PDA

View Full Version : Any clever mods to 22.5" OTG that..

bbqgeekess
04-09-2015, 01:07 AM
.. would keep it from being so WOBBLY?

There must be some simple fix. That's one thing I don't like about the kettles.. so wobbly.. makes them seem cheap. I love my kettle and can tolerate it if there isn't an easy fix.

Thanks,
Jennifer

smoke ninja
04-09-2015, 01:13 AM
My only suggestion would be to build a table/cart for it. I scored a performer used (actually it's an older one touch platinum but basically same thing) and the work space is invaluable and it's plenty sturdy.

may not be the simplest solution but it would solve your problem

1buckie
04-09-2015, 02:33 AM
It's one of two things.....

First, if the actual leg welds are coming loose, then it's a more complicated fix involving drilling thru the little tab of the leg sockets where you can see them coming apart & running a sheet metal screw into the hole to create a solid bond of leg socket to bowl...
Use pretty small screws & grind off any tips that show thru inside the bowl because they may interfere with the One-Touch sweeps....

Second, and MUCH easier is to remove the legs, flare out the top of each leg with a broomstick or other suitably sized round appliance.....
This will enlarge the diameter of the leg to sit much more solidly in the socket & it actually pretty much stops the annoying wobble....9 out of 10 times, it's this, unless the kettle has been 'shocked' in transport & those little welds are broken or partially loose.....

Edit: When you go to remove the legs, TWIST around, do NOT rock back & forth as that can then crack the socket welds........

ajstrider
04-09-2015, 06:29 AM
None of my kettles wobble, are you sure your legs are pushed all the way into their sockets?

Bludawg
04-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I had Wobble leg problems on Sputnick about 5 yrs before his retirement last month. To fix it I installed a self taping screw at the top of the leg socket where it meets the bowl, There is a small opening run a screw into the leg through it, as it draws down the head contacts the socket and pulls the leg tight, If you use a Cordless drill with a driver bit you don''t need to drill any holes just run the screws in 5 min fix.

Smokesignalsfromtx
04-09-2015, 11:54 AM
i had wobble leg problems on sputnick about 5 yrs before his retirement last month. To fix it i installed a self taping screw at the top of the leg socket where it meets the bowl, there is a small opening run a screw into the leg through it, as it draws down the head contacts the socket and pulls the leg tight, if you use a cordless drill with a driver bit you don''t need to drill any holes just run the screws in 5 min fix.

^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

allboy
04-09-2015, 01:15 PM
They do wobble. They have play where the legs go in, and u do get rust around the leg holders. Not the best design. Like someone said........try to find a used
22" performer. Problem solved.