PDA

View Full Version : First Burn on the Akorn to start seasoning

Decoy205
04-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Ok so FINALLY I got a chance to light this thing up. I needed to get the cast iron grate seasoned up and burn off the factory stuff before putting food on. Tomorrow there will be a fatty for sure.

This is my first time using this type of grill. I thought it would be good to share my experience for anyone who might be interested in these cookers.

I bought a bag of Mexican cowboy lump. The pieces were pretty big for the most part.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/decoy205/Eat%20Me/BF0C8674-C124-4016-8457-BDF97DADD4AB_zps56jgmass.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/decoy205/media/Eat%20Me/BF0C8674-C124-4016-8457-BDF97DADD4AB_zps56jgmass.jpg.html)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/decoy205/Eat%20Me/18B7C5AF-8D61-439B-8DB2-847619FFE76F_zpsyvnmxvgt.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/decoy205/media/Eat%20Me/18B7C5AF-8D61-439B-8DB2-847619FFE76F_zpsyvnmxvgt.jpg.html)

I had cleaned the greasy stuff off the grate and dried it off good. Made a pile of lump.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/decoy205/Eat%20Me/96F90039-79D1-43DA-A364-F2B0B2068CFA_zpstgftfpdy.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/decoy205/media/Eat%20Me/96F90039-79D1-43DA-A364-F2B0B2068CFA_zpstgftfpdy.jpg.html)

I used the cotton ball soaked in alcohol to start it up and as others have said this stuff crackles quite a bit when lighting. I only needed a small portion lit to get it going. With the vents fully open It took about 10 mins to get to 150 then I dropped the vent and exhaust down quite a bit. The vent was at about 1 and the exhaust was about 1/4 open. Another 5-10 mins it was around 250-260. I had sprayed the grate with Pam and let it sit at 250 for about an hour. It did not move. It says to season it at around 400 for a while to get the grate nice and hot. So I opened up the vents a bit.

I don't have a smokin stone yet since its backordered so I got a weber grate and a pizza pan. After I opened the vents up I put the chef alarm at the grate to see what it was doing. I didn't put the pan in yet.

After about 15 mins the the temps were showing about 25* apart the grate being hotter.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/decoy205/Eat%20Me/6FDFC659-73F3-4F63-9491-FE5D6C59C11C_zpsqq4n72uu.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/decoy205/media/Eat%20Me/6FDFC659-73F3-4F63-9491-FE5D6C59C11C_zpsqq4n72uu.jpg.html)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/decoy205/Eat%20Me/1DC3D8BF-CDC2-4A37-8EC5-682E5F60C5F1_zpsidnkpp39.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/decoy205/media/Eat%20Me/1DC3D8BF-CDC2-4A37-8EC5-682E5F60C5F1_zpsidnkpp39.jpg.html)

I then put the pizza pan in to see if that made a difference. After another 15 mins the grate was only about 15* hotter than the dome. I think the dome therm is actually ok Just in the wrong place.

Here's what I learned:

1- I can most likely get this thing to hold between 275-300 with no issues at all. If i don't overshoot then it will be rock solid.

2. The cowboy lump gave off blue smoke really really fast. I hope it adds good flavor to the food.

3. It takes a long time to cool this thing down. To shut it down I had the vents completely closed for a long time. I had to open it to let the heat out a few times to get it to start to drop.

My question to other Akorn or kamado users. If the cooker isn't under a covered porch or something to protect it from the rain and it's still hot for a long time so you can't cover it.. What do you guys do? I know after it gunks up a bit it will cool down faster but for now it stays hot for a long time which is good for long cooks but bad if you want to grill something fast and then put it away.

I'm afraid how long it will take to cool down if I put this thing up to 600! Any advice on this is appreciated.

Sorry for the long post thanks for lookin!
-John

Single Malt Slacker
04-18-2015, 08:59 PM
I would suggest just keeping the lid closed until the outside of the Akorn isn't hot, then put the cover on. In the event of rain and it's still too hot for the cover, I have just put a flat, shallow container on the top vent to minimize water intrusion. And if you get water in it, clean it out and dry it afterwards. Just don't let the water sit for weeks in the bottom of the ash pan.

Decoy205
04-18-2015, 09:06 PM
I would suggest just keeping the lid closed until the outside of the Akorn isn't hot, then put the cover on. In the event of rain and it's still too hot for the cover, I have just put a flat, shallow container on the top vent to minimize water intrusion. And if you get water in it, clean it out and dry it afterwards. Just don't let the water sit for weeks in the bottom of the ash pan.

Thank you for that advice. I'm a bit paranoid so I wasn't sure if it was ok to put the cover on it if I know it's still hot inside even if the outside is cool. But it seems like the best option. I like the pan idea for the top vent if it's still hot. Good tip!

