PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't Wait Another Week

wire-it-up
05-02-2015, 05:11 PM
So, I was thinking I didn't have time to cook today, as my oldest daughter had a piano recital this morning. We enjoyed last Saturday's pulled pork so much that I was thinking my next cook would be another couple of butts. Surprisingly, my wife turned to me late in the week and said "So, you aren't making us any meat this weekend?" I said I didn't think I had time, with the recital and all.

But then, I remembered we hadn't had ribs in a while, and they cook much faster. Also, I had a new recipe/method I wanted to try.

Long story short, there are now 3 slabs out on the Weber. Got them on pretty late though, as I had to get home, give the Weber a thorough cleaning (its first one, actually), and then do some other prep work. This is the second use of my caddy.

If anyone wants to see photos, I'll get some posted of the final results. Mama wants my parmesan garlic potato wedges, which I believe she has a full on addiction to. So I'll get pics of those as well. Dessert will be simple tonight, due to time constraints. Just vanilla ice cream with hershey's topping, and possibly some caramel topping.

Also, if anyone wants the recipe for the potato wedges (they really are fabulous), I'll be happy to oblige.

pjtexas1
05-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a great cook. Now where's the recipe?

wire-it-up
05-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Here you go...

Peel and cut 6 baking potatoes (about 2 pounds) into eighths (or 16ths, if you like smaller wedges)

Breading mix:

1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (we can't stand the taste of these, so we use crushed Ritz crackers instead)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (we buy kraft, or the store brand)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I try to remember to leave this out, due to the salt on the Ritz crackers. otherwise, it can be too salty)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Combine crackers (or bread crumbs), parmesan, garlic powder, salt (if you use any), and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well.

Dip each wedge into melted butter and then breading mixture, covering completely. Place in a single layer in a baking dish, pour any remaining butter evenly over potatoes. Bake at 400 for 30 to 35 minutes, turning once during baking.

That's how the recipe is written. However, I usually make a double batch. It takes forever to dunk and batter the wedges individually, so I've adapted. I may lay down a layer of the breading in the bottom of the pan, then pour melted butter over the potatoes after they are placed on the breading bed, and then sprinkle more breading over the top. Also, we like a lot of breading, so I double that as well. I also like more butter, so I probably use more than a stick. If I'm busy making other dishes, I'll cook them lower and slower, and I don't worry too much about them being in a single layer, or turning them during cooking.

In other words, I barely follow the instructions at all.

Happy Hapgood
05-02-2015, 05:39 PM
A good plan. Relax and enjoy. Stretch that schedule if you have to. Hey! It's BBQ. :thumb:

wire-it-up
05-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Sorry everyone, but my wife came home from the hairdresser and changed the plan on me. She hadn't been to the grocery store yet, so we didn't have any taters. The ribs were almost done, and she was hungry. The ribs would have probably been overdone if I had sent her on to the store and then taken the time to make the potatoes.

So unfortunately, no photos of potatoes that don't exist, and since she was ready to eat and still had to get to the store, I didn't take the time to take pictures of the ribs. But you guys would probably be bored with just photos of ribs anyway. Nothing special about them, but they were good. I like that I can spend $30 on meat, and get 8 meals out of it (4 people, each eating twice). The way this usually works out, we get Saturday night's dinner, and Sunday's (after church) lunch.

By the way, she wants the potato wedges with tomorrow's rib leftovers, so I'll probably be making those after church. I can post a pic of them if anyone wants to see them.

Rusty Kettle
05-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Of course we want to see them heck it is a bbq forum and we are obsessed with food. We never mind food pics we always appreciate it.

wire-it-up
05-02-2015, 08:24 PM
LOL. OK, I'll post pics of the wedges, if I can be quick enough before she eats them all. Don't get the wrong idea, she's a tiny little petite gal. But certain foods make her weak in the knees, and I guess I found a recipe that has that effect.

As for being obsessed with food, I was thinking I may be the only one. Then I found this forum, and discovered there are thousands of us. I guess there's hope, as we are not alone. Why do I have the urge to stand up and announce to the other people in the room "My name is Jason, and I'm addicted to smoking... fresh pork."?

wire-it-up
05-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Tater photos coming up. My dear wife is peeling them now.

wire-it-up
05-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Forgot to mention that they bake faster if they are covered, but the recipe doesn't call for that.

wire-it-up
05-03-2015, 01:13 PM
I'll post a couple more when they come out of the oven. Smelled good enough to eat raw.

wire-it-up
05-03-2015, 02:04 PM
They seem to be taking forever to get done. Not sure what's up with that. Smelling up the house real good though. My 13 year old daughter is whining, wanting to eat. I set the oven for another 10 minutes, to soften the wedges up a little. Will post again shortly (I hope).

wire-it-up
05-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Time to eat!