PDA

View Full Version : Injecting a Waygu Brisket

Jeffm827i
05-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Going to do my first Waygu on Sat. My question is for those that compete do you inject a Waygu for Comps? I always inject the Prime Briskets I use but I have read a lot of comments about how strong the Beef flavor is in the Waygu and I don't want to over power it with adding injection. Please share your thoughts.

JS-TX
05-07-2015, 12:13 PM
I've never cooked a Wagyu, but have heard the same things as you. If it were me, I would practice w/out injecting, at least for my 1st Wagyu cook. If it has the marbling and extra beefy flavor it seems it wouldn't need it.. but then again comp. cooking is different. Please post your results!

el_matt
05-07-2015, 12:28 PM
I've never done a wagyu, either. Then again, I've never injected a brisket, either. That being said, I wouldn't inject my first wagyu, I'd want all that natural(expensive) flavor to stand on it's own. Just my opinion, you won't be wrong either way.

Matt

Jbowie
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
I've done 2 wagyus and I did not inject either of them. They are so near perfect that it would be a shame to try to imptove.

I used to inject select and choice but no longer do that now that I have learned to cook to probe tender.

bvbull200
05-07-2015, 01:23 PM
If you are cooking it as part of an ongoing learning experience, I think the best thing to do is get VERY basic, so you can see what the Waygu has to offer in the first place.

If it were me, I'd do salt, pepper, and maybe a touch of garlic and not use any injection. Get a baseline for that hunk of meat, then go from there.

MikeJ65
05-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Most people that are serious competitors are cooking Wagyu and most are injecting. I wouldn't say that Wagyu has better flavor than other breeds. It has more fine marbling and the fat is softer (more like duck fat).

ITBFQ
05-07-2015, 02:58 PM
I cooked a SRF wagyu brisket once and it was awesome (thanks BBQ Santa!) No injection at all, just a little Bovine Bold. Turned out great. But this was for a dinner for my teammate and our families, not for a contest. Injected wagyu certainly isn't required to do well in contests.