Big George's BBQ
04-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Congrats and enjoy I have an Egg which stays hot If it rains and still hot I cover it when it stops raining You cook in the rain and dont cover it

Decoy205
04-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Congrats and enjoy I have an Egg which stays hot If it rains and still hot I cover it when it stops raining You cook in the rain and dont cover it

Thanks!! I don't think you have to worry as much about rust with the egg! But I guess the key here is to not get water inside the thing and it should be ok.

SkinnyVinny
04-19-2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks!! I don't think you have to worry as much about rust with the egg! But I guess the key here is to not get water inside the thing and it should be ok.

great buy! I've been considering the exact one since they've been clearing them out here in my neck of the woods, although I have a brand new WSM that will have to tie me over.

I would suggest checking out this forum (http://www.kamadoguru.com/forum/18-char-griller-akorn-kamado-king-griller/) as it has info specifically related to the akorn.

Some common problems seem to be rust building up underneath the ash pan due to condensation seeping in from the top vent somehow. Doesn't seem like a hard fix, just something that doesn't pop up immediately until its too late

smoke ninja
04-19-2015, 12:50 AM
Enjoy the akorn brother.

With a little care she'll be with ya for years.

ebijack
04-19-2015, 06:21 AM
If it takes a really long time to cool, I'd thing you have at least one if not more small leaks. Once I sealed mine up it response pretty quickly/similar to my UDS's.
And yes, you will need to keep it covered to keep the water out. Not only will/can leak from the top cap, but water will/can get by the mesh seal at the ash pan. So any water that runs down the sides below the lid section is headed there.

Decoy205
04-19-2015, 08:46 AM
great buy! I've been considering the exact one since they've been clearing them out here in my neck of the woods, although I have a brand new WSM that will have to tie me over.

I would suggest checking out this forum (http://www.kamadoguru.com/forum/18-char-griller-akorn-kamado-king-griller/) as it has info specifically related to the akorn.

Some common problems seem to be rust building up underneath the ash pan due to condensation seeping in from the top vent somehow. Doesn't seem like a hard fix, just something that doesn't pop up immediately until its too late

Thanks. I've read many threads on that board since researching the Akorn here. It was helpful and I think because of the brethren and that site I was prepared to use it. I will definitley be mindful of that water build up issue. Thanks for the tip.

Decoy205
04-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Enjoy the akorn brother.

With a little care she'll be with ya for years.

Thanks Ninja. I know you have been using one and getting great results. I hope I can get close!

Decoy205
04-19-2015, 08:53 AM
If it takes a really long time to cool, I'd thing you have at least one if not more small leaks. Once I sealed mine up it response pretty quickly/similar to my UDS's.
And yes, you will need to keep it covered to keep the water out. Not only will/can leak from the top cap, but water will/can get by the mesh seal at the ash pan. So any water that runs down the sides below the lid section is headed there.

Thanks Ebijack. I read your tips and mods many times they are very helpful. I'm hoping it's just a little leaky because it's new but if it continues to take forever to cool due to leaks I'll definitley have to add some gaskets.

The ash pan seems very snug. But the front of the cooker was definitely not as tight as the back. I can't do the bent clip mod on this one because it's a differnt style clip but I may try the electrical tape on the clip to make it tighter. Maybe that will help.

I will def keep an eye on the ash pan for water thank!

BBQdisciple
04-20-2015, 08:26 AM
I just "retired" my Akorn to the garage. She has been a work horse for the last three years and has been subjected to much rain and snow. It is also relevant to mention i live in coastal city, below sea level with salt water rain. I will let her live her twilight years sheltered from the elements.

I have done cooks 20 hours long and I have had the cast iron so hot it glowed. I have put this thing through hell and she continues to serve me well.

It has held up well, and I am sure I will get more years. The only rusting I have seems to be inside the ash pan, water somehow gets in between the "double insulation" after a good rain. I have replaced the hinge bolts once, and probably will need to again. The stock ones eventually disintegrated. Again, I've had this thing well over the 700 degrees the dome therm registers. I've done no mods to this cooker. I've been using out of the box and I have no problem cooking as low as 225.

I will probably wheel her out for special long cooks, and definately for winter cooking. But for now, my OTG gets all the action.

tnfan47
04-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Sounds like you have a good control of it. Don't be afraid to put more lump in their, but I understand if you were just seasoning it. After a few cooks, it will eventually seal itself. The only thing I've done on mine is put high temp. gasket around the lid and ash pan. I can maintain temps well on it, might have to tinker with it here and there every so often on long cooks.

Sausage Warrior
04-20-2015, 12:37 PM
From a former Acorn (actually the precursor to the Acorn) owner. There's some mods on this site I highly recommend that will improve performance.

My Acorn wanted to run around 275 - I suggest you let it do so. Trying to damper it down to lower temps is only going to cause frustration and smothered fires.

It does a great job at maintaining temps but if it gets to hot (real easy to do) you're just going to have to live with it as it takes a long time to cool down.

