put 4 walls between at around 60 feet with no trouble.

cjs27410
05-29-2015, 09:20 AM
BlueThermDuo best thermometer I've every used. :clap2:

aawa
05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
That surprises me because I have put 4 walls between at around 60 feet with no trouble.

If I'm in my room, I have 2 walls and about 30ft between the receiver and transmitter. With fresh batteries, it will drop signal a couple times. I have been in my kitchen which puts a sliding glass door and about 15ft between the transmitter and receiver and it has dropped signal before.

The receiver and transmitter will resync after 30 seconds or so, but it does drop signal.

Also I'm not naysaying the device. I have had my ET-732 for 3 years now. I still use it. I just have a ET-733 to use as well, since I got it for my GF since she is now into BBQing.

Richard1233
05-29-2015, 11:12 AM
I love my et 733, i can go buy beer and only lose connection for a minute or 2. I monitor it all the way to the store and back which is a block away from my house, I just can't go in the store or I lose connection for a minute til I step back outside. If I stay around the house I have no problems at all, i would recommend it to anyone.

b.m.
05-29-2015, 11:33 AM
I have a Maverick et-73 (on a budget and needed something) and here are my observations.

First off- it works exactly as designed. Being the cheap model, range isn't great- but battery life is, and work and reads accurately.

But- I think these were designed by moderate sadists. First- the power switch on the transmitter unit is inside the battery compartment. And if you have the stand/hangy clip on, you have to remove that to get to the battery door. And the stand is poorly designed. It's kinda goofy, hangs (I hang it on the handle of my uds) it with the display facing down. If you try to set it up, the way the cords are on the bottom it makes it awkward and it spends most of its time laying over or on its face. Just annoying.

Then to get them to pair or link or whatever, you need to turn them on in the right order, and I can never remember the order. So if you did it wrong, you have to go back through the whole battery door debacle again. I've since learned to not put the battery door on until after it's linked.

Then there's the whole set temp procedure for the alarms. You can only scroll up. So, say if you last cooked pork and had the temp set to 195, but today you are doing chicken and want it set to 160, or you want to change the smoker alarm from 300 to 275, you have to scroll all the way up past 400 or 450, then it'll flip to 40 or something, and then scroll back up to your desired temp. If you get clumsy and overshoot it, you are hosed and have to through the whole procedure again. After reaching the desired temp, you have to remember to hit the center button (enter). If you don't, you are hosed again and have to do the whole exercise over. How hard is it to add dedicated +/- buttons? Up/down arrows? Seriously- like $0.02 to the build cost...

I've done many cooks in the past six months since I've had it, and I have not had any probe problems. I read the reviews that warned the probes don't like being submerged, so I just wash them carefully with a damp sponge.

I don't know how many of the above complaints have been addressed in the newer/higher end Mavericks.

I'd still recommend one. It does what its supposed to do- they are affordable, wireless. I love the Thermoworks stuff but they don't make a wireless setup. Plus they are spendy... I did see they have a new one that does Bluetooth, but my phone is a total pos and with Bluetooth on, the battery would be dead long before I finished a cook.

BM

Maylar
05-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Has anyone used a 732 and 733 at the same time? Can they coexist in the same space? I'd like to monitor 2 grills at the same time.

aawa
05-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Has anyone used a 732 and 733 at the same time? Can they coexist in the same space? I'd like to monitor 2 grills at the same time.

I have used a 732 and 733 at the same time during a competition. Both of transmitters were sitting within 6 inches of each other, and both were reporting to the proper receiver which were sitting right next to each other. No issues at all with interference.