PDA

View Full Version : wsm 14.5

bradymartin
04-12-2015, 12:21 AM
should be here in a few days. i researched the hell out of what smoker to get including the pbc, akorn. etc.

just two of us, a chicken, a rack of ribs.

so i wanted to spend $300 at most

if i had to choose just one should i get the maverick 733 or the bbq guru partyq (partyq will make the whole purchase well over $300 (but if it makes life easier ill buy and be done with it)

i have a thermapen if that makes a difference

Rusty Kettle
04-12-2015, 04:20 AM
I like lump charcoal for mine. Less ash production so nicer fire. It takes some getting use to that is for sure.

Blue Smoke BBQ
04-12-2015, 07:00 AM
I have one of each of the WSM family
All work a little different, you will love that little devil!

ajstrider
04-12-2015, 07:24 AM
I got a Maverick when I first started cooking, after a couple months I stopped using it. You kind of get use to how the cooks are going and the Thermapen will tell you when things like chicken, turkey, or prime rib cooks are done.

I also have a Guru, though I don't use it much anymore either.

So I suppose my advice, whatever that is worth, is to wait on those purchases and see if you really need them? What might be a better purchase is installing a more reliable thermometer on the WSM itself because the stock ones are junk and should never even be looked at. The dome isn't my suggested location for one either, placing one at grate level is a much better indication of cooking temperature. The dome should be hotter than grate level.

smoke ninja
04-12-2015, 08:31 AM
I highly recommend the maverick or any pit thermometer. With Q i dont care about meat temps but pit temp is helpful. it aides in timing. It's very important to time your cooks. Yes its done when it's done but hungry guest don't want to hear that.

falconer
04-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Really like my CyberQ controller... makes steady temps a breeze even in funky weather...

grantw
04-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Get the party's, my 14.5 will run almost a whole day on 1 bucket of lump, I have the digi q, but the temp controll will be about the same as party q

grantw
04-12-2015, 12:44 PM
I run mine at 250 with water most of the time