PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed BBQ Experience

tnfan47
05-04-2015, 01:04 PM
I've been eye ballin this bbq joint near my work for a quite a while. Decided to go there today and try out the brisket. Ordered a brisket sandwich and a couple sides. Total disappointed. It might as well be pot roast sandwich. The sides were okay, but already turned off by the brisket. Pretty much threw half of it away.

Anyone else would like to share their bad bbq experience?

Sausage Warrior
05-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Sounds typical to me. Most BBQ joints suck.

Brisket73
05-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Agreed. I was at a reputable establishment outside of Nashville. Unfortunately the Brisket was dry and the pulled pork was mush. On another note, doesn't this tell us why we have to keep cooking for ourselves.

LarryO1947
05-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Bummer!!!!!

eddieh70301
05-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a Dickey's BBQ.

Yendor
05-04-2015, 01:37 PM
That's typical for my experiences. It's better at home, but then again sometimes we go out and find the best we can. You don't know unless we try. And knowing is half the battle.

insaneh
05-04-2015, 01:39 PM
My search continues also. Went to a local place I've been driving by for years.
Read the reviews first. After I went, my review stated that folks giving it 5 stars have obviously never had quality Q.
I drove by a roadside one yesterday. I may stop in sometime and talk to him before I sample anything.

Yendor
05-04-2015, 01:40 PM
HA! HA! HA! I was thinking the same thing, was afraid to state it though.

pigville porkers
05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Everyone of my friends and family have said "you have ruined all BBQ resturantss for us" hahah mission accomplished! :boxing:

Bamabuzzard
05-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Everyone of my friends and family have said "you have ruined all BBQ resturantss for us" hahah mission accomplished! :boxing:

Yeah, that's the common answer I get. However, I do tell them if I had to cook that much meat at one time I doubt it would taste as good. Cooking a lot of meat at one time for the masses isn't an easy task. Especially if consistency and quality is what you're looking for (and it is). :thumb:

Oak-n-hickory
05-04-2015, 02:54 PM
My worst experience was with a meat market in the town where I grew up. They had a small oil drum smoker out back, and kept a pot of chopped beef in sauce going up front. Not the sort of thing you'd dream of as barbecue, but if you were in there to get some meat anyway, the occasional sandwich wasn't that bad.

Until the time after I'd moved away and was back visiting family there and made a trip to that butcher shop we'd used for many years. I picked up a bag of their sandwiches for lunch. When I opened mine to add a shot of Tabasco, it was crawling with maggots.

The worst thing was that, when I took the bag full of maggoty sandwiches back, they didn't seem all that surprised. That was my last trip there.

A distant second place goes to what may have been the most heavily-advertised barbecue joint anywhere: Ward's BBQ, Shepherd, TX. All roads leading in its general direction were plastered with loads of signs advertising it, as well as what they called cider. The general advertising approach was sort of Burma-Shave on steroids, counting down the miles to go.

Needless to say, the meat was pretty grim and greasy, served on a pile of white bread, and the cider - in a choice of flavors - was a lot closer to Kool-Aid than to real cider. The place's only reason for its continued existence was that it was in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully it's long gone by now.

OK, I remember another bad one. One evening, a friend and I stopped at a barbecue joint which will remain nameless since it's probably still there. We needed to grab a quick meal before night classes at the University of Houston. We'd patronized this joint several times and found it to be adequate - better than the other dining options in that neighborhood, at any rate. But we'd always wondered about the menu item, "Rib Sandwich". I've since had rib sandwiches elsewhere, and the meat was removed from the bones before serving. This joint decided to play a little ethnic joke on us and served a short slab of ribs between four slices of white bread - bones and all. We found another place where the food wasn't much better, but at least the beer was cold.

Another for the hall of shame, which will also remain nameless: a joint on the outskirts of Brenham, TX, which featured barbecued mutton. Talk about a crime against nature.

OK, does anyone wonder why I do my own barbecue now?

Bamabuzzard
05-04-2015, 03:01 PM
My worst experience was with a meat market in the town where I grew up. They had a small oil drum smoker out back, and kept a pot of chopped beef in sauce going up front. Not the sort of thing you'd dream of as barbecue, but if you were in there to get some meat anyway, the occasional sandwich wasn't that bad.

Until the time after I'd moved away and was back visiting family there and made a trip to that butcher shop we'd used for many years. I picked up a bag of their sandwiches for lunch. When I opened mine to add a shot of Tabasco, it was crawling with maggots.

