PDA

View Full Version : Kids BBQ Camp?

Ribeye Republic
04-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Gathering ideas for a possible kids BBQ camp this summer through Hasty Bake. I'm thinking ages 8-15, 2-3 days. Possible topics would be basic fire management, making your own rubs, grilling versus smoking, basic meat prep.

Any other topic ideas? Kids make lunch for themselves each day, and maybe a family meal on the last day to take home.

What else would be interesting to do? This to avoid. Number of instructors, max class size.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Maybe I can get Cowgirl to come over and help.

SGH
04-12-2015, 05:39 PM
I'm not very good at organizing stuff so I can't really offer any input. But if y'all were closer I would gladly volunteer my time and pit to help you out. Wish you good luck with this. This is the sort of thing kids need instead of rap and video games.

cowgirl
04-12-2015, 05:39 PM
That sounds like a fun idea! :thumb::-D

redline bovine
04-12-2015, 06:42 PM
This would be great for kids to learn.

Ribeye Republic
04-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Bump for the day crowd.

Decoy205
04-13-2015, 07:30 AM
You'll probabky want some sort of first aid with kids and fire Ya never know. But other than that I think it's awesome. I hope you can do it!

bathmatt
04-13-2015, 03:53 PM
I love the idea but the hard part is keeping the kids interested. 8-15 is a huge age range in interest and attention span. Think a lot about timing with a brisket taking 6-12 hours, you have a hard class to master.

I hope you still do it and I thought, man this would be great, just don't underestimate the work.

Final comment, please keep notes on timeline, gear, success/failures.. so others on this forum can duplicate and spread the gospel

Ribeye Republic
04-13-2015, 08:04 PM
I love the idea but the hard part is keeping the kids interested. 8-15 is a huge age range in interest and attention span. Think a lot about timing with a brisket taking 6-12 hours, you have a hard class to master.

I hope you still do it and I thought, man this would be great, just don't underestimate the work.

Final comment, please keep notes on timeline, gear, success/failures.. so others on this forum can duplicate and spread the gospel

Good thoughts. Big meats will be timed to finish during the day like in comp classes.

Stingerhook
04-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Nice idea. If you weren't so far Short Stuff would be in.

smoke ninja
04-13-2015, 09:55 PM
If cowgirl is helping i may have to attend

Im a kid, im just really hairy and my breathe smells of beer.