PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with giant mega trailer smokers...

b.m.
05-19-2015, 01:35 PM
I've noticed in this forum there are a pretty good number of you with big trailer smokers.

How many of you run a business, cater events and/or compete professionally, etc..., to warrant such a big smoker? or do you guys just love BBQ that much that you convinced your family you needed a $10k rig to cook a pork butt and some ribs for Sunday dinner?

I'm just really curious. I'm a father of 7 with live in in-laws, which makes for a total of 11 people under one roof that my wife and I cook for every day, and one drum smoker and a Weber Genesis gasser is plenty big enough to feed all of us with lots of leftovers. In fairness, several of the 11 are younguns that don't eat that much, and the gasser is at capacity when doing steaks and burgers, but still.

Maybe there's a day in the future where I'll graduate to a stick burner, but even then I don't see myself getting anything extravagant.

Thanks,
BM

Richard1233
05-19-2015, 01:42 PM
I don't have a trailer but I have a 500 gallon water tank smoker that holds a lot of food and I got mine cheap from a friend for $400. However within the next couple years my wife said it's ok for me to get a shirley trailer. I do have to buy us a house first but with the way my career is going I should be able to afford both a house and shirley trailer within the next year or so.

daninnewjersey
05-19-2015, 01:55 PM
I sell ribs at a farmer's market in the summer so I have a 300 gallon propane tank smoker. She cooks about 50+ racks at a time when packed tight. However, I also use it for cooking at home, local parties at friends' houses....and other stuff. I can tell you she was no where NEAR $10K....just north of $1800 if I remember correctly. Nobody needs to spend $10K to get a big smoker....unless you want to.

I started with an electric smoker, graduated to a drum (4 drums actually), and then learned about stick burners. I got tired of running out of room with 4 drums so went with the propane tank design and never looked back. Was a natural progression for me and I'm sure other guys are in the same boat. Sure I'll use the drums when cooking for myself and my wife, but my heart is with my big baby now. Also, there was no convincing anyone...other than myself....

JoSal73
05-19-2015, 02:02 PM
I want a trailer because I want to cook on site and serve it super fresh without having to hold & transport. Also because it will be a nice show and I like big boy toys.

I will have one next year hopefully once I pay down a little debt.

TcircleT
05-19-2015, 02:14 PM
To each his own...

FattyMcFatty
05-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Nope, Don't need the space at all. We are a family of 4 plus small gatherings here and there.

I really enjoy smoking on my ceramic and have been wanting to get me a stick burner, soooooo I'm in line to get me a Shirley :becky:

No justification needed for me other than I want it :heh:

bacchus99
05-19-2015, 02:28 PM
I've been curious about this as well.

Beentown
05-19-2015, 02:32 PM
I may use the capacity of my Shirley five times a year. Those are three charity cooks and two big family get togethers. Though, there are more opportunities opening up to do more. Was tired of not having enough capacity when needed.

My Shirley was no where near $10k same as most peoples trailer models on here. You are getting into something completely different once talking about $10k.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/beentown71/20150507_154704_zpslqlrsbmw.jpg

I have rifles that are worth as much as this Shirlry cost me but my family gets more enjoyment out of it than the rifle. It is all in what you want to spend your money on.

An 850 CC quad is owned by many but really used like it was meant to by few. Any endeavor has those that don't see the value in certain things while others do. Stay active here much and justification gets easier ;)

Cat797
05-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Mine is not super large, but that said, I also did not spend anywhere near $10K.........I think I have about $2,500 in it and it took me 2 years of tinkering to complete. I just love to BBQ for my friends and family, I wanted to do a welding project to develop those skills, and I like sleepless nights! :crazy:

All for the greater good! :grin: I say if you want one, get one. Either dive in or buy one, you will not be sorry!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/cat797-photo/8EB8F3E7-3A3F-4CCC-8B88-B46753FA69B1.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/cat797-photo/media/8EB8F3E7-3A3F-4CCC-8B88-B46753FA69B1.jpg.html)

DaveAlvarado
05-19-2015, 04:03 PM
I don't own a trailer yet, but I will. Something in the 24" x 60" range would be perfect. I've never done a cook big enough that I'd load something like that to the gills, but it's the right size to cook a decent sized party's worth of food including several different meats. Everything in there can have room to breathe.

