PDA

View Full Version : Canjun bandit/smoke ez owners

jsperk
04-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I was curious how is the fuel consumption when using those. Would it be the same as running a wsm?

I want possibly add a smoker and I figured why add another unit if I can just convert my otg into a bigger smoker.

Also with the smoke ez can u hand ribs like a pbc?

I haven't ruled out adding a pbc.

Right now have a otg and an offset. I didn't have splits yesterday and that thing went thru 16 pound bag of charcoal, two bags of chunks for a rib cook.

AClarke44
04-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Glad you asked this is something I've wondered myself. I'm looking at adding a dedicated smoker (UDS, PBC, WSM) or just a Smokez myself. Looking forward to the responses. :pop2:

ajstrider
04-13-2015, 11:18 AM
The real downside is that you are stuck using the one touch intake system which is very lesky and hard to control unless you use the snake method. If you are ok with so-so temperature control, then it might be alright. But if you are one of those people who want to dial in 250 exactly or something like thag, I would not go this route.

qnbiker
04-13-2015, 02:59 PM
I have a Smoke EZ.

1. Fuel consumption is similar to the same size WSM.

2. It's similar to the WSM but uses the snake method instead of the Minion Method.

3. Yes, you can hang ribs and everything else like the PBC. It has an attachment made to do this.

You aren't stuck with the OTS; just get an old 3-wheeler off craigslist. They pop up around here all the time for $15-$30. Having said that, I get pretty stable temps with the Smoke EZ using the OTS on my Performer, although it's a little harder to dial in than my WSM. It's easy enough that I sold my 3-wheeler that I was using. I use the Performer/Smoke EZ a lot more than my WSM, mostly because it's 22.5" compared to 18.5". I hate folding briskets.

dadsr4
04-13-2015, 03:01 PM
The real downside is that you are stuck using the one touch intake system which is very lesky and hard to control unless you use the snake method. If you are ok with so-so temperature control, then it might be alright. But if you are one of those people who want to dial in 250 exactly or something like thag, I would not go this route.
If you learn to run the kettle correctly, it should be just as efficient as any other cooker. I, and many others, have no problem running a kettle low and slow. I usually use the minion method for up to 10 hour cooks with no added charcoal.

Jeep
04-13-2015, 03:13 PM
I have a Cajun Bandit. I fight with temperature control on it a lot. When I shut off my one touch intakes the temperature still rises. I cant seem to get it to settle into a low temp at all. I usually end up having to close down the top vent to get temps to stop rising. I image that it is something that I am doing wrong. I have not used the snake method for coals in the CB but suspect that it is something that I should try.

With that said, just yesterday, I got it so hot that I burned all the paint off the middle section. Now I am trying to decide if I really want to repaint it AND/or purchase a WSM.

-Jeep

dadsr4
04-13-2015, 03:16 PM
I have a Cajun Bandit. I fight with temperature control on it a lot. When I shut off my one touch intakes the temperature still rises. I cant seem to get it to settle into a low temp at all. I usually end up having to close down the top vent to get temps to stop rising. I image that it is something that I am doing wrong. I have not used the snake method for coals in the CB but suspect that it is something that I should try.

With that said, just yesterday, I got it so hot that I burned all the paint off the middle section. Now I am trying to decide if I really want to repaint it AND/or purchase a WSM.

-Jeep
Try starting 8 to 10 coals, then dumping them on top of a pile of unlit charcoal. Catch the temps as they rise using the vents, and all will be good.

Roast Beast
04-13-2015, 10:43 PM
I have a Smoke EZ that I've used with an old redhead three-wheeler. To be honest, it holds temp better than my WSMs, probably because of tighter connections and no door. I don't use the little charcoal ring it came with. I sub a real WSM charcoal ring or a homemade charcoal basket instead and run minion instead of snake.

swamprb
04-14-2015, 08:02 AM
I added a Guru adapter to my 22" Master-Touch/Cajun Bandit conversion for stress free long cooks.

For the most part I use it without the fan for Chicken and Rib cooks and with the rotisserie ring.

It takes a little getting used to and can be touchy if you are heavy handed with the vent opening. What I've done is made graduated marks on the ash can assembly ring/vent lever so I know how far open the vanes are. I've also got an internal ash pan from a Sears/Weber Economy kettle that really works well for low and slow cooks.

I started a Cajun Bandit Users group on FB that has some members with Smoke EZ's and Drums as well. Feel free to check it out. I have practically all the CB products and done quite a few mods that work for me. https://www.facebook.com/groups/374475039413561/

jsperk
04-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the info.

Dang to many choices. Now I'm looking at the onyx cabinet smoker. I only cook for 2 or 3 usually and one big cook on Memorial day weekend.

I have a kettle and 48 inch offset, blackstone. I had a ceracim before loved ot fpor the winter but prefer my kettle for some reason for straight out grilling and indirect cooking. I'm debating between ceramic, smoke ez/canjun bandit, now the onyx or sell my homemade offset I bought and get a good one. Decisions, decisions.

swamprb
04-14-2015, 10:32 PM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/CajunBandit/IMG_6344.jpg

Guru'd!

BB-Kuhn
04-15-2015, 06:11 PM
I have the bandit.
It's not set up to hang, but you could try to fab something up.
Temp control is easy but you have to stay on top of it, no walking too far away, even with a snake.
With the heat diffuser it works very much like a less stable WSM 22.

I placed in a contest using one but bought a wsm and PBC once I decided to compete more.

Though at home, I've ended up using it all the time, no diffuser and hot grill temp with elevated grate on the bandit is sort of like a high temp uds or Santa Maria. It's awesome.

Long story short, it is a pretty decent smoker but also makes for an extremely more versatile weber kettle. Best 120 (or whatever it was 3yrs ago) I've ever spent.

dadsr4
04-15-2015, 06:34 PM
I have the bandit.
It's not set up to hang, but you could try to fab something up.
Temp control is easy but you have to stay on top of it, no walking too far away, even with a snake.
With the heat diffuser it works very much like a less stable WSM 22.

I placed in a contest using one but bought a wsm and PBC once I decided to compete more.

Though at home, I've ended up using it all the time, no diffuser and hot grill temp with elevated grate on the bandit is sort of like a high temp uds or Santa Maria. It's awesome.

Long story short, it is a pretty decent smoker but also makes for an extremely more versatile weber kettle. Best 120 (or whatever it was 3yrs ago) I've ever spent.
I walk away from my kettle for hours. Try the minion method, controlling temp using the vents.

swamprb
04-16-2015, 06:56 AM
I use mine in comps as the Chicken cooker.