PDA

View Full Version : smoker reviews

Plump Rump BBQ
04-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Ok right now I have a char griller offset I love it it is my first smoker yes it has air leaks and temp has to be watched closely I am looking to get a new smoker I don't have a lot of money I was looking at an Oklahoma Joe longhorn any thoughts I am looking to get a hbt 400 reverse flow in a couple years but I need a smoker to get me thought till then any thoughts

Clay-b-que
04-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Build a UDS. It can cost as little as $50. I love mine!

harleykids
04-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Used early brinkmann offset 1/4" thick, or early OK Joes, also very thick steel. Weld in a baffle plate to choke down the firebox hole into the cook chamber, cut three 8" wide x 1/4" thick plate steel tuning plates (simple rectangles) drop them in the smoker, should leave just enough room to fit a foil pan for water sitting on top of the plates, below the grate.

That's it.

Smoker should cost you no more than $150 used on CL, and maybe $30-$40 for the plates and baffle. Add $15 worth of high temp black spray paint, and your in biz. Cheap and puts out Q that is as good as the $3k+ rigs! Stickburner (60% Royal Oak lump and 40% of your favorite wood splits. Works like a charm, everytime!

DcMak
04-17-2015, 05:14 AM
Build a UDS. It can cost as little as $50. I love mine! I agree best bang for the buck!

ButtBurner
04-17-2015, 07:35 AM
I had a OK Longhorn from Lowes, great smoker. I sold it to smoke ninja

I am sure he will be along to tell you about it

smoke ninja
04-17-2015, 07:44 AM
The longhorn is definitely a step up from the char griller. Built solid and will last a long time. These things are heavy. It will definitely do until you graduate to the over $1000 price range.

ahill450
04-17-2015, 07:59 AM
I got a HBT Reverse 400 back in February and so far it has been great. It holds temp very good and the firebox is better vented than what it looks like in the picks. I had them add the insulated fire box and round of the corners of the shelf. the only thing I would change about it that i wish I had them do was to make the coal grates in the charcoal grill removable for easier cleaning. I will probably find a local welder to do that for me. oh and also as soon as you get it (if you decide to get a HBT) is to get different temp gauges, because the ones it comes with is 50 to 100 degrees off. mine was showing 250 but it was actually 350. I know a lot of people say they are not that good but I am very happy with mine.

tnfan47
04-17-2015, 08:00 AM
After reading Aaron Franklins new book it has me looking for a stick burner... ha

daninnewjersey
04-17-2015, 08:16 AM
I definitely suggest a drum smoker. This thing cost like $50 to make. Will cook a lot of meat at once and makes some damn good BBQ. I've used it in comps and beat guys that had $5000 smokers...:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Richard_
04-17-2015, 08:46 AM
I definitely suggest a drum smoker. This thing cost like $50 to make. Will cook a lot of meat at once and makes some damn good BBQ. I've used it in comps and beat guys that had $5000 smokers...:biggrin1::biggrin1:

X2 , it's a fun build , and yes it's also fun beating the guys with high dollar smokers in comps.

mike-cleveland
04-17-2015, 09:07 AM
I just upgraded from my Char-griller offset to a OK Highland (walmart exlusive), it is a bit smaller than the highland but I think that is the only difference. Overall I like it. Picture and my review can be found here.

http://www.imnotallowed.com/wp/?p=421

Also it sells for just under $300.

Fwismoker
04-17-2015, 09:18 AM
X2 , it's a fun build , and yes it's also fun beating the guys with high dollar smokers in comps.

Big $ in a smoker doesn't = better BBQ that's for sure. It's a good fire producing better smoke , seasonings, type of heat (direct/indirect) or blended and the pitmaster.

pgyrogear
04-22-2015, 02:17 AM
After reading Aaron Franklins new book it has me looking for a stick burner... ha

After reading Aaron's book there are going to be a lot of changed minds