AZRaptor
05-19-2015, 05:04 PM
I thought about changing my mind on my Shirley Patio and having Paul build me a trailer instead (in for a penny, in for a pound), but after thinking about it more, if I ever did decide to start hauling it around for cooks away from home, the trailer model would only let me haul the smoker, but a patio model on a toy trailer would let me haul the smoker plus other stuff, so I decided to stick with the patio. That being said it's still going to be a 24x60 smoker which is bigger than I will likely need on a regular basis, but it comes down to "They're cool. I want one." :-D

SmokeŽ
05-19-2015, 05:12 PM
How many of you run a business, cater events and/or compete professionally, etc..., to warrant such a big smoker?

Thanks,
BM

For the average backyard cook I really don't feel that the purchase has to be justified by business ventures as much as enjoying cooking on a nice stick burner for friends, family, Sunday school and Church functions and maybe you're retired and find it's a good way to enjoy the day. I have some friends that spent much more money to fly to Africa and float across the Serengeti in a hot air balloon. That had me scratching my head but they enjoyed it and I guess that's what matters.

RDOwens
05-19-2015, 05:27 PM
Since this has come up, allow me to ask my silly question that I've wondered about.

So, you have a trailer that you take somewhere to do a cook. Let's say it's a church bbq or something similar. You've cooked your ribs and chicken and everyone had a good time. Now it's time to go home. What do you do with your coals? I know at comps there is a place to dispose of them, but on an event I can't imagine there would be a place to dump them. Do you wait until everything cools down? Do you drive down the road with some heat still in the chamber? Do you keep a rack warming for when you get home? Just curious and as I said, silly question.

JonP
05-19-2015, 05:40 PM
or do you guys just love BBQ that much that you convinced your family you needed a $10k rig to cook a pork butt and some ribs for Sunday dinner?

Maybe there's a day in the future where I'll graduate to a stick burner, but even then I don't see myself getting anything extravagant.

Thanks,
BM

Sounds super judgemental.

Beentown
05-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Sounds super judgemental.

Thats how it translated for me also.

pjtexas1
05-19-2015, 05:45 PM
How much someone spends on something is interesting. This could be asked about your home or truck. When is it too much? I personally have a smaller house than people that make half what I make but that is me. Nothing wrong with doing what you feel is right for you or your situation. When I first started cooking outdoors I never thought I would spend $500 on a cooker much less order a trailer smoker. 10-12 cookers later I have a Shirley being built next month. Will I ever fill the Shirley to capacity? Probably not but you never know. I don't compete because my current smokers are too heavy to drag around so I now have that option with my SF trailer model. For me it's about trying new things and enjoying this hobby. Most hobby's are expensive as you let them become and ours is no different. I guess what I am trying to say is that as long as you can justify it to you and yours then I say do/get whatever makes you happy. If it's a Weber Smokey Joe or a 30x80 trailer...

TonyT
05-19-2015, 06:02 PM
I think you'd be surprised at how many smokers you think cost $10k, that in reality only cost a small fraction of that (unless that number was meant in hyperbole).

Though I don't own a big trailer or offset (just a WSM and performer), I bbq at least twice a week and 2-3x a year for 12-25 person parties. I have to be crafty, but I get it done. Truth be told, if I had money to spend, I'd without a doubt get something the size of a Shirley. In my case, probably a Humphreys, because I don't think I'd like the work involved in a stick burner (or cost of wood).

So even though the vast majority of my cooks would be for between 3-5 people, considering how often I bbq, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a nice, larger cooker so I could have space when I needed, not have to run two different pits at once and quite simply to just enjoy something I spend a lot of time doing.

Value to me is how much I use it and how much more enjoyable it is while using it. Don't really need my iphone either. I could use a regular flip phone to call/txt, laptop for e-mail/apps/web surfing and separate GPS unit when driving, but it's certainly a very nice luxury to have an item that I can enjoyably do any and all of those tasks on.

b.m.
05-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Not trying to be judgemental- sorry I came across that way.

