PDA

View Full Version : First brisket, would appreciate some friendly pointers.

BorgognaII
05-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Hi all in the bbq brethren community. So this is my first post here on the site though I've been a member since 2012, finally got the guts to post. Well I plan on smoking an 11 3/4lb brisket on my dad's 18.5 wsm. My dad is a nice guy, he just gave me the smoker, and some of you may know him here by leanza. Anyways I plan to use the minion method. I plan on following bigabyte's Basic brisket tutorial:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

My dad made a big issue about brisket stall, I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks! :razz:

Pyle's BBQ
05-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Best advise: Once the smoker is up to temp, put your meat on and don't open the lid for at least 4 hours. Keep the lid on as long as possible. The stall will happen, you just have to wait it out.

darkoozy
05-07-2015, 11:35 PM
good advice...ignore the stall, just let it ride and you will be fine

leanza
05-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Go get em Joe. The Brethren are behind you. Post as you go, tomorrow. Do your homework here as we have a wealth of info. If you can post pics that would be great. But all in all, there are a lot of artsian support, along the way, here.

Brothers! Get behind my son. As a favor to me..Love you all.

BorgognaII
05-07-2015, 11:41 PM
So ignore the stall, gotcha. How often should I expect to add coals, and how full should I fill the chimney with briquets in the begining?

Bludawg
05-07-2015, 11:42 PM
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Pack in as much as it will hold mix 4-5 man fist sized chunks of wood in with it. Light up a 1/2 chimney once it ashes over dump it on top it will last the whole cook.

FLG_Poncho
05-07-2015, 11:56 PM
So ignore the stall, gotcha. How often should I expect to add coals, and how full should I fill the chimney with briquets in the begining?

On my 18" WSM I can get 13-15 hours using a full load of Kingsford and running 250-275, which should be more than enough for a 11lb brisket. I usually load it to the top (maybe a tiny bit above) of the coal ring and then add about half a chimney of lit coals to the middle in a little bowl I make in the charcoal.

It's been fairly consistent but wind, ambient temp, etc can have a slight impact... though you should still have plenty for what you're cooking.

grantw
05-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Don't loose focus that it is the thickest part that you want a good feel on, when I light my wsm I bury the chunks like bludog already said and I have the basket full, then I remove coal from the centre and light about half a bucket, mine just be my analism kicking in but I don't like the coals overflowing and if you get enough over full it will be touching the water pan.

BorgognaII
05-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow and an update. Crossing my fingers.

Joe

LarryO1947
05-08-2015, 03:52 AM
Good luck,Joe. I am sure you will do fine.

smoke ninja
05-08-2015, 08:33 AM
If it doesn't fit you can always drape the brisket over a stainless steel bowl until it shrinks some. Its a smaller one so you may be ok.

Id say go simple on the season.

Patience will be tested and rewarded. Its done when probe tender, if cooking over 275 this possibly could be over 210*

C Rocke
05-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Go get em Joe. The Brethren are behind you. Post as you go, tomorrow. Do your homework here as we have a wealth of info. If you can post pics that would be great. But all in all, there are a lot of artsian support, along the way, here.

Brothers! Get behind my son. As a favor to me..Love you all.

BBQ in the Borgogna genes for sure. Listen to ol' Tom, and it will all be good. You've got a good teacher and a lot of friends here!

Ron_L
05-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I think you have enough tips, so I just want to tell you to let Tom know that he should pop in once in a while and say hi!

Enjoy the cook, Joe!

BorgognaII
05-08-2015, 05:00 PM
I think my dad/Tom is following this thread, and your right he should. Thanks everyone for the info but I live in New Mexico and it's extremely windy today so I won't be attempting the smoke tonight. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow. My dad sure does know a lot, and I went to him first but he wanted me to take advantage of the good ol bbq brethren community, so thanks once again!

leanza
05-08-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm here and can't wait to see how things go.....Thanks to my Brother Chris and I cant thank everyone else, enough. Joe. Let us know your progress when you start. We want details......

BorgognaII
05-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Minion method... Birquets around coffee can or put lit coals on top. Who prefers which method and why?

leanza
05-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Minion Method provides a slower, even burning of the coals which extends your fuel consumption which allows you not to peak, which allows you to maintain steady cooking temps. In my IMHO. Lets get this cook going, so's we can stop talking and start doing fun!

smoke ninja
05-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I prefer a minion burn that goes from left to right. Way more stable than right to left imo

1buckie
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM
I prefer a minion burn that goes from left to right. Way more stable than right to left imo

Yeah, this is WSM.....just do kettles here.....pork: counter-clockwise,
beef: clockwise.....all other meats: cook's choice.....

I'm glad somebody figured this out for the Bullet smokers in the group.....:-D

BorgognaII
05-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Ok, well thanks for the input. Tonight's the night. I'm excited to get it going.

