PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Pot For A Mini WSM? (This One?)

creekwalker
05-22-2015, 03:23 PM
For those of you who have built minis, do you think that this pot

Amazon.com : Bayou Classic 1044 44-Quart Stainless-Steel Stockpot : Stock Pot : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gu7n2hsjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41gu7n2hsjL

--which shows 13.5 inches wide, would fit into the bottom of a Smokey Joe, or would it probably be a little too narrow?

It's taller than the usual tamale pot, which I like for certain reasons. The same size fire would be powering a larger interior space, but I figure that the stainless's heat holding ability would partly compensate for that.

Fwismoker
05-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Boy that's a tough call...might want to contact them on the exact measurements.

For about $25 more you could get the 80 qt one that fits the jumbo joe.

pjtexas1
05-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Boy that's a tough call...might want to contact them on the exact measurements.

For about $25 more you could get the 80 qt one that fits the jumbo joe.

I agree about the price. For that much you might as well build the Jimmy unless you already have the smaller Smokey Joe. FWI has built both as have I. The biggest problem is finding a pot with the correct size bottom AND correct size top. The top can be fixed with rope gasket in the lid if the pot top opening is too small. If the top opening is too big then you are screwed.

edit: When they give the measurements it is hard to know if they are talking about the top or bottom of the pot.

creekwalker
05-22-2015, 06:32 PM
You're both right, and now that I think of it, it's stark raving mad to trust Amazon for information. I'll try to contact the manufacturer, or better yet look for a lower price mini stainless pot. I was thinking of sooner or later building both a mini and a jimmy, the former especially for fuel savings on small cooks--but I understand the mini also has some advantages of its own, for instance for chicken and for good pork butt bark. This taller pot is intriguing because I thought it might be possible to hang with no diffuser.

Fwismoker
05-22-2015, 06:35 PM
You're both right, and now that I think of it, it's stark raving mad to trust Amazon for information. I'll try to contact the manufacturer, or better yet look for a lower price mini stainless pot. I was thinking of sooner or later building both a mini and a jimmy, the former especially for fuel savings on small cooks--but I understand the mini also has some advantages of its own, for instance for chicken and for good pork butt bark. This taller pot is intriguing because I thought it might be possible to hang with no diffuser.

I love my mini even though I don't use it as much as I used to. Dang it makes a heck of a pork butt!

Use a Vasconia or Mexican grocery tamale steamer that fits for your regular mini.