I'm more speaking from my own life situation- If I want to make a big purchase in my family, I have to present it in a way that justifies it to those who are affected by the decision. And spending any significant amount of money, which we don't have much of (7 kids, single income), it affects everyone and there needs to be a significant roi for the family.

In my case, my father in law was the one that specifically wanted a smoker, but I would be the one to cook on it. That's fine by me, I like to cook. He was looking to invest about $300, and was browsing home depot and lowes websites. That terrified me- as left to himself, he'd toss his money on some piece of garbage that I'd end up stuck with. So, I had to convince everyone that building a UDS was the biggest ROI for that price range.

BM

revkab
05-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Mine, the one you see to the left, measures about 72" long by 40" in diameter. It has an upper and a lower set of racks, and can cook a large quantity of Q when I need.

I had this rig built for a couple of reasons.

1) I like being able to cook more than one turkey at a time. And I live a couple of hours away from family, so I like to be able to hook it up and bring it with me.

2) It is less about how much I can possibly cram into it at one time, than it is about the volume of the cook chamber, and how it circulates the smoke. I have a much smaller patio-sized offset that I can do good Q on, but I find it really concentrates the smoke and I have to be real careful not to get too much (is there such a thing) smoke flavor.) Having the big offset, a small offset, and an UDS, I still lean toward the big boy, even when doing one or two slabs. The food just tastes better.

3) The big boy is just plain more fun!

I think that if I had to get rid of all but one, I'd still keep the large, towable offset. It's my fav. Besides, aburgers and steaks for larger crowds. man just can't have too many grills and smokers. I'm currently beginning a towable grill, so I can do large burger/steak cookouts for church.

sylntghost
05-19-2015, 07:06 PM
there are 4 people in my family and i bought a 24x70 shirley. the most ive had on it was 3 racks of ribs and a butt.i bought it basically because its cool.my wife gave me a budget and i bought the biggest i could buy.:becky:

SGH
05-19-2015, 07:38 PM
To me smokers are like guns. The more you have, the better. There are times and some occasions that I actually need the capacity. But it's few and far between. I like having a trailered rig to pull to work to cook or for some events that I do. A trailered rig makes life easy when you do need mobil capacity. And like someone already said above, it's just enjoyable cooking on a large stick burner at times rather you need the capacity or not.

jbounds286
05-19-2015, 07:41 PM
$10,000 for a smoker? if your spending that much on a smoker you're a complete moron...especially with the other high quality pits out there for way less than half of that....i bought mine for about $3500...do i use the capacity? no...not yet..but i will...one day....and its nice to have for my wifes immediate family ofr 25 people...so yea...its a great buy and wasnt really that much money..not to mention the trailer isnt THAT much wider than the wagon wheel cart

rdstoll
05-19-2015, 08:04 PM
For me it basically came down to flexibility. When I was looking for an upgrade from my UDS I looked at a number of patio models of some of the better pitmakers that many talk about on here. I wanted to get a quality reverse flow pit.

Once I started looking I noticed that the price differential between a really good patio model and a modestly bigger one on a trailer wasn't a huge jump. I don't cater or run a business but when I thought about having a bigger trailer pit that I could use for church events and large family parties I thought it was worth it to go with a trailer.

I was also interested in competing some day - which I'm practicing for this year - so I thought having a trailer pit would be worth it.

jlane
05-19-2015, 08:14 PM

Yup. This site is a place for everyone regardless of social-economic status, religion, race or what have you. This thread brings nothing to the table and should be avoided. Just my opinion, of course.

Brew-Bq
05-19-2015, 08:49 PM
For $300 or less a UDS will handle 11 people no problem. No need to think bigger if you dont want to. Hell I know guys who buy enough weed in a year to buy a Shirley! Now who has a smoking problem?:wink:

Dedbrd
05-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Holy cow!!! Seems that just about everyone that replied is running a Shirley!!! That's awesome!! :clap:

jbounds286
05-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Holy cow!!! Seems that just about everyone that replied is running a Shirley!!! That's awesome!! :clap:

with good reason...once u see one in person...theres no turning back lol

spedly
05-19-2015, 11:16 PM
I got the biggest, most awesome cooker I could get past my wife without a lengthy conversation. Happy wife=happy life.