Titch
05-11-2015, 06:16 AM
Good luck mate, you read Bigabytes Tutorial ?it helped me the first time

BorgognaII
05-13-2015, 06:40 PM
So my brisket turned out pretty good for a first timer. I put it on around 12:30 am, watched it till around 3:30 am, then to bed. The brisket was put on around 235 deg with all vents fully open, and by 1:30- 2 it was running near 250 deg, by 3:30 the temp was steady so I went to sleep. Woke up around 9 and the pit temp was sitting around 211, not sure how long it had been a 211 for. Added water and moved the coals around temp went back up to 250 but it was a little bit of a battle from then on. Internal temp at that time I think was around 160 and I believe that was the stall temp, because it took some time to get over 160. In the end I took it out after 14 hours. Used the probe to make sure it was done, most of it seemed to be. Put it in a pan and covered it with foil, poked holes in foil for venting. Put the brisket in a ice chest with towels inside for 2 1/2 hours. The brisket seemed a little dry, not too bad, great smoke flavor but not the biggest smoke ring. Bark looked good in my opinion. Bottom line is that we all enjoyed it and still are, thanks to all your advice. I would upload pictures but this site wont let me yet, so I think my dad will post them to this thread for me.

Thanks,
Joe

mahenryak
05-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Briskets take some practice, and even when you think you have a good feel for it, some still turn out better than others. Consistency is what we all strive for, I think. But it can be a bit of a moving target. Can you share more about the particulars of your brisket? Knowing what to look for when you're picking out your brisket is pretty important, too. I'm not saying that you don't know, just emphasizing that it is important.

Happy Hapgood
05-13-2015, 07:37 PM
It appears the Grasshopper has snatched the Brisket form the Master's hand. (Old Kung Foo reference for you young pups out there). :laugh:

BorgognaII
05-13-2015, 08:45 PM
The brisket was choice and 11.7t lbs, and I bought it at Wal-Mart for 3.48 a lb. I basically picked out the one that had the best flexibility, and that looked good, the blood wasn't dark not was any of the meat. Looked for the one that had the least amount of fat. Also sell by date was the end of the month. That's how I picked it out. I have pictures and would love to post them, can't figure how to.

BorgognaII
05-13-2015, 09:29 PM
I figured how to upload! Here ya go.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111184&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111185&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111186&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111187&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111188&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111189&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111190&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111191&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111192&stc=1&d=1431566608

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111193&stc=1&d=1431566608

Brauma
05-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Keep a BBQ journal starting with your data from this cook.

People think I'm crazy (I'm used to it) but I swear by cooking my brisket over a full pan with a beer & Lipton onion soup mixture. Even my own teammates have told me they dont think it adds anything to the flavor of a brisket but I swear it does. Regardless, I can't cook a brisket now without it. Call it mental or call me genius but dont ever call me late for a brisket sammich.

Oh, use a dark beer like a brown ale.

leanza
05-13-2015, 09:44 PM
So my brisket turned out pretty good for a first timer. I put it on around 12:30 am, watched it till around 3:30 am, then to bed. The brisket was put on around 235 deg with all vents fully open, and by 1:30- 2 it was running near 250 deg, by 3:30 the temp was steady so I went to sleep. Woke up around 9 and the pit temp was sitting around 211, not sure how long it had been a 211 for. Added water and moved the coals around temp went back up to 250 but it was a little bit of a battle from then on. Internal temp at that time I think was around 160 and I believe that was the stall temp, because it took some time to get over 160. In the end I took it out after 14 hours. Used the probe to make sure it was done, most of it seemed to be. Put it in a pan and covered it with foil, poked holes in foil for venting. Put the brisket in a ice chest with towels inside for 2 1/2 hours. The brisket seemed a little dry, not too bad, great smoke flavor but not the biggest smoke ring. Bark looked good in my opinion. Bottom line is that we all enjoyed it and still are, thanks to all your advice. I would upload pictures but this site wont let me yet, so I think my dad will post them to this thread for me.

Thanks,
Joe

Well freaking done, for a Green Horn. Very proud of your effort and we appreciate the details and pics. Was it juicy or dry????? Keep cooking and dialing it in. Get together with some locals around there and have fun learning together, I know there are some Bretheren around Albuquerque. Way to go son. Much LOVE!

lankster35
05-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Awesome job for the first cook. I can;t tell from the pictures so will just ask - I used to smother my brisket in rub and it looks like you did too but over the years I have cut back considerably and now just give it a good coating but can still see the meat through the rub. I do way less than I do on a butt as I think the butt needs it. Just an idea to maybe let some more smoke get to the meat.

leanza
05-13-2015, 09:59 PM
The brisket was choice and 11.7t lbs, and I bought it at Wal-Mart for 3.48 a lb. I basically picked out the one that had the best flexibility, and that looked good, the blood wasn't dark not was any of the meat. Looked for the one that had the least amount of fat. Also sell by date was the end of the month. That's how I picked it out. I have pictures and would love to post them, can't figure how to.

You say you looked for one with the least amount of fat....Not me. Fat is flavor and the collagen equals tenderness as it breaks down over the long cook.

BorgognaII
05-14-2015, 01:10 AM
I did put run on it, but didn't smother it, should of taken a pic. But yes you could see the meat with the rub. Yea dad I figured the less fat the better, and I did cut a decent amount off as well, so the more fat the better? Hey there Brauma, your right I should keep a journal, I don't remember all the details of this smoke, I was somewhat like a chicken with my head cut off lol, I'm a green horn...

BorgognaII
05-14-2015, 01:11 AM
Who here on the brethren lives in New Mexico?