PDA

View Full Version : Masterbuilt Electric Smoker

Disco Dan
04-26-2015, 06:32 PM
First time post, but I have been getting recipes and advice from here for years. I made some snack sticks on my Kamado Joe and they turned out great, but I figured it would be easier to make them on my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. I plugged it in and it powered on for a second but then powered off. Anyone have any luck replacing the top digital unit to repair it?

HOG FAN
04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Is it plugged into a GFCI protected outlet? May not be the smoker.

Disco Dan
04-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Yes it is. I assume the top control panel went out.

Smokeoholic
04-26-2015, 06:43 PM
I don't have one...but i know if the top digital unit is sitting in
the direct sun it can shut itself off.

HOG FAN
04-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Check the circuit. I have a Masterbuilt electric and it trips a GFCI circuit. Wishful thinking.

Bludawg
04-26-2015, 06:49 PM
No great loss that Kamado never needs plugged in to work.

lankster35
04-26-2015, 07:15 PM
I had (have) a Masterbuilt for 6 years. It has gone out twice and did the exact same thing as yours. The biggest issue with them breaking is the wires burn up at the element or at the temp probe and it is not normally the digital top unit. You need to open up the back of the unit to see if that is the cause. I had to replace my element once in 6 years too. Quit using mine and have a brand new element you can have if you pay for the shipping.

If you read up online you will see they are notorious for the burning wire problem.

Disco Dan
04-26-2015, 07:25 PM
I had (have) a Masterbuilt for 6 years. It has gone out twice and did the exact same thing as yours. The biggest issue with them breaking is the wires burn up at the element or at the temp probe and it is not normally the digital top unit. You need to open up the back of the unit to see if that is the cause. I had to replace my element once in 6 years too. Quit using mine and have a brand new element you can have if you pay for the shipping.

If you read up online you will see they are notorious for the burning wire problem.

Thanks, I will take it apart and check to see if that is the problem. If I need a new element I would gladly pay for shipping if you don't mind sending me yours. I will let you know what I find out. Appreciate your help!!!

lankster35
04-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Two different times I had my wires burn. One time it was at the back of the heating element and the second time it was the wire attached to the temperature probe towards the top corner of the unit. It was real easy to fix both times, get some good insulated tabs or just use electrical tape. After that happened to me I was always worried about leaving home while I was cooking since my smoker sat on my wood deck. Google Masterbuilt wiring problems or Masterbuilt shutting off - and you will find a ton of information. Hope you find the problem.

SYBQ
04-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Lankster35 you are a real brethern!