AZRaptor
05-19-2015, 11:37 PM
$10,000 for a smoker? if your spending that much on a smoker you're a complete moron...especially with the other high quality pits out there for way less than half of that....i bought mine for about $3500...do i use the capacity? no...not yet..but i will...one day....and its nice to have for my wifes immediate family ofr 25 people...so yea...its a great buy and wasnt really that much money..not to mention the trailer isnt THAT much wider than the wagon wheel cart

For me it basically came down to flexibility. When I was looking for an upgrade from my UDS I looked at a number of patio models of some of the better pitmakers that many talk about on here. I wanted to get a quality reverse flow pit.

Once I started looking I noticed that the price differential between a really good patio model and a modestly bigger one on a trailer wasn't a huge jump. I don't cater or run a business but when I thought about having a bigger trailer pit that I could use for church events and large family parties I thought it was worth it to go with a trailer.

I was also interested in competing some day - which I'm practicing for this year - so I thought having a trailer pit would be worth it.

DANG IT! Now you guys got me thinking about upping to a trailer again. Man it's not good having this much time to think about what you want to have built. :frusty: :help:

Eddiecalder
05-20-2015, 12:08 AM
Not trying to be judgemental- sorry I came across that way.

I'm more speaking from my own life situation- If I want to make a big purchase in my family, I have to present it in a way that justifies it to those who are affected by the decision. And spending any significant amount of money, which we don't have much of (7 kids, single income), it affects everyone and there needs to be a significant roi for the family.

In my case, my father in law was the one that specifically wanted a smoker, but I would be the one to cook on it. That's fine by me, I like to cook. He was looking to invest about $300, and was browsing home depot and lowes websites. That terrified me- as left to himself, he'd toss his money on some piece of garbage that I'd end up stuck with. So, I had to convince everyone that building a UDS was the biggest ROI for that price range.

BM

Hard to beat the ROI on a pit barrel cooker.

ssv3
05-20-2015, 01:58 AM
I thought we were talking about this here:becky:

http://i0.wp.com/pitbossbelt.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/The-Undisputable-Cuz-3.jpg?resize=604%2C453

On a serious note bbq is strictly a hobby for me. I bought my LSG offset because I got tired of fighting for space in my other cookers when doing large cooks. I do big cooks often and I could've gotten by with using 2 or more of my cookers but why bother if I could swing a smoker I want that works for me? Plus I fell in love with stick burner bbq flavor at a brother's house on here. I totally would've had it trailered but not enough access to the backyard. Only place I could've put it would have been the garage but I have other toys in there. Would've loved to haul the smoker and q offsite but that is not an option at this time. That's my reasoning behind my decision and I don't regret it one bit. Obviously with a big family, life situations and other priorities things would've have been different and hobbies would have to be put on the back burner just to be fair.

80DGY
05-20-2015, 05:30 AM
Hard to beat the ROI on a pit barrel cooker.

they're porcelain coated didn'tyaknow?

:biggrin1:

viking72
05-20-2015, 07:38 AM
This will fit your needs, $288 @ Walmart.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11263021_817971298297409_8499030228015549197_n.jpg ?oh=dc4632540c759dc0804b58209f035d31&oe=55C5868E

Later,
Doug

daninnewjersey
05-20-2015, 07:43 AM
So, you have a trailer that you take somewhere to do a cook. Let's say it's a church bbq or something similar. You've cooked your ribs and chicken and everyone had a good time. Now it's time to go home. What do you do with your coals? I know at comps there is a place to dispose of them, but on an event I can't imagine there would be a place to dump them. Do you wait until everything cools down? Do you drive down the road with some heat still in the chamber? Do you keep a rack warming for when you get home? Just curious and as I said, silly question.

