PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Good price

DanB
05-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Hi All Just wondering if this is a good price for smoking wood. Here in North Jersey smoking wood is hard to come by, so far.
Splits are 12" x 2-3"
We still carry 12 logs. They are only available for pickup. They come in an 50lb. case for $80. In the logs we offer pecan, hickory, oak, maple, and cherry. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks DanB

daninnewjersey
05-28-2015, 09:39 AM
North Jersey is flush with oak. Check on Craiglist or something for oak firewood. Down here at exit 36 it's all I use.....

DanB
05-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi Been checking Craigs List, so far no luck.
Thanks DanB

daninnewjersey
05-28-2015, 09:43 AM
Hi Been checking Craigs List, so far no luck.
Thanks DanB

Call tree service guys. They're always cutting down oak....and probably can send you in the right direction...

Ron_L
05-28-2015, 09:48 AM
I looked t the prices at Vaughn Wood Products and they sell approx 27 lbs of similar sized splits for $42.50, so that price is competitive.

ButtBurner
05-28-2015, 09:54 AM
if you want this for your stick burner you will go broke (or at least I would lol)

gotta be firewood sources there someplace

daninnewjersey
05-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Just a quick search....here's a place that will deliver. Not saying anything about the price since the more you search the better price you can usually find...this is just an example...

http://dennywiggersgardenscapes.com/firewood/firewood-delivery-nj/firewood-nj-zone-1.html

DanB
05-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Hi That place is in my town.. Will check then out again. I think I went there last year, so not impressed.
Have a few other firewood places in my town to check out.
I have a 1/4 cord of firewood in my back yard but it 22" long and thick.
Not looking for anything that has to be cut.
Thanks DanB
PS Last year I buy some logs from a firewood place in town,but they were way too big for my COS.

Greenhornet
05-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Dang, makes me feel better about dropping $8 fo about a 40lb sack of wood around here.

nickmv
05-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Just remember, fresh wood is moist. Terrible for BBQ'ing.

Avoid fresh cuts if at all possible. Some take years to dry out properly.

DanB
05-28-2015, 01:30 PM
QUOTE=ButtBurner;3254926]if you want this for your stick burner you will go broke (or at least I would lol)

gotta be firewood sources there someplace[/QUOTE]

Hi You maybe right. I just might need get a 2nd mortgage on my house .:decision:
Thanks Danb

Teleking
05-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Just got 9 cord or approx 42,000 pounds (+/-) for $900!

DanB
05-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi All Just saw on Home Depot's web site,inventory at my store they have Brinkmann's 25 lbs splits for $25.00. Not bad, except they only have Hickory and Mesquite, which are too strong for my wife. If they had appple/cherry/pecan, would have sovled my wood problems
DanB

Teleking
05-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Hi All Just saw on Home Depot's web site,inventory at my store they have Brinkmann's 25 lbs splits for $25.00. Not bad, except they only have Hickory and Mesquite, which are too strong for my wife. If they had appple/cherry/pecan, would have sovled my wood problems
DanB

Hickory is to strong but cherry is not??????? I would put hickory with the apple and pecan flavor wise.

Melissaredhead
05-28-2015, 06:22 PM
2 year dry out time

Teleking
05-28-2015, 06:30 PM
2 year dry out time

For what? Red oak yes, everything else not so much based on location and stacking style. 1 year is ideal but if done right it can be done in 6 months.

YMMV

Beentown
05-28-2015, 08:36 PM
For what? Red oak yes, everything else not so much based on location and stacking style. 1 year is ideal but if done right it can be done in 6 months.

YMMV

Even sooner for apple and cherry.

daninnewjersey
05-29-2015, 08:22 AM
2 year dry out time

I've loaded my reverse flow with some oak that wasn't totally seasoned and let her go for for a few hours at 150-200 ish. It seemed to help get the wood more ready for cooking.....

DanB
05-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Hickory is to strong but cherry is not??????? I would put hickory with the apple and pecan flavor wise.

