PDA

View Full Version : Please school me on foodsaver manual vs. auto

bosco0633
04-30-2015, 06:56 PM
last month I purchased a foodsaver 4800 series from Costco. It is awesome and automatic (No idea what the auto does).

I have been looking to buy umai bags for dry curing beef and learned that I need a different type of food saver. a Manual 2000 series. So I just scored a great deal on a 2490 model manual (still no idea).

My question is what is the differences?? Do I keep both and use the 2490 for just when I dry age? or do I get rid of the auto one 4800 series

I need the 2490 models and got a blow out deal new in box for 99.00!!!

any help appreciated!

bosco0633
04-30-2015, 07:46 PM
come on folks... anyone with any knowledge on this??

Sorry to be a pain, just trying to figure this out

peeps
04-30-2015, 09:13 PM
first, why did you decide you needed a different one? What were the reasons?

bosco0633
04-30-2015, 09:41 PM
For umai bags for dry ageing.

addertooth
04-30-2015, 10:01 PM
The auto feature on foodsaver units are "supposed" to trigger the seal process when the right amount of vacuum is pulled in the bag, but (and it is a big but), when you are vacuum sealing a bag with "wet" contents, frequently it will start siphoning out the juices before enough vacuum is pulled to trigger the auto seal function. When this happens, go ahead and hit the "seal" button and it will interrupt the auto function and immediately seal. I run into this when I am making chicken brining bags. I almost always have to hit the seal button (after hitting auto to start the process), when the brine solution starts to get pulled out of the bag. When the area about to be sealed gets too wet, it does not seal well, and frequently requires the bag to be resealed above/below the previous seal point. It can also happen with juicy pulled pork as well.

peeps
04-30-2015, 10:02 PM
if you watch their videoas, it looks like it is just to be able to place the bag on the sealer and have more control of the placement of the vacmouse.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/vacuum-sealer-support.php

The UMAi VacMouse® is then sealed into the bag by the heat sealing strip. UMAi VacMouse® has been tested on the FoodSaver model 2400-series sealers that are offered on our website. Other types of similar horizontal channel sealers may work; however, are not guaranteed to work with the UMAi VacMouse® since there are multiple features on different brands of machines. It will be helpful to watch the following video to understand how VacMouse® enables you to apply UMAi Dry® with FoodSaver series 3000 vertical machines that rely on the bag triggering the automated sealing function: Sealing UMAi Dry® with Foodsaver 3800 series

This video shows you how to use the automatic units:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=jC1_1AetAn4

bosco0633
04-30-2015, 10:14 PM
wow great stuff. thanks so much!!

Jason TQ
04-30-2015, 10:15 PM
come on folks... anyone with any knowledge on this??

Sorry to be a pain, just trying to figure this out

45mins isn't a ton of time to give people to respond with an answer to a very specific question........:-P

bosco0633
04-30-2015, 10:21 PM
I know and I apologize, was at the store when I was trying to get the help I needed. I just purchased it and will give myself time to decide what to do