PDA

View Full Version : Dry brining question

Markus
05-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I have a thawed turkey in the fridge which I plan to cook on Saturday or Sunday. I plan to dry brine it. So I am wondering when I should brine it.

Should I maybe salt the bird and place it in plastic bag until the day before and then leave it uncovered to help the skin dry a bit so it will be crispy?

What would you suggest?

Bludawg
05-12-2015, 07:36 PM
I Dry brine all my turkeys I do it 36 hrs ahead of the cook in an oven roasting bag. Dry brine for 24 hrs rinse and put it on a rack inside a sheet pan in the bottom of the fridge to dry over night.

I use this recipe I have use different citrus with it to change things up and it comes out Farking amazing

Salt-Roasted Turkey with Lemon and Oregano
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s124/res/f681530b-69b8-46cf-9ab1-a94a908f2b74.jpg?resizeSmall&width=774

Rub:

1/3 cup coarse kosher salt (preferably Diamond Crystal brand)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

For salt rub:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl.
Stock:

3 lemons corsley chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 onion
2 tbl chopped fresh oregano
2 tsp chopped fresh tyme
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil divided
6 tbl fresh lemon juice
31.5-4 cups low sodium chicken stock

For turkey:
Rinse turkey. Pull out metal insert that holds legs and remove fat pads from neck and main cavities. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons salt rub inside cavities. Slide bird into turkey-size oven bag. Sprinkle remaining salt rub over bird. Close bag; place on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate turkey 18 to 24 hours.
To roast turkey:
Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350°F. Place rack in large roasting pan. Rinse turkey; pat dry. Combine lemons, next 6 ingredients, 1/4 cup oil, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in large bowl; spoon into main cavity. Whisk remaining oil and lemon juice in small bowl. Tuck wing tips under; tie legs loosely. Place turkey on rack; brush with some lemon oil.
Pour 2 cups stock into roasting pan. Roast turkey 1 hour. Brush all over with remaining lemon oil. Roast turkey 45 minutes; pour 1 cup stock into pan. Roast 45 minutes; add 1/2 cup to 11/2 cups stock to pan to maintain liquid level. Turn pan around. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer turkey to platter; reserve pan with juices. Tent turkey loosely with foil; let rest 30 to 45 minutes (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees).

SmokinAussie
05-12-2015, 07:53 PM
WOW.

Guess that question is NAILED!

Cheers!

Bill

Boston Smoker
05-13-2015, 11:56 AM
I found this to be a really helpful resource when doing a Turkey last year.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html#dry

cowgirl
05-13-2015, 02:03 PM
I like the one from Epicurious..

Rub:

1/3 cup coarse kosher salt (preferably Diamond Crystal brand)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 14- to 16-pound turkey; neck, heart, and gizzard reserved for Ultimate Turkey Stock (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/361839)
3 lemons, coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups Ultimate Turkey Stock (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/361839) or low-salt chicken broth, divided
Greek-Inspired Fresh Oregano and Giblet Pan Gravy (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/361731)

Preparation

For salt rub:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl.
For turkey:
Rinse turkey. Pull out metal insert that holds legs and remove fat pads from neck and main cavities. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons salt rub inside cavities. Slide bird into turkey-size oven bag. Sprinkle remaining salt rub over bird. Close bag; place on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate turkey 18 to 24 hours.
To roast turkey:
Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350°F. Place rack in large roasting pan. Rinse turkey; pat dry. Combine lemons, next 6 ingredients, 1/4 cup oil, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in large bowl; spoon into main cavity. Whisk remaining oil and lemon juice in small bowl. Tuck wing tips under; tie legs loosely. Place turkey on rack; brush with some lemon oil.
Pour 2 cups stock into roasting pan. Roast turkey 1 hour. Brush all over with remaining lemon oil. Roast turkey 45 minutes; pour 1 cup stock into pan. Roast 45 minutes; add 1/2 cup to 11/2 cups stock to pan to maintain liquid level. Turn pan around. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer turkey to platter; reserve pan with juices. Tent turkey loosely with foil; let rest 30 to 45 minutes (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees).

Bludawg
05-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Beat ya to it Jeanie:wink:

Markus
05-13-2015, 03:30 PM
I must try this recipe! Thanks guys!

mahenryak
05-13-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm going to tuck this brine recipe away, as well. Thank you.

HOG FAN
05-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Thread saved!