PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Shirley Fabrication Smoker for the House

AZRaptor
04-17-2015, 11:50 PM
I've been looking at adding an offset smoker to my growing collection of smokers and I've been really impressed with what I've seen and heard about the Shirley Fabrication smokers. All these big smokers look awesome, but I'm thinking they are probably overkill for my backyard and family of four. I noticed the SF site has a smaller looking patio smoker, but I couldn't find any information about it on their site. I've sent them an email to get more info, but I was curious to know if anyone has one of these smaller SF Patio smokers, and if so what you think of them.

http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/wp-content/gallery/patio-models-2nd-row/dsc01739.jpg

Shagdog
04-18-2015, 04:13 AM
I think that will give Paul a chuckle. He hasn't updated his site in a long long time..

Long story short, he will build whatever you need. If you have the patience to wait your turn, you will get the cooker of a lifetime. I am at his house as I write this, picking up my pit. The build quality is beyond anything I've seen anywhere. Totally reccomend giving him a call.

Also, he is having some email issues, so either PM him on here, (TuscaloosaQ) call him, or PM him on Facebook. You should look at his FB page too. He updates that regularly.

pjtexas1
04-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Paul could shorten his current model down to 48" for you. You can also leave off the warmer but I really think his warmer and configuration options is what makes his cookers so popular.

toys4dlr
04-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Hey AZ, come up and check out my Patio. It is 52 x 24 cabinet model with a warmer.

You would be surprise in the relative compact foot print, but how much you can do with it. Since I was the one to lite this SF fire in you, you should check it out in person and seal the deal.

Warning is the shipping, it is not cheap to get it to AZ. But, I have already forgot the cost and it is slowly winning me some money at comps. Win - Win

jbounds286
04-18-2015, 11:29 AM
I 2nd the warmer. having the "built in grill" so to speak makes life great!

Pete's Meat
04-18-2015, 11:29 AM
KAT smokers in Modesto, CA might be a cheeper shipping option. I stopped by and met Ken, and he has a first class operation going for sure.
Although I do still dream a Shirley, the shipping/wait isn't an option for me

Bigr314
04-18-2015, 12:10 PM
I have what is considered a patio cooker from Shirley. Is is on wheels. Moves around real easy. Mine is 24X50. It is the best thing I have bought in a long time. Check out their Facebook page. Paul is a great guy. Give him a call.
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/bigr314/New%20Cooker%20Pics/photo4_zpsf4e16754.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/bigr314/Smoked%20Food/image_zps97eaf7e9.jpg

AZRaptor
04-18-2015, 12:11 PM
I do want a vertical warmer (I asked Paul, via email, about adding one to the original unit I was asking about), but it sounds like they may not make those anymore.

I'd really like to get an idea of the base price for their stuff and the available options and see what it would end up costing me. If they haven't updated the site in a while I suspect the posted base price of the 24x50 patio smoker w/ and w/o the warmer may be out of date.

I gave the KAT ones a quick look, and the base prices were higher than what I could find on the SF site which also makes me wonder about the accuracy of the SF site. (No Warmer Models: Compare KAT 48x24 @ $2525 vs SF 24x50 @ $1500). The KAT look well made, but I really like the cabinet upgrade available on the SF. I've gotten used to the doors on my PG500 pellet smoker.

As for lead time, from what Paul mentioned in one of his recent videos they are booked out to June, so it sounds like it would be a fair amount of time before I got it (which would give me more time to afford it).

toys4dlr, I assume your SF is at the house and not the restaurant. I may have to stop by and give 'er a gander.

ButtBurner
04-18-2015, 12:44 PM
simple

ask Paul what he charges.

he doesnt bite :biggrin1:

have him work you up a quote and go from there

AZRaptor
04-18-2015, 12:59 PM
I sent them an e-mail late last night via the website, I just haven't heard back yet (which I wouldn't have expected to).

I can give him a call to get more details, but would like to have an idea of what I'm looking at before wasting his time.

bbqwilly
04-18-2015, 01:35 PM
I know its been said a lot. But you really need to just call him and tell him what you are looking for. He is a super nice guy and you wont be wasting his time. Good luck

AZRaptor
04-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I'll probably go ahead and just do that.

Hey toys4dlr,

my wife and I are heading up that direction today and plan to pop in for a bit of a late lunch. I'll try and say Hi if you're there.

toys4dlr
04-18-2015, 02:56 PM
AZ, my wife is there right now. I am chilling at home posting online. :razz: If you are in the area, stop by. I can show you our patio.