With my stick burner, there is VERY LITTLE of anything left once I'm done cooking. The oak burns very well and only a very small pile of ash is left. I close the firebox and keep it shut with some extra heat proof ties, drive home, and usually forget about emptying it until it's the next time to cook.

viking72
05-20-2015, 07:50 AM
This is $8000. Lang 108D with chargrill.

http://www.langbbqsmokers.com/images/models/lang108/108_deluxe_char.jpg

May feed 7 with $2000 leftover.

Later,
Doug

Bob C Cue
05-20-2015, 08:06 AM
they're porcelain coated didn'tyaknow?

:biggrin1:

I did not know that!:wink:

Hog1990
05-20-2015, 08:22 AM
It is my hobby. It is what I enjoy. I mean you can fish from the bank and catch fish, but some folks like to have a boat.

Ron_L
05-20-2015, 08:31 AM
I thought we were talking about this here:becky:

http://i0.wp.com/pitbossbelt.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/The-Undisputable-Cuz-3.jpg?resize=604%2C453

That's what I thought of, too :-D I guess "mega" is relative :becky:

Everyone's wants and needs are different, and they change over time. I prefer variety oversize :-P

lcbateman3
05-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Everyone needs/wants are different.

In your situation, it sounds like a larger cooker wouldn't work for you. In mine it does. I currently own 3 WSM's, 2 Kettles, a Traeger, and a custom built pig cooker. I am on the list to get a Shirley as well. Yea, it's the most I ever spent on a smoker, but I know it's money well spent.

We like to do a lot of events for the church, BBQ for the troops, etc. So I was able to justify my purchase. If I hunted, fished, had a boat, I'd throw my money into something.

b.m.
05-20-2015, 11:03 AM
You guys make some good points about comparing the cost to other hobbies.

My boss is out right now riding around on his $10k bicycle. :)

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

BM

Bob C Cue
05-20-2015, 11:18 AM
You guys make some good points about comparing the cost to other hobbies.

My boss is out right now riding around on his $10k bicycle. :)

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

BM

Comes down to whether you want to ride a hog or cook one.

snooter2tooter
05-20-2015, 11:49 AM
I've noticed in this forum there are a pretty good number of you with big trailer smokers.

How many of you run a business, cater events and/or compete professionally, etc..., to warrant such a big smoker? or do you guys just love BBQ that much that you convinced your family you needed a $10k rig to cook a pork butt and some ribs for Sunday dinner?

BM

What warrants having big smokers for me is the $$$$$$.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j393/mclontzsaucemans/IMG_0204_zpsh3zsvq47.jpg
This is the "hog dumpster." Its huge, eats a lot of wood, 1/3 cord per ton of meat its not every fun to haul around or cook on for that matter. It gets used maybe 3 times a year when I am absolutely so busy that i have to fire it up.

daninnewjersey
05-20-2015, 01:58 PM
"hog dumpster." :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Awesome name.....

Barefoot BBQ
05-20-2015, 02:52 PM

I too have had several smokers and each time I went looking I upgraded. This time around a trailer unit was what made sense, so I ordered and customized. It may be the last I ever buy, but then again I may feel the need to downsize someday. What I am confident about is that I'll never wear this one out and it I won't ever be a better cook than it can handle.

Every man has his vices and limits. If the desire and means are there, I would never judge or question a man's choice in where to spend his money.

Smokesignalsfromtx
05-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Mine is definitely not a mega trailer, but it fits my needs. The trailer was given to me, so I converted it to mount my pits on for competition use. I designed it to be able to remove everything so I can still use the trailer if needed. The pits are removed and placed on my patio when the trailer is not in use. It's the best of both worlds for me.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w579/Smokesignalsfromtx/B472B263-C732-4825-9807-8126A2D63B03_zpst1u8g0y6.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/Smokesignalsfromtx/media/B472B263-C732-4825-9807-8126A2D63B03_zpst1u8g0y6.jpg.html)

Brew-Bq
05-22-2015, 01:55 AM
That awesome banner makes the trailer!

luke duke
05-22-2015, 01:59 PM
This will fit your needs, $288 @ Walmart.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11263021_817971298297409_8499030228015549197_n.jpg ?oh=dc4632540c759dc0804b58209f035d31&oe=55C5868E

Later,
Doug

Our needs are obviously different.