First time I smoked using 2 chunks of Hicktory, my wife said it was too smoky.
I can use Pecan/Cherry/Apple with no problems or compliants.:clap2:
DanB

DanB
06-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Hi All found this on CL:...http://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/4995294562.html
Seller said he would cut any lengths.. Sounds good and only 40 min's from me.
DanB

DanB
06-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi All Found a fire wood place in town, that is just getting into smoking wood. Got a few pieces to try out. They wanted $35 for 35 lbs. in a bushel, might have gotten 2 smokes out of it,if I went all wood. told them that was kinda high. Maybe if they went down to 25.00 I would give them a try, since I'm not having much luck any where else.They were looking for feed back since is smoking wood is new to them..Wood was the right size and thickness for my COS.They had cherry/apple/oak.
I was there last year and pick up some big splits, for .50 and 1.00 alog
DanB

ButtBurner
06-15-2015, 03:45 PM
here ya go

$149 1/2 cord delivered, in your area

give them a call see what they have

http://dennywiggersgardenscapes.com/firewood/firewood-delivery-nj/firewood-nj-zone-1.html

Teleking
06-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi All Found a fire wood place in town, that is just getting into smoking wood. Got a few pieces to try out. They wanted $35 for 35 lbs. in a bushel, might have gotten 2 smokes out of it,if I went all wood. told them that was kinda high. Maybe if they went down to 25.00 I would give them a try, since I'm not having much luck any where else.They were looking for feed back since is smoking wood is new to them..Wood was the right size and thickness for my COS.They had cherry/apple/oak.
I was there last year and pick up some big splits, for .50 and 1.00 alog
DanB

Calling it smoking wood and jacking the price is just plain BS and dishonest. Welcome to Jersey. It's wood, period. If they are a firewood dealer how much for a cord cut split delivered?

DanB
06-15-2015, 05:04 PM
here ya go

$149 1/2 cord delivered, in your area

give them a call see what they have

Hi BB This place is in my town..Went there last year was not impressed. Just might visit them again.
Thanks DanB

DanB
06-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Calling it smoking wood and jacking the price is just plain BS and dishonest. Welcome to Jersey. It's wood, period. If they are a firewood dealer how much for a cord cut split delivered?

Hi I have 1/4 cord of fire wood in my back yard,for the fire place, but it is too long for my COS.. Not sure what type wood it is.Tried cutting a piece in half with my neighbors chain saw, no such luck, the wood was hard as a rock..Must be Oak.
Thanks DanB

ButtBurner
06-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Hi BB This place is in my town..Went there last year was not impressed. Just might visit them again.
Thanks DanB

I saw 4-5 other places with I searched

I put in Paramus NJ firewood in a yahoo search

Teleking
06-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Hi I have 1/4 cord of fire wood in my back yard,for the fire place, but it is too long for my COS.. Not sure what type wood it is.Tried cutting a piece in half with my neighbors chain saw, no such luck, the wood was hard as a rock..Must be Oak.
Thanks DanB

Then you don't need smoking wood because you already have plenty. Learn to identify wood types and pretty much any type of hard wood is good to go. Buy a hand saw and a hatchet to chunk it.

Heck at a buck a pound I'm farking rich. My 50,000 pound pile of wood, I only paid $900

ButtBurner
06-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Then you don't need smoking wood because you already have plenty. Learn to identify wood types and pretty much any type of hard wood is good to go. Buy a hand saw and a hatchet to chunk it.

Heck at a buck a pound I'm farking rich. My 50,000 pound pile of wood, I only paid $900

Dan is an older gentleman and has a hard time splitting and sawing it like you suggest

he is trying to deal with it the the best he can

once he finds a suitable supplier he will be all set

Dan-sounds like your neighbor needs to have his chain sharpened!! It should be able to take on any type of wood!!!

Teleking
06-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Dan is an older gentleman and has a hard time splitting and sawing it like you suggest

he is trying to deal with it the the best he can

once he finds a suitable supplier he will be all set

Dan-sounds like your neighbor needs to have his chain sharpened!! It should be able to take on any type of wood!!!

I apologize then for my tone, I didn't know. Someone should be able to help and not take advantage. If Dan lived closer I would hook you up at a fair price for these parts.

And yes get a new or sharpen the chain. Still currently heating my house with wood that I cut and split by hand. Chain shapening much like knife sharpening is a well practiced art form.

mchar69
06-15-2015, 07:00 PM
I apologize then for my tone, I didn't know. That's fair, I was thinking alike.
Craigslist has free wood all day even in the winter.
I can get oak or maple every day, have gotten pear, wild cherry, black walnut (? never used it) hickory, white oak all free. Of course, I had to split it, and at times cut it.
I look every day under Free on CL. Paying some guy $25 an hour w/ a truck is a way to do it, if a guy is available. edit also got fig.

Teleking
06-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Did anyone say build a UDS!? Problem solved

DanB
06-16-2015, 05:51 AM
Did anyone say build a UDS!? Problem solved

Hi I was thinking about building a UDS..I like the idea of burning wood in my COS.
Thanks DanB