The worst thing was that, when I took the bag full of maggoty sandwiches back, they didn't seem all that surprised. That was my last trip there.

A distant second place goes to what may have been the most heavily-advertised barbecue joint anywhere: Ward's BBQ, Shepherd, TX. All roads leading in its general direction were plastered with loads of signs advertising it, as well as what they called cider. The general advertising approach was sort of Burma-Shave on steroids, counting down the miles to go.

Needless to say, the meat was pretty grim and greasy, served on a pile of white bread, and the cider - in a choice of flavors - was a lot closer to Kool-Aid than to real cider. The place's only reason for its continued existence was that it was in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully it's long gone by now.

:sick:

IamMadMan
05-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Those of us who cook our own BBQ, we put a lot of pride and passion into our craft. It's hard to go sit down at a restaurant and sing the praises of how good their BBQ is when we are comparing it to meat that came off a pit that we tended ourselves for many long hours cooked just the way we like it.

As far as BBQ restaurants are concerned, too many people open them in strip malls and other terrible locations where they don't have a smoke house to cook authentic Q so they have to resort to other cooking methods that unfortunately they think is acceptable. Another factor is time, time is money, and they do not take the time to painstakingly trim, brine, or rub the meat as it should be done to enhance the final flavors of the food.

Also When dining out Price, Quantity, and Quality are the 3 things that factor into the equation of perceived value for the money. It all depends on which of those factors the owner places their importance on. That persons value may not equal to ours, especially when it comes to determining a person's definition of quality food.

A cheap $3.00 steak will always taste like a cheap $3.00 steak no matter how you dress it up.

I have found that more times than not, eating at a bbq restaurant ends in utter disappointment.

Pitbull
05-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Yes as a matter of fact and it was at one of the South Texas legends, Kreuz BBQ. They brag about how they don't have a sauce, but at least on the brisket I had there they need gallons of it. The brisket was dry, grey with no smoke ring and tough as leather. Pretty much tastless too. It really suprised me given their reputation. The rest of the joints in the Lockhart area were great!

smoke ninja
05-04-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't think this is limited to just Q. I've had plenty of mediocre restaurant offerings. I've given up on most chain establishments. There are some diamonds in the rough out there. For Q locally I've only tried a few spots. Lockharts is pretty consistent and the pitmaster is a brethren. The combo plater is about $20 and comes with brisket, pulled pork, quarter slab of ribs, a sausage and 2 sides. I like to make my own bit it's nice to get off of work and have some real Q sometimes.

Drunk Monkey
05-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Every BBQ meal I have had in airports falls in this category. Including the Salt Lick in DFW.

Bamabuzzard
05-04-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't think this is limited to just Q. I've had plenty of mediocre restaurant offerings. I've given up on most chain establishments. There are some diamonds in the rough out there. For Q locally I've only tried a few spots. Lockharts is pretty consistent and the pitmaster is a brethren. The combo plater is about $20 and comes with brisket, pulled pork, quarter slab of ribs, a sausage and 2 sides. I like to make my own bit it's nice to get off of work and have some real Q sometimes.

Brother you ain't lying. I love making my own Q but it is good sometimes to walk in and just eat. But it's hard to do that when the Q isn't even up to par to your own.

Joe Black
05-04-2015, 04:10 PM

Why would anyone spend good money to buy one of their franchises?

The quality of restaurant BBQ will never stack up against what we can make in our backyard.

If you want a really good eye-opening exercise, try to figure the cost of a plate of comp BBQ to sell to the public. Don't worry about rent, maintenance, utilities, employees or anything else. Just look at raw food cost. (Well, maybe not raw). There is absolutely no way that will ever happen, so just stay home.

AlwaysSmokey
05-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Ha,.. that's funny you said comp. Q. Because most of the sentiments offered here on Q places is the same way I feel about comp. Q. Just gross and out of touch with what the real stuff is.

just sayin...

EDIT: However, as others have also stated, I have no-doubt that running a place would be very difficult. So hats off to those that do and maintain quality. I personally do not go out for bbq. ever. It's my favorite thing to do, so that would be like watching someone else ride my motorcycle.... just,... no.....

Bludawg
05-04-2015, 04:49 PM
I have gone out fro Q twice this year at two new locations that have popped up.Both Sucked big time! I won't go in to the details here. I think the biggest problems are Southern pride pits letting the gas do the yoemans work, Cooking more than they sell and holding it for two long. Since most places have no formal training in a commercial setting they are in over their heads. However BBQ is hot right now so if the sign says BBQ they will come. Most of the general public think of BBQ as Burgers & dogs or get their Q from a bottle they are ignorant of what good BBQ is so sloppy over cooked ribs and dried out Brisket is of no consequence.

