PDA

View Full Version : looking for tips cooking 2 pork shoulders

DeadBrokeBloke
05-25-2015, 10:33 PM
I am new to the forum. I got a Vision S series grill for Christmass, and purchased a heat deflecting stone and pan to catch drippings. As well as a ring that lifts the main grill up to the felt line and the second grill up higher into the dome. This is my setup.
I have two pork shoulder picnics that I am getting ready to smoke, total weight is 21.36 Lb roughly even in size. I was planing on putting a spice rub on at least one (fresh rosemary, garlic, black pepper, olive oil). I am using lump hard wood charcoal and I have LOTS of pecan wood (like a whole tree) and live Oak, and some apple wood.

Any thoughts on recipes, cook time, and temp. Also what is yall's favorite wood for smoking.:clap2:

USMC
05-26-2015, 12:32 AM
Recipe just depends on what flavors you like. I just use a good off the shelf rub that has ingredients for my own personal taste. I personally like to slather my pork with yellow mustard to make the rub stick, but olive oil works fine too. Sometimes I inject with apple juice with some of the rub dissolved in it, sometimes just apple juice, and sometimes no injection at all.

I cook at about 225-250 for all my pork so a good average is about an hour per pound for shoulders. You can always go the hot and fast method if food needs to be ready sooner. Smoker temps can be adjusted according to how much time you have.

Target internal temps just depend on if you want sliced or pulled pork. I go to about 170-175 for sliced and about 190-195 for pulled. For pulled, when you get around 190 start wiggling on the bone and if it looks like it wants to pull out clean with no resistance of meat sticking to it, it is a good indicator that it is ready to pull off (I've had them go up around 200 before the bone would wiggle out clean). Let them rest a little while before serving. This also gives a chance to cool down a tad so you don't burn your hands if using thin gloves. If you need to pull immediately (in case of hungry people staring at you waiting to eat) pull with a couple forks.

My favorite all around wood is hickory, but apple and other fruit woods are great for pork.