PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Paprika Dust

mrjoe
05-26-2015, 04:27 PM
I found a post from a couple years ago today about how to un-clump brown sugar. I should have read this yesterday.. When I tried to make a big batch Chris Lilly's Memphis Dust. About quadrupled the recipe. I had 5 cups of brown sugar in the rub. It basically was a sticky mess. I tried to remedy this problem by adding several cups of paprika. It loosened it up, but I would have been better off with some of the suggestions of from the old thread. Now I have a I should have read this yesterday. Tried to make a big batch Chris Lilly's Memphis Dust. About quadrupled the recipe. I had 5 cups of brown sugar in the rub. It basically was a sticky mess. I tried to remedy this problem by adding several cups of paprika. It loosened it, but what I have now is a sort of mild flavorless rub with a strong paprika taste. Any suggestions on something to add to re-flavor it, kosher salt, chill powder, more pepper?

Shagdog
05-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Sorry, Joe, but I think you know the answer... Throw it out and start again or taste and tinker till you have something you like. I don't think anyone could give you good advice on how to fix this without tasting except fOr if you know how much of the paprika you added, scale up the rest of the rub recipe and add all of that to make a larger batch of the same stuff. I would use fresher brown sugar though :D

qman
05-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Sorry, Joe, but I think you know the answer... Throw it out and start again or taste and tinker till you have something you like. I don't think anyone could give you good advice on how to fix this without tasting except fOr if you know how much of the paprika you added, scale up the rest of the rub recipe and add all of that to make a larger batch of the same stuff. I would use fresher town sugar though :D
Like Shag says; this is the only answer that makes any sense.

IamMadMan
05-26-2015, 06:51 PM
I agree with Shagdog....

If you feel drying the brown sugar in a warm oven is too much effort, you can use turbinado sugar....

Brew-Bq
05-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Try and rescue a small measured portion. If it works scale the remedy spices up. If not dump it.

mrjoe
05-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Yeah thanks sounds bout right

mrjoe
05-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Yeah thanks guys, no easy answer. I think I will go with turbinado next time. I will tinker with this batch, if nothing works its back to the start.