16Adams
05-04-2015, 05:17 PM
I seldom eat BBQ ribs, pulled pork brisket etc. out. But what I have found is most qjoints have respectable if not damn good mild/spicy sausage, sides and condiment bar (cherry peppers, jalapeños onions pickles etc. I have not bought a loaf of white bread in 20 years. Most Qjoints serve white bread. So take a slice or a link, wrap it up in white bread with Jalapeno and their house sauce and be FARKN Happy.

Richard1233
05-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Most bbq restaurants suck. I don't buy bbq anymore, too much fun doing it myself and quality is always better at home.

cowgirl
05-04-2015, 06:37 PM
I don't eat bbq out anymore. I've had mostly bad experiences.
These were babyback ribs with a 1/4" to 1/2" layer of thick sweet sauce poured over the top.
I tried to scrape some of the sauce off to get at a rib. They might have been boiled. They were fall off the bone, mushy and no smoke flavor.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/cowgirls-photos_album/icky%20ribs/121e2f0a-c020-4448-99d0-3a56124d43f3_zpsfab26769.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/cowgirls-photos_album/icky%20ribs/22e8322a-ed3d-4db6-9bfc-90943f434f3f_zpsb80046bf.jpg

I really did try to eat them but didn't get far. :redface:

When I eat Q out, I go to any of my friend's cookouts. They all cook mighty fine food. :thumb:

Stingerhook
05-04-2015, 06:54 PM
These were babyback ribs with a 1/4" to 1/2" layer of thick sweet sauce poured over the top.
I tried to scrape some of the sauce off to get at a rib. They might have been boiled. They were fall off the bone, mushy and no smoke flavor.

When I eat Q out, I go to any of my friend's cookouts. They all cook mighty fine food. :thumb:

Jeanie,
I think those ribs just hit #1 on the charts of the worst I have ever seen.

16Adams
05-04-2015, 07:01 PM
At first I thought it was a chocolate eclair

cowgirl
05-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Jeanie,
I think those ribs just hit #1 on the charts of the worst I have ever seen.

Marty, as I posted the pic, my tummy got a little bit queasy...remembering what they tasted like. I've learned my lesson. No BBQ joints for me. (unless I try the sausage like suggested above). :-D :thumb:

cowgirl
05-04-2015, 07:02 PM
At first I thought it was a chocolate eclair

lol I wish! :grin:

Beentown
05-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Most of these joints cook too much, use too much heat proof Saran wrap and too much reliance on the hot holding.

lowbass
05-04-2015, 07:49 PM
I've been eye ballin this bbq joint near my work for a quite a while. Decided to go there today and try out the brisket. Ordered a brisket sandwich and a couple sides. Total disappointed. It might as well be pot roast sandwich. The sides were okay, but already turned off by the brisket. Pretty much threw half of it away.

Anyone else would like to share their bad bbq experience?

Yes I've had a few of them.
Went to Memphis a few years ago and tried 2 of the "World Famous Memphis rib joints". In one restaurant I got the rib tips and couldn't finish them because they were so tough.

The other restaurant was just, "ok". Not bad, not really good, just nothing that I couldn't have got as good or better in my home town.

The last place I ordered brisket was rated the best in my city by Yelp and others. As OP said, pot roast sandwich. I didn't even eat half of it.

jbounds286
05-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Yes I've had a few of them.
Went to Memphis a few years ago and tried 2 of the "World Famous Memphis rib joints". In one restaurant I got the rib tips and couldn't finish them because they were so tough.

The other restaurant was just, "ok". Not bad, not really good, just nothing that I couldn't have got as good or better in my home town.

The last place I ordered brisket was rated the best in my city by Yelp and others. As OP said, pot roast sandwich. I didn't even eat half of it.

sounds like u found central bbq in memphis...absolute crap

Jason TQ
05-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm glad for the time I spent working at a bbq joint. There was nothing more interesting than knowing every piece of meat that went out was going to get judged and I cooked it.........and how one slightly off piece of q could get slammed on yelp/facebook/wherever.

Being consistent with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of bbq every single day isn't easy, which is why people think they can half arse it. That half arse'ing passes for every day "non bbq" folk, but not for the people on this site. Lots of threads like this one here :-P. Everyone should try cooking bbq full time for a little while just to see what it's like :becky:. Gives you a whole new perspective on things :grin:.

