PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Smokers

LarryO1947
05-02-2015, 05:10 AM
What's your opinion?? Been reading about them and considering buying one for my "Lazy Day" smoking. :?:

HOG FAN
05-02-2015, 05:26 AM
I don't have a traditional pellet smoker but I have a battle box that I had built so that I had the option of using a pellet feeder. I used the pellet feeder one time and the setup worked great but then I started using charcoal, wood chunks and a CyberQ Wifi and it's pretty much automatic. You might consider an insulated like my Humphrey's battle box for the capacity and IMHO the better flavor that comes from charcoal and wood. Just food for thought.

hedge
05-02-2015, 06:04 AM
they are great for lazy day smoking or even just day-to-day use. i wish i still had my old one.

IamMadMan
05-02-2015, 06:14 AM
I hear some say that pellets do not give enough smoke flavor, but yet I see teams use them in competition and win with them.

I think it's a great idea / investment if it will suit your need and give you great results..

I'm sure it would even come in handy as a secondary smoker if you had a big cook...

LarryO1947
05-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Looking at the Daniel Boone from Green Mountain Grills. Won't break the bank and is plenty big enough as a secondary smoker.

Sausage Warrior
05-02-2015, 06:35 AM
Good choice Larry

I've had many smokers over the years from stick burners to Kamados, WSM, and barrel cookers. You can usually coax good BBQ out of all of them some with more effort than others. I can testify however if you want consistently great cooks the pellet cooker is boss by a mile. I Love my GMG Daniel Boone. And when it comes to being lazy, it's just a matter of cleaning grill grates as needed, adding fuel and pushing a button. Maintaining temp is a no-brainier!

Coat
05-02-2015, 06:45 AM
They're awesome. You're burning real wood, the fire is clean, and your laziness will know no bounds. I burn hickory pellets from BBQ'r's delight, and the flavor is great. I get the same smoke ring I get on an offset. Just make sure you get quality pellets that are 100% comprised of the wood on the label.

nsbbqguy
05-02-2015, 06:56 AM
I have a green mountain Jim Bowie. And it's easy to use, produces great food and a good smoke taste. It's defiantly great for those lazy day smokes! I clean it out after ever few smokes and that's also easy to do as well. The pellets that I use are the green mountain pellets. Any questions you have about them I'll be happy to answer!

jasonjax
05-02-2015, 08:19 AM
GMG DB was my first ever pellet cooker. I liked it, and it got me utterly hooked on pellets henceforth. I now have a Cookshack PG500 and FEC100 and love them both.

The only complaint I had with the GMG DB is that proper searing was difficult because the heat diffuser and drip tray really covers up the fire box, but I could still cook good grilled stuff on it. I just prefer having a direct fire such as in my PG500 for steaks etc.

Hog1990
05-02-2015, 09:43 AM
I've never eaten a pellet. Time and temp?

veryolddog
05-02-2015, 10:00 AM
I have been pellet smoking on a Yoder YS480 for two years. The results have exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. I support the comments given with respect to smoke and smoke ring. In addition, since this is similar to a convection environment, the food is very juicy and tender. You will not be disappointed with pellet smoking.

I also have a stick burner, when I am more ambitious. The smoke flavor is more distinct. I use this when I wish to be more "traditional" and spend more personal time on the cook.

Smoking food is fun and the results are great!

Rusty Kettle
05-02-2015, 10:08 AM
I am probably selling my pellet grill. It's nice when your busy but if I got time I am using another smoker. Plus unless you have a regular supply of pellets you have to wait for an order to come in. If I were you I would look at a Rec Tec as they are supposed to be good. Also traeger isn't bad for the bang for your buck. Green Mountain grills are supposed to be good. Just saying take a look around at the others.

cowgirl
05-02-2015, 10:16 AM
I have a Memphis Pro. It's really handy on those "lazy days" or when I'm too busy to tend a fire. Puts out great tasting food too.

LYU370
05-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Love my FEC100. Wish I had bought it earlier. Great flavor, enough smoke for everyone who's tried the food out of it, not over smoked. Gives you more time to spend with friends & family. I've mostly settled on Lumberjack pellets.

71-South
05-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I had a Louisiana Grills CS-570 for a while. Loved it, but wasn't pleased w/ the thickness of the metal. The hopper sagged after a couple of years, one of the hinges broke off, etc. I sold it to my cousin and he still uses it all the time - broken hinge and all. Super easy to use.

I fell in love w/ Yoder pellet smokers three years ago. They're more expensive, but if you read about them and check out reviews, you'll understand why. I just picked up a used YS640 in great condition for $1000 and I couldn't be happier. Nice thick steel. This thing weighs 350 lbs and they guarantee the body for TEN years. Their customer service is simply awesome, too.

I'm not a big fan of heavy smoke flavor (I think a lot of folks go way overboard w/ it), but my old one didn't put very much smoke on meat at all. This one is just perfect for me. It's gives a nice, distinct smokey flavor (I'm using B&B pellets from Academy Sports), but it doesn't overdo it. People are competing w/ Yoder pellet smokers all over the circuit.

