PDA

View Full Version : SWMBO wants her burgers made all Wrong!

addertooth
05-12-2015, 09:56 PM
SWMBO: Honey, I want burgers tonight.
Me: Okay honey, that sounds GREAT! You know I like any excuse to fire up the Kamado.
SWMBO: But.... You know I don't like them too thick, could you make them much thinner?
Me: Well, I guess I could, but you know I normally like them thick and juicy, and with a russet smoke ring.
SWMBO: Oh, thanks for reminding me, I don't want them smoky either.
Me: (unprintable) Grumble....Are you sure? (ever so faint hint of wounded dog whine in my voice).
SWMBO: Yes, that is exactly how I want them.
SWMBO exits stage left, and leaves a disconsolate protagonist center stage eyes downcast.

So I tried to figure out how to make myself okay with the criteria.
Then It came to me...Smashburgers, they are thin, and with no grate underneath, less smoke is absorbed.
The Big Joe was loaded with charcoal (and a small bit of hickory, Shhhh, don't tell SWMBO).
The half-moon griddle was put in the lowest position, and the grill was fired up.
While I waited, some sweet onions were sautéed, along with some portabella mushrooms.
After the grill (and griddle) was up to temperature, the balls of beef were thrown onto the griddle, and with a wicked searing sound the cook was underway.
When juices started to openly pool on the top, a quick flip was done, and a quick sear was performed.
A few brief moments and the burgers were done.

code3rrt
05-12-2015, 10:11 PM
I know this is probably crazy talk, but with that set up couldn't have made hers her way AND yours your way? I'm just sayin', you know?:shock:

Darn good looking burger either way:-D.

KC

DetTigersFan
05-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Wow... I would destroy one of those right now...

Brew-Bq
05-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Smashburgers are great. If i'm in arush and want something easy I crank the electric griddle and smash em w my smallest cast iron pan w some wax paper to keep em from sticking. So fast and so good. Looks like you got great char and wisely used two patties for your burger!

pjtexas1
05-12-2015, 10:55 PM
I know this is probably crazy talk, but with that set up couldn't have made hers her way AND yours your way? I'm just sayin', you know?:shock:

Darn good looking burger either way:-D.

KC

That's the first thing that came to mind when I read this.

ssv3
05-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Wow... I would destroy one of those right now...

I'm with him!!

addertooth
05-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Smashburgers are done hotter than how I normally make my burgers. I tend to do a low and slow (to get them smoky), then reverse sear them. The temperature of the smashburgers aren't compatible with my style.

mikemci
05-13-2015, 12:42 AM
That's the first thing that came to mind when I read this.

Me 3!! I was looking for the fat smoky one on the grate.:loco:

Titch
05-13-2015, 01:55 AM
That's about how thick a lot of us down here cook them.
Fast, Hot. Thin:becky: maybe your wife use to be an Aussie in a past life:laugh:

Yan can Cook
05-13-2015, 04:31 AM
S.W.M.B.O?.
Super Wife Makes Barbacue outstanding?

Am I off on this one?

lantern
05-13-2015, 06:00 AM
S.W.M.B.O?.
Super Wife Makes Barbacue outstanding?

Am I off on this one?

She Who Must Be Obeyed

lantern
05-13-2015, 06:06 AM
I grew up thinking that I'd never want anything more than I thick smokey burger.

......Now I put just as much work into getting them thin as any other part of the cook!:tsk: I just like the crust ratio so much better and they double and triple better.:biggrin1:

chicagokp
05-13-2015, 06:11 AM
Nothing wrong with that! :thumb:

LarryO1947
05-13-2015, 06:27 AM
:clap: :thumb:

Nuco59
05-13-2015, 06:45 AM
"happy wife, happy life".... and you get to eat burgers.

win win!

BBQMongo
05-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Fine looking burgers!

charrederhead
05-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Nice looking burgers and I love that griddle! I like burgers both ways. I guess that makes me bi. :shock: