PDA

View Full Version : What should I cook for my Archery Club?

Mint
04-29-2015, 02:05 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm going to be cooking for one of my club's Archery shoots this summer and trying to decide what to cook. I'll need to have enough to serve about 85 people. I have a Kamado Joe and plan on smoking some butts the day before to make pulled pork and then the night before put on a brisket and smoke that all night, wrap and place in a cooler until lunch time.

How does that sound?

Thanks!

Mint
04-29-2015, 02:21 PM
And let me add, the meal is free for the people shooting and I've got a overall budget of $500 which I think is much more than I need.

AlwaysSmokey
04-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Sounds good. :thumb:

However, it also sounds like your gonna be hurtin for smoker space. How many butts can you get on that K. J. ?

addertooth
04-29-2015, 02:37 PM
He has the option of doing the butts, and while they are resting an hour then when someone else is pulling, he can grill some stuff on the Joe. May I suggest hotdog arrows? Get some bacon crispy, Cook some hotdogs, then cut a slot in the end of the dog, and put in a cooked diamond shaped piece of bacon into the slot of a cooked dog (like an arrowhead). It is inexpensive to make, and follows the theme of an archery party.

1buckie
04-29-2015, 02:47 PM
" What should I cook for my Archery Club?"

What did they shoot?

Deer, antelope, grizzly?

AlwaysSmokey
04-29-2015, 02:50 PM
He has the option of doing the butts, and while they are resting an hour then when someone else is pulling, he can grill some stuff on the Joe..

Yep. But to feed that many people I don't think you can cook enough butts at once. See what I'm gettin at?

AlwaysSmokey
04-29-2015, 02:55 PM
I am thinking 7 10# butts plus the brisket for 85 people. 1/4 pound servings. Yer gonna need a bigger boat.

Mint
04-29-2015, 03:29 PM
The shoot is on a Sunday and we start to serve lunch around 11:30 So I planned on making the pulled pork on Saturday and reheating it up on Sunday. I plan on getting a large packer from restaurant depot in the 15 pound range and starting the cook once the butts are done. Plan to have the brisket done by 7:00am Sunday morning and then wrapped and resting in the cooler until ready to serve.

I'm thinking I'll only need three 10lb butts plus the brisket.

Mint
04-29-2015, 03:31 PM
I've also have a Masterbuilt smoker and a Brinkman Bullet smoker if need be.

AlwaysSmokey
04-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Right on brother. It just doesn't sound like enough meat. Maybe I'm off,.. which is entirely possible... but I was figuring a pound of raw weight per person.... IDK,.. it's been a long farkin day...... LOL

Good Luck. Happy smokin !

darkoozy
04-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Ya, doesnt sound like you have enough meat. With sides about 1/4 lb per person sounds right. No sides 1/2lb person. You'd be surprised how fast meat can go. Also keep in mind you will lose about 40% of the gross weight throughout the cook. That brisket will be gone in 5 min...

smoke ninja
04-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Sides, sides make the meal. Do you have any planned?

Teleking
04-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Ya, doesnt sound like you have enough meat. With sides about 1/4 lb per person sounds right. No sides 1/2lb person. You'd be surprised how fast meat can go. Also keep in mind you will lose about 40% of the gross weight throughout the cook. That brisket will be gone in 5 min...

And up to 50% loss is not unheard of. That's where the pound of uncooked per person figures in.

Big George's BBQ
04-29-2015, 08:52 PM
That meal sounds Great Wampus has some killer bake beans That is a Great side You need a good slaw for the pulled pork Wings are always good

JoeMap
04-29-2015, 09:25 PM
If you decide to cook extra butts (always a good option in my opinion:clap2:), I'd let the first group get their smoke on the KJ for the first 3-4 hours and then finish in the Masterbuit or bullet smoker while letting the second set start on the KJ.

Better to have too much meat than not enough. Is it too late to sign up for the archery club lunch?!

JoeMap

Mint
04-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Going to have three sides. Baked beans, cole slaw and corn bread.

I know the brisket will go real quick but that is the luck of the draw with these cooks. Most of the shoots we just served hamburgers and hot dogs and since it is free there isn't much complaining.

JoeMap, I like your idea on the butts and I'll do them that way.

Thanks for all the info guys, I can always freeze the pulled pork to serve at one of our general meetings so I think I'll make a few more butts just to be sure. I can buy a case of them at restaurant depot.