My team (Hackers -n- Hogs BBQ) will be using the 640 this season and I'm really looking forward to it. At home, I'm already using the hell out of it.

71-South
05-02-2015, 10:50 AM
BTW, when I buy stuff off Craigslist, etc., I always want to know why it's for sale. The guy that sold me my YS640 only smokes meat for him and his wife. He's not leaving the Yoder family at all. He's just downgrading (in size) to a YS480.

Richard_
05-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Ive been cooking on mine for 4 years , love the set it and forget it , but hate relying on electricity , other than that it's great

LarryO1947
05-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. Will check some other ones out. The good thing about the GMG is they have a distributor near me that carries the grills and pellets.

DBBQ
05-02-2015, 11:19 AM
I've got a Rec Tec, and use it in tandem with my WSM. End product comes out great from both em.I really enjoy it.

AZRaptor
05-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I started with a WSM and then picked up a PG500 pellet smoker and I have to say they are really great for a lazy day (or every day) smoker. I get fantastic results. I'm only getting a Shirley because I want yet another type of smoker, otherwise I could live happily if they only thing I had was a pellet smoker.

nmeyer414
05-02-2015, 01:46 PM
here is a great option for a starter pellet smoker. really good quality in the materials and craftsmanship.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_411019-49769-9020_0__?productId=4437209&Ntt=char+griller&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dchar%2Bgriller&facetInfo=

jakel
05-02-2015, 01:51 PM
I really enjoy my Yoder YS 480 plenty of smoke for me and built like a tank.....add Grillgrates and you can grill over open flame and get great grill marks !

LarryO1947
05-02-2015, 02:12 PM
here is a great option for a starter pellet smoker. really good quality in the materials and craftsmanship.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_411019-49769-9020_0__?productId=4437209&Ntt=char+griller&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dchar%2Bgriller&facetInfo=

I was looking at that one,but I live in upstate NY and it is not available at any of my area Lowe's and can't even be shipped.

jasonjax
05-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Another recommendation: Brethren site is bar-none the best overall BBQ site on the internet, but for pellet specific reviews, questions etc. check out pelletheads.com

LarryO1947
05-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Another recommendation: Brethren site is bar-none the best overall BBQ site on the internet, but for pellet specific reviews, questions etc. check out pelletheads.com

Thanks Jason. Will check it out.

AZRaptor
05-02-2015, 03:17 PM

+1

Lots of us pelletheads over there with some great information.

LYU370
05-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Yep, pelletheads has lots of good info. Big Poppa also has a pellet site, but don't recall the name offhand.

Gyosa
05-02-2015, 05:56 PM
I've had a Mak 1 star for 14 months or so .....
Use it every weekend - very rarely use my very expensive gas grill anymore .
I cook everything from low and slow Q , to hot and fast burgers and chicken.
It's impossible to over smoke with a pellet grill .
It's nice to put a couple butts on and go to bed , and wake up and it's done ....

It's , by far , the best money I have ever spent .....
I use lumberjack , cooking pellets and BBQ's delight pellets ....

-bk

Sausage Warrior
05-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Yoders are big circuit standard now and very well built. I'm too lazy to move my pellet smoker. Glad I don't compete in more than Euchre. Just happy in my laziness.

Wneill20
05-02-2015, 08:01 PM
I have had a Traeger for the last five years and we use it five nights a week and it is the go to cooker. We cook everything from fish to brisket on it. I also have a drum smoker, weber, and a Jambo stick burner they all give a different smoke taste to the meats. i would do it again for sure.

SGH
05-02-2015, 08:56 PM
I do not personally own a pellet smoker myself. However I have eaten some fantastic food off of a Yoder 640. It's about as set and for get it as it gets and is built like a tank. I own a couple of very nice smokers. With that said, as I continue to get older I see a Yoder pellet smoker in my future for ease of use. The food that I have had off of the Yoder is about as good as you could ask for. I can't speak for all pellet smokers but the Yoder 640 is bad ass without question or doubt.

LarryO1947
05-03-2015, 04:16 AM
Appreciate all the input. :-D

spedly
05-03-2015, 09:03 AM
I had a Traeger. I sold it to help pay for my Pitmaker. Those Yoder smokers look really nice though. If I was to go back to pellet I'd be looking at one of those bad boys.

cowgirl
05-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Yep, pelletheads has lots of good info. Big Poppa also has a pellet site, but don't recall the name offhand.

Big Poppa's site is Pelletsmoking.com
I'm a member there but haven't posted in awhile. I need to make the time!

LYU370
05-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Big Poppa's site is Pelletsmoking.com
I'm a member there but haven't posted in awhile. I need to make the time!

Yep, that's it. I'm a member there also and I too haven't posted there in quite a while.

bri134
05-03-2015, 11:48 AM
I have a Dreamwerks insulated pellet smoker I bought from Bruce a couple years ago. Best unit I've ever owned; built like a tank. His attention to detail is amazing. I love the set and forget ease of use. Replaced the Ortech controller with a Savannah Stoker.

Never had any complaints about smoke flavor or lack thereof. Love not having to worry about monitoring a fire for long cooks.