Nate749
05-04-2015, 08:58 PM
It's funny as of lately my hometown Sacramento California has became a kinda hop spot for bbq. There are 4 to 5 restaurants that have opened in the last 2 years. and honestly other than a packed bar I don't know how they are still in business. Food is either dry or just a serious lack of flavor. I was leaving one establishment and actually saw the pit master and he asked how the food was. I told him this was one and done and chuckled. You would have thought I slapped his child. Take a little pride and make good food, not that hard.

grantw
05-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Bbq just was not meant to be mass produced

1buckie
05-04-2015, 09:03 PM
It's funny as of lately my hometown Sacramento California has became a kinda hop spot for bbq. There are 4 to 5 restaurants that have opened in the last 2 years. and honestly other than a packed bar I don't know how they are still in business. Food is either dry or just a serious lack of flavor. I was leaving one establishment and actually saw the pit master and he asked how the food was. I told him this was one and done and chuckled. You would have thought I slapped his child. Take a little pride and make good food, not that hard.

Which various places Nate?

By CSUS?

Nate749
05-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Oh I'm not bashful..Fahrenheit 250 is good. I actually had a good meal there. I was talking about Stickey Gators on K street. I was appalled they called that mess bbq. The fried chicken was hilarious, it showed up and I honestly laughed out loud.

Nate749
05-04-2015, 09:15 PM
And Tank House.. hahaha. The only good thing there were the tots. But those are kinda hard to mess up. Even simple mac and cheese seems to stump them. I told the waiter I'd like a refund. I told him the bottom of my Justin boot probably tasted better than the brisket they served me.

Brew-Bq
05-04-2015, 09:28 PM
I agree with most. Its hard to get great Q eating out. Its not impossible its just harder than most types of cooking due to the time commitment to do it right. Franklin is obviously a man possessed hence the great reputation and painstaking attention to detail. This write up on Killens seems to point to the same type of Q obsession needed to pull it off. These chain operations are selling a turnkey operation not a passion. Ive noticed to that the little guys who start off right and get successful almost always seem to switch over to the Southern Prides to keep up and there begins the slide to mediocrity or worse. Not that you cant turn out good Q on one but it seems that the guys who really care dont use them often.
http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/bbq/article/Killen-s-Barbecue-A-smoked-meat-star-is-born-5542339.php

Uzona
05-04-2015, 09:52 PM
I don't eat BBQ out anymore. Two notable exceptions are both owned by brethren who used to compete out of Arizona. Bam Bam's BBQ up in Orem Utah and Little Miss BBQ here in Phoenix are both turning out great BBQ. If you're ever near either one of them they are worthy of a visit, but you better get there early.

Mo-Dave
05-04-2015, 10:03 PM
I hold back going into a bbq joints, until it has been in business for at least a year. In the last year there has been maybe close to a dozen, go in and out in less than a year, all that in about a 30 mile radius. I have not been able to eat at a bbq joint for about 3 years now. If I am out of the area, and my wife is not with me I may try one, but that has not happened in a vary long time either. We do have at least one chain Q joint only ate there once, a pulled pork dry as hell no taste at all, wont be going back even though the have been running about 5 or 6 years.
Dave

RevZiLLa
05-04-2015, 10:10 PM
We have Famous Daves, Chili's, Extra Billy's, Buzz and Ned's, a few small timers, and Q's.

Chili's and Buzz and Ned's are Gawd awful. Famous Dave's and Extra billy's are not so good.

Q's is spectacular, and very expensive. Q's chicken is a religious experience. Q's sides are a sexual experience... Some of the mom and pop small timers can have good days.

falconer
05-04-2015, 10:13 PM
I had to go to Crossville, TN for a business trip back in February and knew I had 3 days of dinner there. There were 3 BBQ joints. All sounded good, of course. First night was BigBoy's. Nice looking place, plenty of small-joint atmosphere. Nice guy running it, too. But not a hint of smoke in the food at all. Oven cooked, most likely. Sauce was prob from a jar, too. Disappointed, for sure.
Second night was Big John's. Little hole in the wall, 3 tables, mostly take out, but with a nice big trailer pit right outside smokin' away. It was 5:30 and he was out of brisket and ribs. Nothing but pork left. Pretty dog-gone good. He and I talked for a while. Even invited me to church if I was gonna be there Sunday. He does some comps in TN and the surrounding area sometimes. Next day I went there for lunch and had some brisket and ribs. Brisket was OK; a little dry but decent flavor. Ribs were nice. Small boned ribs (my fav) with a very light bark that snapped nicely when you bit into them. Had a hot and a sweet sauce, and as usual, I combined those.
The last night I went to Lefty's. Big place, like a Denny's, and food to match. HUGE combo plate of brisket, pork, and ribs. I didn't eat a quarter of it. The rolls were good.
Heading back to Crossville for work again next week. I will be eating at Big John's for sure. Probably for lunches since he'll be sold out by the time I can get to dinner. The other two? Wouldn't touch them. At least I found one decent one out of 3.