I will also put my two cents in with regards to Paul and his family. First I have never met him in person, but I can tell he and his family are first class people all the way. He donates cookers to charitable causes, and just has the great personal touch and passion to what he does. If I am ever with in 500 miles of his place, I will stop by just to shake his hand.

TuscaloosaQ
04-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Thx everyone for the kind words.... I am having major issues with my Shirley fabrication... Email.... Someone hacked it and was sending out all sorts of crap.. That being said... If anyone had emailed me.. And not got a reply.. That is why.... I sent several emails out and they came back i found out.... I have an IT guy on this... It is a mess... Our website is fixing to be totally updated... Pricing on custom builds will not be there... That is between me and the customer .... Anything or price on the site currently... I will honor... And i should if it is out there for people to see... The updated site will have videos tons of cookers... And some other stuff.... I will say this all of the pictures of the Cat smokers i have seen looks like the gentleman is building a well made quality smoker... Brother i wish you the best of luck... The gentleman at cats smokers... There is room for you in this market.....

My brethern friend Shagdog and his father came and stayed the night with us..... Awesome awesome people.... Just like the rest of the brethern....

AZRaptor
04-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Ahh ok. We just walked in. Gonna sit down and "loosen our belts". Figured I should try a sampling of the wares.

sylntghost
04-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Paul and Tylers work is second to none. i searched the net for almost a year and could not find a better price.they will build you exactly what you want. ive had mine since december and still just love to look at it in the backyard. they are well worth the wait.

AZRaptor
04-18-2015, 08:18 PM
After My wife and I stopped and had a great lunch over at David's (toys4dlr) restaurant we popped over to his house and I took a look at his Shirley. I have to say I was blown away. It's an awesome looking smoker and my wife kept marveling at how good the welds looked. Seeing it in person made me realize the size wasn't going to be too big so I'll probably be calling Paul soon to talk over options and hopefully get in the quickly growing line of purchasers.

Paul I saw the email responses from both you and your wife. Thank you and I will probably be be giving you a call soon.

marubozo
04-18-2015, 11:54 PM
It's already been said, but Shirley is amazing and they will make whatever you need and it will exceed your expectations. Even when ours isn't fired up at the restaurant, people want to get a tour and check it out in amazement.

AZRaptor
04-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Well I talked to Paul yesterday and I discovered the only thing better than his welds is how easy of a guy he is to talk to. We talked about what I was looking for and went over a couple ideas and then I spent last night with the options list thinking over how I would spec out one of their smokers. I sent him what I think would be my ideal config late tonight to make sure I didn't overlook something obvious, but if I'm able to swing it, I'm sure it will be one hell of a cooker.

Thanks to all those that told me to just call him. It really was the best way to go about it.

aawa
04-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Rock on. Even though I don't own one, I know you will love this cooker. I can't wait till i get enough money saved up to purchase one of these!

toys4dlr
04-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Hey AZ, glad I could help you spend your money. I would look at the warmer and I don't know what it is called, but paul puts a 45 degree angle around the top. To me it just looks awesome, oh and some form of sausage hooks in the warmer for cold smoking bacon and sausage.

Just fired up Lucille last night and did a practice half chicken cook, as I am heading out to an IBCA cook off at Stagecoach Music Festival . The chicken came out awesome. You will love this cooker.

AZRaptor
04-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Yeah, Thanks for the help. :) My deposit check is being overnighted tomorrow, so I should have my spot in line secured.

I'm going with a 24x52 cabinet model. third shelf and sausage rods in the warmer and still debating the hip roof on the warming cabinet. I need to talk to Paul and find out how much additional room it gives. I've got time to finalize the config as Paul is booked out to October now.

Anyone who has an SF wit the hip roof on the warmer please feel free to comment on what you think of it.

tnfan47
04-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Yeah, Thanks for the help. :) My deposit check is being overnighted tomorrow, so I should have my spot in line secured.

I'm going with a 24x52 cabinet model. third shelf and sausage rods in the warmer and still debating the hip roof on the warming cabinet. I need to talk to Paul and find out how much additional room it gives. I've got time to finalize the config as Paul is booked out to October now.

Anyone who has an SF wit the hip roof on the warmer please feel free to comment on what you think of it.

I don't own a SF, but it sounds like it would help divert water off of the warmer. I could be wrong though.