PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in the Rain/Thunder - Need Advice

mbigtoe
05-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Hello Fellow Brethren!

My CEO has enlisted me to cater the BBQ for his Memorial Day Croquet Tournament. I'll be doing two briskets and six racks of ribs on my Marshall. I'm very excited to do this.

However, the forecast is calling for thunderstorms now, and I've never done a cook in the rain or thunderstorms. I was thinking about setting up my canopy and doing it under that, but I'm not sure how safe that would be. Any recommendations for doing a cook in rain/thunderstorms is very welcome.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

dummy que
05-22-2015, 12:40 PM
weght down your pop up whith 5gal. buckets filled with water or sand and make shure to wear your alum. hat

Fat Cap
05-22-2015, 12:50 PM
I would throw an easy up over it and go. as long as you have 3 or 4 feet of space you should be fine. Definitely secure it though. Cold rain on a hot smoker makes for struggles galore!

Woody309
05-22-2015, 12:54 PM
make shure to wear your alum. hat

Shouldn't he wait for the bark to form before he wraps? :biggrin1:

Skip
05-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Enjoy the smoke ring. I always got the greatest smoke rings when it rained or the air was heavy in moisture.

CabinFever
05-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Depending on the construction of your rig, I cook under a canopy in the rain and use a flex metal duct over my chimney and exhaust the smoke to the exterior of the canopy while my cooker is covered. Keeps the smoke out and keeps you dry. Good luck!

AlwaysSmokey
05-22-2015, 02:02 PM
:hand: Nope,.. can't be done... pack the meat in dry ice and send it to me today. Go get fish burgers from Mc Donalds.

You'll be fine. Happens to me and other brethren all the time. Not croquet..... Q,..... in the rain.... ok now I'm rambling. .........Oh,.. make sure those meats are overnighted!

mbigtoe
05-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to batten down the canopy and get 'er done! Sorry AlwaysSmokey - no meat for you!

Happy Hapgood
05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
If lightning becomes an issue be ready to go autopilot and you get out of there. Also where ever you set up, make sure your pop up is not the tallest thing around. Stay out from under trees. I speak from experience.

Good Luck!

yakdung
05-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Protect your smoker with this and run like hell when the lightning arrives. Do not go cheap with the popup canopy.
http://www.costco.com/Caravan-10%27-x-10%27-Aluminum-Frame-Pop-Up-Canopy.product.11231893.html
Good luck,

Bbq_lover
05-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Yup. Pop up tents is the way to go. Secure them and if you a few small ones(10x10) line them up side by side for maximum space. You'll still get water between the tents but it'll be better than nothing. Make sure the smoker is completely under one. Water will steal your heat!!!