Mo-Dave
05-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Sometime I feel a little sorry for the waitstaff, if I think they know what real Q is, if only they know how bad the food is going to be.
Dave

TonyT
05-04-2015, 10:41 PM
I don't know what's worse: being in an area with 1.8 million people and no decent Q, or being in an area with 1.8 million people who yelp about what they think good Q is (liquid smoke and bbq sauce anyone?). I don't think I've ever seen such a disparity in a particular cuisine, than in BBQ. I'm not saying it's easy, I couldn't imagine it to be at all, but for places to only specialize in BBQ and turn out stuff no better than Dickeys is a shame. Picture is worth 1000 words. 43 reviews, 4.5/5.0 stars. They ONLY do ribs and chicken...

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/_yf-bV5o4GQ-wFzi2BvDhw/o.jpg

http://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/3NVLnyImkEHWrho-Zt-41A/l.jpg

Oh yea.. and a slab of those ribs will run you $30

JoSal73
05-05-2015, 06:37 AM
^ Wow, how sad :(

thirdeye
05-05-2015, 08:01 AM
My last trip to a Q restaurant was to a Famous franchise that had been open about a month and several of us went there for lunch. I had brisket, hot link, beans and coleslaw... ordered sauce on the side. Brisket on the dry side, below average flavor but a good portion. The hot link was cooked over a fire so hot it was charred and split open. The beans were nothing special and the coleslaw was horrible. The little squares of cornbread and the iced tea were the best things. :crazy: Haven't been back.

TheSmoke
05-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Looks like they were drawn and quartered.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/cowgirls-photos_album/icky%20ribs/121e2f0a-c020-4448-99d0-3a56124d43f3_zpsfab26769.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/cowgirls-photos_album/icky%20ribs/22e8322a-ed3d-4db6-9bfc-90943f434f3f_zpsb80046bf.jpg

DjPorkchop
05-05-2015, 08:09 AM
My wife and I went to a shop here in town that people tend to say is really good. Long story short, she got her food and I got mine. The ribs on my plate were gray like they were steamed with liquid smoke added. And the mac and cheese, don't even get me started. :boxing:

She got pulled pork and sides. She took a bit of her pork and set it down and said never again will we eat BBQ out. From now on, only at home. I kinda felt real good instantly.

The food was horrible! We have not eating Que out one time since then but have cooked more than our fair share at home.

aawa
05-05-2015, 08:24 AM

Absolutely this. Majority of restaurants are mediocre, and it isn't limited to BBQ.

I still try any independently owned bbq restaurant that opens up at least once. Some I won't go back too, but some have at least 1 meat that they do absolutely well and I would pay to eat it if I don't have bbq at the house (usually lunch during the week)

1 Restaurant here their pulled pork is mushy and soaking wet n so much vinegar it is almost inedible, but their Ribs and Sausage are nice and tasty.

Another restaurant the brisket is dry, their pulled pork lacks flavor. But their Jerked Pork and Jerked Chicken along with their sides are amazing (the owner is Jamaican and it really reflects in his food)

Another restaurant has terrible ribs, but their smoked turkey is off the hook and their brisket is decent. Their corn bread is some of the best I ever had.

Another restaurant all their meats are decent but their pulled pork is really good.

There are also bbq joints where I won't ever step foot in. I'm glad Woodchicks (which was highly rated for a while) closed down. The last 2 years they were open, you could tell they lost their passion and were just going through the motions. The food and service were so bad that I brought my pick up order back and demanded my money back.

TheSmoke
05-05-2015, 08:25 AM
I've had bad luck in Nashville the few times I have been there. All the BBQ seems like it comes straight out of the crock pot.

I live in Sarasota, Florida, and we have the The Oaks Open Pit BBQ which is a good place I have been going to for a long time. There is also Sonny's, which a lot of people trash, but I have mostly good meals there. Sliced pork, spares, and BBs are good. Meats are served dry with 3 sauces on the table. Make sure to ask for the pork center cut.

