PDA

View Full Version : I Admit It, I'm Addicted

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Chicken breasts on the left, 2 butts on the right. Got the butts on very late this morning (9:30). Wanted to inject and rub them last night, but was just too worn out and had to go to bed. Had to do all of that this morning, and slept a little later than normal. But that's okay, we are in no hurries when it comes to this.

LarryO1947
05-09-2015, 11:35 AM
:thumb:

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Never tried to use the Char-Griller as a smoker before. Hoping to get those breasts done about lunch time.

SmittyJonz
05-09-2015, 11:44 AM
I said the Same Thing Prom Nite so many years ago.........:heh:

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Funny you'd say that. After I typed that post, I was proofreading it and I thought "What would my pastor say if he knew I was posting Online about breasts and butts?"

bshm
05-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Right out in the front like that? Here comes the neighbors....

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm new to this neighborhood, moved here last August. But I do feel like I draw a lot of stares every time I fire up the Weber. A couple of older guys from the neighborhood came over a couple of weeks ago and introduced themselves. It was my second time for pulled pork. They were checking out the cabinet for the Weber. They were so nice, I had to promise samples. I delivered enough for 3 sandwiches the next day (complete with homemade sauce, buns, and slaw). The one fellow returned the container later that day, and said he was just sitting down to lunch when I rang the doorbell. He said he rejected what his wife made, and ate two of the sandwiches instead.

Dauvis
05-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I like what you have done with your WSM.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Thank you. I appreciate that. If you want to know how to build it, let me know. A couple other folks here expressed interest, and I'm willing to walk anyone through it who would like to make one.

SmittyJonz
05-09-2015, 12:04 PM
I cook in my Driveway too. I've had cars passing by turn around and come back and park and guy ask me BBQ related questions on a few occasions and I've sold a smoker like that too.

bshm
05-09-2015, 12:05 PM
I'm new to this neighborhood, moved here last August. But I do feel like I draw a lot of stares every time I fire up the Weber. A couple of older guys from the neighborhood came over a couple of weeks ago and introduced themselves. It was my second time for pulled pork. They were checking out the cabinet for the Weber. They were so nice, I had to promise samples. I delivered enough for 3 sandwiches the next day (complete with homemade sauce, buns, and slaw). The one fellow returned the container later that day, and said he was just sitting down to lunch when I rang the doorbell. He said he rejected what his wife made, and ate two of the sandwiches instead.

I was just kidding. We had really good neighbors but they just moved and now the house is empty so now we're waiting to see what we get. Hopefully not like the one's that came before them with a shiftless meth hed son in law in tow.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I used the Weber out back the first few times, but it proved to be terribly inconvenient. I had to disassemble it all the time, as I refuse to store it outside, even covered. Also, going back and forth to the kitchen required going through 2 closed doors. That got old real quick. Now, I can roll it into a corner when the shelves are folded down. No more assembly/disassembly, other than for cleaning. And, only one door from the garage puts me right in the kitchen. I should put one of my 2 fridges in the garage. I'll think about that.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:08 PM
I figured you were joking, no biggie. I do like using it out front a lot better though.

Bob C Cue
05-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Looks like your caddy is holding up well. Have you put any sealer on it yet? Just curious...

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:10 PM
No, but I do need to get it sealed. It's starting to look kind of nasty... where drips have landed and such.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't mind trying to build a UDS. I was considering that before I bought the Weber. But I didn't want the hassle of trying to source the parts. Being new to this, I figured I had better start with well-known equipment. The reason for a UDS would be capacity. My wife says with all of the work involved, it makes sense to smoke A LOT of meat, and freeze the leftovers.

The last couple of times I've made pulled pork, we used some of the leftovers for hash. Her version of hash is just diced potatoes, onions, and meat. Fried in a pan with a little bit of oil. We've had hash with all kinds of leftover meat over the years. But the smoked pork blows everything else out of the water.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:24 PM
The breasts are almost done. I'll post a pic when I get them in the house.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Finished product.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 12:41 PM
The 2 rubs I used.

LarryO1947
05-09-2015, 12:51 PM
:clap: :thumb:

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 08:55 PM
OK, maybe I lied earlier (about not being in a hurry with tasty meat). 11.5 hours in, and still not quite done. Temp needs to come up about 5 degrees, and the butts can come off. By far my longest cook ever. In about 38 minutes, they will have been on for 12 hours. I'm not complaining, just stating facts. Obviously, it got too late to have sammiches for dinner tonight (bummer!). But on the flip side, we'll have plenty for the coming week and for the freezer.

Thank goodness for cereal, the ole standby meal, LOL.

Happy Hapgood
05-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Looking Good!

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Got the smaller of the two (about 7 pounds) off and pulled. The big one (about 9 pounds) is still on, with an internal temp of 174. Looks like it could be a couple of hours yet. That's okay, I'm loving it.

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Here's the one I just pulled. I have to stay away from it, or there won't be any for tomorrow.

CakeM1x
05-09-2015, 10:34 PM
I gave my neighbor some pulled pork shortly after we moved in. Let him use my uds when we were out of town and 6 months later he bought a smoker. Gotta spread the Q around!

wire-it-up
05-09-2015, 10:36 PM
I agree. It's too good to keep to oneself. I'm glad my brother got me started on it.

mikemci
05-10-2015, 12:59 AM
Other than the drum, you can get everything you need to build a UDS at Home Depot. I'm sure you must have one close by. You won't regret it!

wire-it-up
05-10-2015, 01:11 AM
I do live near a Home Depot... a few of them, actually. I have seen a listing for clean metal drums on Craigslist in this area. I'll think about it. With what I've spent on the Weber, the cabinet I built for it, and other accessories, Mama may want me to slow down a little on opening my wallet for a while.

wire-it-up
05-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Mother's Day meal. The Weber kicked my tail this time around.

wire-it-up
05-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Looks like your caddy is holding up well. Have you put any sealer on it yet? Just curious...

I started applying the sealer today. Man, that's some thirsty wood. It was a full gallon, I'm not halfway done, and I've used probably close to 1/4th of it. The can says to apply 2 coats, sanding between coats. I don't think I'll do that. I'm gonna get one good coat on it and call it done.

There were 2 or 3 spots where the water pan had dripped on the bottom of the cabinet. I thought about trying to sand those spots off (probably wouldn't work anyway, as they penetrated deep into the wood). But then, I decided to just seal over them without trying to sand. Adds a little character to the cabinet, I think.