PDA

View Full Version : i just noticed why im having trouble keeping temps on new wsm

bradymartin
05-06-2015, 01:47 AM
the lid/dome is actually warped. its slightly oval shaped. i cant believe i didnt see this sooner.

everyone says some smoke will come out of the sides and it does. so i thought that is normal.

out of curiosity on todays cook i decided to look at the wsm from the top and the dome/lid is indeed warped. the dome is slightly egg shaped. not sure if damage happened during shipping.

anyway, i bent it into as circular shape as i can. i am sure this will fix my problem but is bending it going to cause future problems? not sure how metal works because of the heat. i know it contracts and expands.

should i contact weber and just get it replaced? btw the built in thermometer is **** but i have a dot with air temp probe.

TonyT
05-06-2015, 02:30 AM
If you have any doubts, they have great customer service. I'm sure you could get a replacement. How oval was it, considering it still fit in the lip?

ssv3
05-06-2015, 02:36 AM
Some weber lid are out of round. Since yours is fairly new just contact CS and they will take care of you.

grantw
05-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Im not sure how out of round yours is but you can grab the bottom and give it a pull, i had to do this to one of my bowls and its mint now

Pocchampion
05-06-2015, 08:11 AM
If it fits in the lip, you are fine. With use the wsm seals up nicely over time and is very easy to control temps. Fatties and pork butts will get you to a happy place quickly.

STLBBQer
05-06-2015, 08:58 AM
As others have stated, use Weber customer service. I had a cracked side table on my Performer and a scratched lid on my Jumbo Joe when I bought those. Weber sent out replacements ASAP. It's some of the best customer service I've had from any company.

SmittyJonz
05-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Are you running Lump Charcoal? I find Lump too inconsistent on temps.

mwmac
05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Are you running Lump Charcoal? I find Lump too inconsistent on temps.

I only run lump in my WSM. Just remember to pack it tightly for a consistent burn...

darkoozy
05-06-2015, 02:03 PM
I concur with others... If its fairly new, call their customer service, they will send you another lid. When mine was just 2 months old, I dropped the lid and bent it badly out of shape. I called Weber expecting to pay full price, as I told them I damaged the lid. They sent me a new one and only charged me 1/3 of the retail price as a courtesy and free shipping.

As for leaks and temperature control, dont worry about it, as it gets more seasoning it will seal up. I also recommend using briquettes, they burn very consistently and your temps wont yo-yo on you.

bradymartin
05-06-2015, 07:27 PM
i emailed them and they are asking this

"In regards to the lid, please take two diameter measurements of the bowl and lid at perpendicular 90 degree angles"

hmm not sure why they want it at 90 degree angles. does that matter? maybe im understanding what they want wrong. the body and bowl fit together perfectly.

anyone guess what they mean?

HookedOnQ
05-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Sounds like they mean across the lid in two places 90 degrees from each other. If its oval your two measurements will be off

Harbormaster
05-06-2015, 09:59 PM
They want you to measure the diameter of the lid opening in two directions so they can see how out of round it is. If it's truly round, the diameters will be the same.

SmittyJonz
05-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Measure at 12 n 6 o'clock then 3 and 9 o'clock.

castlepines
05-06-2015, 11:34 PM
At one point I had forgotten that my WSM was in the garage after a cook this past winter. I backed in and stopped just as the bumper made contact with it. I didn't even notice until the next day. The barrel was pinned between my bumper and a bench in the back. Some gentle pushing and pulling got it back to perfect. The lid would be just as easy. It's not a difficult fix and would seem easier than emailing, measuring, shipping and then waiting for the new one.