Agreed. I was at a reputable establishment outside of Nashville. Unfortunately the Brisket was dry and the pulled pork was mush. On another note, doesn't this tell us why we have to keep cooking for ourselves.

pjtexas1
05-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Is there a listing somewhere of brethren owned q joints? That would be nice to know for those that travel.

I have tried a few of the places in Central Texas. Mostly average q. Taylor Cafe and Franklin were really good but I don't believe it is any better than some of us can do. There are 2 in my town that make lists all the time but I have only tried them once. I drive by and no matter what time of day it is the fires are always dirty. You can taste that in their food. It is what it is... I believe it is extremely difficult to mass produce great bbq day in and day out. In the back yard with just a few pieces of meat we are masters. I also enjoy the process so much that I really don't see paying for something that I just like to do myself. There are still a couple more places in Austin that I need to try but I'm in no rush.

jbounds286
05-05-2015, 08:53 AM
i gotta say im surprised this thread is still in q talk lol

lcbateman3
05-05-2015, 09:12 AM
I've had several hit and misses.

Went to a world renowned BBQ joint in Memphis for ribs. Friends said it was the best ribs ever. I came to the conclusion that my friends never had good ribs. My wife got pulled pork, it wasn't that bad.

Been to several Famous Daves. They are hit and miss, I've had some great food from one and horrible food from another.

Been to Q, great food as mentioned. Been to another one in Va Beach that is owned by certain person famous from a TV show that was horrible to me.

BBQ is very hit and miss and very open for judgement. I go in with an open mind. I know it's not always going to be the way I would cook it, but I try it and see if I like it. Majority of the time, I'm disappointed, but sometimes, you get a pleasant surprise!

Kyle Serlington
05-05-2015, 09:20 AM
i love cooking my own bbq but i also love to try what others are doing too. unfortunately, i live in upstate ny, which is pretty bleak when it come to que. i've had bbq from probably 20 or so places in the upstate ny/northeast PA region and out of those 20 there's been like 5 that i liked, so many of which are overrated by yelpers who have no idea what legit bbq is (even though they claim they do in their reviews), and it's funny how many of these places claim to have the best bbq in central new york. i actually went through and made a list yesterday of places in the area i still have to try, and i ended up getting 16 places on the list, only of which about 2 or 3 places seem legit. a lot of people tell me i should do my own restaurant (i'm sure a lot of us get that), but i'm not sure that it's something i would want to do. i imagine it's totally different than back yard cooking, and i'm also not the most social guy either, and it seems like a people's person business.

Dwl9113
05-05-2015, 09:31 AM
I hold back going into a bbq joints, until it has been in business for at least a year. In the last year there has been maybe close to a dozen, go in and out in less than a year, all that in about a 30 mile radius. I have not been able to eat at a bbq joint for about 3 years now. If I am out of the area, and my wife is not with me I may try one, but that has not happened in a vary long time either. We do have at least one chain Q joint only ate there once, a pulled pork dry as hell no taste at all, wont be going back even though the have been running about 5 or 6 years.
Dave

Dave,

I see you are in the Ozarks. Give the Branding Iron on highway 5 right by Capt Ron's a try. Kelly the owner smokes his own stuff out back on a big trailer rig. It's some of the better I have had down there and Kelly is my friend so I have to give him a plug when I can lol.

NickTheGreat
05-05-2015, 09:42 AM
It happens. I think brisket is one of the hardest things to get right in a BBQ restaurant.

I still try it, but am usually disappointed :(

Q Junkie
05-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Most of my BBQ disappointments were my own "teachable moments" because when I eat at a BBQ joint I already expect it to be subpar. Every now and then I am pleasantly surprised with good Q from a restaurant.

tnfan47
05-05-2015, 09:56 AM
The one place in Nashville I really enjoy their Q is Jim-N-Nicks. You can really taste the smoke flavor and it's cooked properly. Don't care for anyone's pulled pork except mine same thing for ribs, but their ribs and brisket are on point. I'm not saying it's the best or anything, but it's not bad being a franchise restaurant. I love their habanero bbq sauce though.

mytmouz
05-05-2015, 10:36 AM
My worst experience hands down is Rendezvous in Memphis. Extremely small overprices portions and nothing tasted remotely like the reviews/reputation rated the place. My party left there and went to a Krystal's...

Single worst q item I have had was the sliced brisket at a local Sonny's...

Trumanj
05-05-2015, 10:46 AM
My wife and I went to a shop here in town that people tend to say is really good. Long story short, she got her food and I got mine. The ribs on my plate were gray like they were steamed with liquid smoke added. And the mac and cheese, don't even get me started. :boxing:

She got pulled pork and sides. She took a bit of her pork and set it down and said never again will we eat BBQ out. From now on, only at home. I kinda felt real good instantly.