The top vent is troublesome. IT WILL LEAK and the water will go into the ash pan. Once water gets in the ash pan it gets under it into the shell and is impossible to remove it all - especially when combined with ash. This is not good as it promotes rust.

They make covers - get one is the best advise I can offer.

BigBobBQ
04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
I just ordered the one with the cart myself, I then proceeded to add the extras that I figure I will need. I got the BGE gasket set, some rvt for the vent, 18" grate, pizza pan, weber cubes, and a cover, glad this one will last for years..

ebijack
04-21-2015, 05:01 AM
I will def keep an eye on the ash pan for water thank!
Easy to do, after a good rain, remove your ash pan and turn it over so the air vent section is on the bottom side towards the ground. If water drops come out/ are visible since you really can not get the water out easily, you have water getting into the ash pan. I was able to see water had been getting past that mesh gasket. I didn't have an air leak there, but water was able to get thru. Go figure. You could lightly bend your tabs on the housing to tighten the ash pan or drill/file out the holes and adjust it tighter and not mess with the clips. Just a thought.

Decoy205
04-21-2015, 07:04 AM
I just "retired" my Akorn to the garage. She has been a work horse for the last three years and has been subjected to much rain and snow. It is also relevant to mention i live in coastal city, below sea level with salt water rain. I will let her live her twilight years sheltered from the elements.

I have done cooks 20 hours long and I have had the cast iron so hot it glowed. I have put this thing through hell and she continues to serve me well.

It has held up well, and I am sure I will get more years. The only rusting I have seems to be inside the ash pan, water somehow gets in between the "double insulation" after a good rain. I have replaced the hinge bolts once, and probably will need to again. The stock ones eventually disintegrated. Again, I've had this thing well over the 700 degrees the dome therm registers. I've done no mods to this cooker. I've been using out of the box and I have no problem cooking as low as 225.

I will probably wheel her out for special long cooks, and definately for winter cooking. But for now, my OTG gets all the action.

I agree I think the hinge bolts are crappy on this thing and will have to be changed eventually. So far so good I'll take care of it and see how it goes!

Sounds like you have a good control of it. Don't be afraid to put more lump in their, but I understand if you were just seasoning it. After a few cooks, it will eventually seal itself. The only thing I've done on mine is put high temp. gasket around the lid and ash pan. I can maintain temps well on it, might have to tinker with it here and there every so often on long cooks.
I may yet get the gaskets. Cool down is my biggest annoyance. Everything else is running smooth now. It fires up quick and maintains steady temps.

From a former Acorn (actually the precursor to the Acorn) owner. There's some mods on this site I highly recommend that will improve performance.

My Acorn wanted to run around 275 - I suggest you let it do so. Trying to damper it down to lower temps is only going to cause frustration and smothered fires.

It does a great job at maintaining temps but if it gets to hot (real easy to do) you're just going to have to live with it as it takes a long time to cool down.

The top vent is troublesome. IT WILL LEAK and the water will go into the ash pan. Once water gets in the ash pan it gets under it into the shell and is impossible to remove it all - especially when combined with ash. This is not good as it promotes rust.

They make covers - get one is the best advise I can offer.

I do have the cover and as soon as it's cool enough I put it on. Good thing too it's raining a lot this week! I think I will move it to the garage though so I don't have to worry as much. As for temps per the advice of the brethren I will "trust the egg" whatever temps it settles at is where I will cook. Trying to force it will lead to frustration.

I just ordered the one with the cart myself, I then proceeded to add the extras that I figure I will need. I got the BGE gasket set, some rvt for the vent, 18" grate, pizza pan, weber cubes, and a cover, glad this one will last for years..

I can't wait to see the pron man! Also will follow to see how the gaskets woek out for you.

-John

Decoy205
04-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Easy to do, after a good rain, remove your ash pan and turn it over so the air vent section is on the bottom side towards the ground. If water drops come out/ are visible since you really can not get the water out easily, you have water getting into the ash pan. I was able to see water had been getting past that mesh gasket. I didn't have an air leak there, but water was able to get thru. Go figure. You could lightly bend your tabs on the housing to tighten the ash pan or drill/file out the holes and adjust it tighter and not mess with the clips. Just a thought.

Thanks for all your help and advice! I will definitely keep all this in mind.

Decoy205
04-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Seasoned up now with the lonely fatty:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/decoy205/Eat%20Me/94566F5A-CF46-4C77-821D-414CB7C48EEC_zpsgszofnvr.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/decoy205/media/Eat%20Me/94566F5A-CF46-4C77-821D-414CB7C48EEC_zpsgszofnvr.jpg.html)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/decoy205/Eat%20Me/C896C1D5-296C-4D08-B477-7EE28AF7EDDC_zpsdzo0kv6a.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/decoy205/media/Eat%20Me/C896C1D5-296C-4D08-B477-7EE28AF7EDDC_zpsdzo0kv6a.jpg.html)