The food was horrible! We have not eating Que out one time since then but have cooked more than our fair share at home.

17th st grill is decent there in Marion and Murphysboro (sp?) its probably the best bbq in a hundred mile radius. I prefer it to anything in Memphis or st Louis.

jelewis67
05-05-2015, 10:46 AM
I've had experiences like that as well. Not just with BBQ either. I'm no world class chef by any means, but my wife and I have had times where we look at each other and wonder why we just didn't cook at home. Better food, not as noisy and you can have an extra beverage and not worry about driving home!

smoke ninja
05-05-2015, 10:49 AM
i gotta say im surprised this thread is still in q talk lol

If the chocolate éclair ribs didn't get it move nothing will.

Cat797
05-05-2015, 11:21 AM
I ain't gonna lie, but I eat at a BBQ joint at least once when I'm traveling.....I just lower my expectations because I know that it probably isn't gonna be as good as my own. My love is focused on one item or a few, not many as is the case in a 'rant. Also, I'm using a stick burner that I built by hand and throw sticks in her that have been seasoning for well over a year, not some gas oven with wood chips for smoke. Chances are mine (and I'm very sure all of you's) is better......That said, I do like to sample others though and try different BBQ sauce.

Although, the worst I've had is Akin's Barbecue in Bell, FL. The good thing is that they are smoking meat. I can smell it in the place and see the smoke ring, the bad news is, I have no idea what cuts of meat they are using. Certainly not pork shoulder or beef brisket :crazy:. The beans were really good, and sauce wasn't too bad. Potato salad was almost straight mustard on potatoes..........

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/cat797-photo/Mobile%20Uploads/06fd9ae0-5a46-40e0-bab2-9e89195ac136.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/cat797-photo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/06fd9ae0-5a46-40e0-bab2-9e89195ac136.jpg.html)

At the end of the day, I don't get too wound up about it........I used to, but not worth it anymore. I think the reason why Franklin is so successful is that he plans to run out every day and therefore, doesn't have to worry about how to use leftovers when he cooks too much....

Ed

BBQMongo
05-05-2015, 11:49 AM
17th st grill is decent there in Marion and Murphysboro (sp?) its probably the best bbq in a hundred mile radius. I prefer it to anything in Memphis or st Louis.
17th Street Bar and Grill as well as Jack's BBQ, both in Murphysboro, IL are about the only Q places that I will actually make an effort to eat at.

tnfan47
05-05-2015, 11:54 AM
If this thread needs to be moved, Mods please do so.

Displaced Texan
05-05-2015, 12:04 PM

This. This sums it up for me.

smoke ninja
05-05-2015, 12:21 PM
If this thread needs to be moved, Mods please do so.

Naa it's good here (from my experience)

They'll move a thread sometime if it is about a trip to a specific joint but a "commercial Q sucks" thread pops up in Qtalk every couple of months.

Oak-n-hickory
05-05-2015, 01:24 PM
I was guilty of naming one specific joint, but it was a place I pronounced disgusting in the 1950's. I know it was still around in the 1970's, but seriously doubt that it exists now - the area where it was located was way out in the boonies at that time, but is much more populated these days. While the town still has a BBQ joint or more, the named one doesn't seem to exist - deservedly so.

The maggot episode was in the early 1960's, and that butcher shop is long gone. The rib sandwich joint is probably still around, but after pulling that stunt on a couple of innocent customers (who just happened to have a Buck folding hunter in the car, so were able to eat the joke) doesn't deserve any publicity. And who knows about the place in Brenham (or was it Chappell Hill?) - that was also a disgusting experience from the '70's.

But in more recent years, I did experience some really barf-worthy BBQ at a place in the Denver airport. Again, no name if there's a chance the place still exists.

smokainmuskoka
05-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Abe's BBQ, Clarksdale, Mississippi - "Since 1924". Right at Robert Johnson's famous Crossroads. Proof that Satan really is there, because he makes them boil their ribs.

qman
05-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Isn't that Mike Mills place?

TXLX
05-05-2015, 09:43 PM
So many restaurants cut corners with ingredients and preparation, especially the chains. I have to eat at local Mexican restaurants, taco shops, or drop $50 a plate to get decent food in a restaurant. There are only 2 BBQ places in town that I've been to that I will frequent in a regular basis, out of many. Sushi is the only thing I can't prepare better at home than in a restaurant.

Faston
05-05-2015, 10:26 PM
I stopped by a favorite BBQ place near my old neighborhood and ordered a sliced beef poorboy. When I took a bit it was nothing but fat. I opened the bun and it was a slice where the flat is under the point but it was like half a sandwich of fat. Shows you how important the meat cutters job is. I left but I should have probably just asked for another sandwich.

BBQMongo
05-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Isn't that Mike Mills place?
That is Mike Mills place. And I was mistaken on the other one. It is Pat's BBQ. That was Mike's partner in his competition team that one a lot of championships.

BigTBBQ
05-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Dickies is about right. Have a friend who worked in their corporate office & said Roland Dickie is nuts. He has hidden cameras installed in all his managers offices to make sure they're working.

Best I've had is Ten 50 north of Dallas. Haven't been to the Austin places & won't wait in Pecan Lodge's line. But it Ten 50 was really good.

Broncobob71
05-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I love me some Dickey's!
Can I make better at home? Yes I can.
But when on the road I will gladly grab a quick lunch at Dickey's instead of McDonalds or Subway.
I'm all about craft beer too, but that doesn't stop me from wanting an ice cold coors light after mowing the lawn on a hot day.

An old man in a strip bar once told me that he had a lot of uhm bbq in his day. Some of it was better than others, but none of it was bad.

Now that whole maggot story, that's not bad bbq that's just plain bad.

snapper-G
05-06-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm relatively new to the BBQ scene but I'm already better at BBQing than what you can get at most of the chain establishments. That being said, if I'm around Blairsville, PA, I stop at Clem's BBQ. Pretty darn good!

BigTBBQ
05-06-2015, 01:49 PM
I love me some Dickey's!
Can I make better at home? Yes I can.
But when on the road I will gladly grab a quick lunch at Dickey's instead of McDonalds or Subway.

I think I'd rather have McD's than Dickies. And I hate McD's. Just sayin...

Cat797
05-06-2015, 02:02 PM
An old man in a strip bar once told me that he had a lot of uhm bbq in his day. Some of it was better than others, but none of it was bad.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: I don't care who you are, that's farking funny right there!

sdmiller72
05-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Grayson's BBQ in Clarence, Louisiana is a wonderful BBQ restaurant. Been there forever. Never pass it by when I'm in that area.

BIG ALAN
05-06-2015, 06:58 PM
It's a shame that with all the hype of food and cooking programs, we have grown to appreciate a food style that is not consistent at the marketplace. The hype of TV programs at the recognized locations across America that I recall have been described above are crossed off my bucket list. Central Texas, the 3 Carolina's, scratch.I don't have the patience to wait at Franklins if I get to Austin. Keelin's maybe. There is nothing in Illinois to force me to 17th St, which apparently remains good.
This was a timely thread as we approach the vacation season. Thanks to all who posted. I do get to Virginia Beach regularly. I actually walked out of a place just north of NAS Oceana on the east-west drag when the mouth breathing counter boy stuttered when I asked about burnt ends. Witner's was okay for burnt end sammies 3 years ago but I have not been back. Someone who lives in VB posted here nothing is presently good. Sounds like LeAnn shuttered her place? Thought it was in N. Carolina. Now, I have a friend who went to the Nascar Sprint Cup race in Charlotte a couple years ago and ate at 13 Bones, run by former Yankee Chris Chambliss. She said it was good, but has not been back lately. Anyone know?
Thanks Brethren, great thread. :caked:

TXLX
05-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Dickies praying on unsuspecting consumers. Luckily our local one shut down. Terrible. Dickies and spring creek could have a competition for worst BBQ

1buckie
05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Grayson's BBQ in Clarence, Louisiana is a wonderful BBQ restaurant. Been there forever. Never pass it by when I'm in that area.

Glad there is some good in all this !!!!

Mint
05-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Wow I'm shocked at all these bad BBQ places that you see on the cooking shows where everyone raves about them. Here in New York it is hot or miss. I've been to RUB in NYC and Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse and both were great. Went to Famous Daves and have great brisket and then horrible brisket. Went to a couple of places on Long Island and the brisket was like pot roast and I HATE pot roast. I was planning on going to Tennesee Jed's BBQ in Wantagh Long Island but now I'm not so sure.

Oak-n-hickory
05-08-2015, 10:34 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap: I don't care who you are, that's farking funny right there!

Now, wait a minute. That's not the whole story. The version I heard many years ago on a forced visit to Oklahoma went more like "it's all good, but some of it's (said with a shudder) just barely good.