PDA

View Full Version : Cooking for Prom

Harbormaster
04-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Some of y'all may remember my son asked me to cook for his first date a couple of years ago (Homecoming, detailed in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172503).

He has a date for Prom this weekend and told the girl who asked him that he would rather not go out to dinner if I didn't cook for them. :shocked: The young lady (not a steady girlfriend or anything, just a friend) thought about it and decided she liked the idea. Joe asked a buddy of his if he wanted to bring his date for dinner too. So, I'll be cooking for four high school juniors Saturday night. (Yeah, we've kinda started a trend and some of the kids really like doing this. I'm sure the fact that it doesn't cost anyone anything helps, but the SoDT and I really enjoy doing it. It's pretty cool.)

I walked around the grocery store at lunch to get an idea of what to make, and I came up with the following. Let me know your thoughts.

First Course:
Romaine Lettuce Salad with egg, croutons, tomato, and red onion tossed with a creamy Caesar dressing.

Second Course:
Cream of Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower soup.

Main Course:
Choice of Grilled Sesame Ginger Marinated Chicken Breast or Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon. Baked Potato with Toppings and Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Spears.

Desert:
Fresh Berry Compote over Pound Cake topped with Whipped Cream.

pmad
04-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Way to go.
I'd replace the soup with a pasta.
Remember, they are going to be dressed formally.
Soup and that dessert may be messy.

Fat Cap
04-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Mind if me and my Prom date/wife crash the party? Sounds awesome!

EricD
04-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Sounds pretty good! I'd go with the bacon wrapped filet, if I had my choice.
I also second the 'messy' factor when dressed up.

aawa
04-07-2015, 02:05 PM
First thought. If they choose bacon wrapped filet, do you think the bacon wrapped asparagus would be doubling up on the flavor, so it would make everything taste like bacon?

I would do maybe a ginger, garlic soy sauteed asparagus (or green beans/snow peas, etc) Just mince some ginger and garlic. Sweat them down and add the veggies, then add some soy sauce and allow to sautee till veggies are tender. This would go really well with the sesame ginger marinaded chicken really well and compliment the steak.

Then with 4 courses. Salad, Soup, Entree do you think that the dessert might be too heavy with the pound cake? They are going to be going to dance the night away, so keep it light to help them not get fat man syndrome (aka the itis, aka sleepy) after dinner.

Maybe just a simple homemade whipped or clotted cream with mixed berries masarated in lemon juice and sugar. This nice light dessert will keep them feeling fresh vs heavy and bogged down.

smokeacholic
04-07-2015, 02:37 PM
That all sounds fantastic to me. Also a memory will be made.

Harbormaster
04-07-2015, 03:03 PM
First thought. If they choose bacon wrapped filet, do you think the bacon wrapped asparagus would be doubling up on the flavor, so it would make everything taste like bacon? The bacon on the filet may come off. My son raved about the grilled bacon wrapped asparagus.

I would do maybe a ginger, garlic soy sauteed asparagus (or green beans/snow peas, etc) Just mince some ginger and garlic. Sweat them down and add the veggies, then add some soy sauce and allow to sautee till veggies are tender. This would go really well with the sesame ginger marinaded chicken really well and compliment the steak.That's an option.

do you think that the dessert might be too heavy with the pound cake? I'll keep the portions relatively small. Maybe compote was a bad word to use. I was thinking fresh berries macerated in sugar and lemon juice.

As far as the soup being messy, I did a cream of smoked butternut squash soup for the kids a couple of years ago and it wasn't an issue.

Big George's BBQ
04-07-2015, 03:08 PM
I remember when you did it before and it went really well. This is really nice of you and the meal that they are getting will be better than going out I will be happy to help with any left overs

Harbormaster
04-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Thanks George.
I found out last night most of the other couples are going to Olive Garden.
Seriously?
I know some of these kids may think it's weird to bring your prom date to mom and dad's for dinner, but if the other choice is Olive Garden, it's a no-brainer.

aawa
04-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Dinner at the OG vs Wyocena Yacht Club. I'll bring my date to the WYC!

zane2015
04-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Sounds fantastic, and you're a hands on great parent for making prom special for them. The only thing I will emphasize is not doubling up on the bacon wraps. If he's fond of the wrapped veg, do that. Fillet can stand on its own, with perhaps my favorite, a bearnaise sauce. If there was a fish fan, I might do a cracked peppercorn seared tuna. Either way, its a win win for all of you. Those are permanent memories!! Photo the cook this time.

Wampus
04-09-2015, 05:53 AM
First thought. If they choose bacon wrapped filet, do you think the bacon wrapped asparagus would be doubling up on the flavor, so it would make everything taste like bacon?

I would do maybe a ginger, garlic soy sauteed asparagus (or green beans/snow peas, etc) Just mince some ginger and garlic. Sweat them down and add the veggies, then add some soy sauce and allow to sautee till veggies are tender. This would go really well with the sesame ginger marinaded chicken really well and compliment the steak.

Clark, I've done Steve Raichlen's Sesame Grilled Asparagus (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sesame-grilled-asparagus-recipe.html) before and it's pretty stinkin good. If you're thinking of going with the soy/sesame asparagus, you may try that.

Overall, it sounds like a delicious dinner and a VERY cool thing to do. I'm sure it'll be as good or better than any meal that they'd otherwise pay a lot of money for. Well played sir!

nmeyer414
04-09-2015, 11:30 AM
sounds like a great kid you have there. if he is really wanting to impress his date, why not have him being the one doing the cooking and get him started off early with the knowledge?

snapper-G
04-09-2015, 01:53 PM
There is no comparison of what you're describing and Olive Garden. If Wisconsin wasn't so far away I'd pop in with my date!

Big George's BBQ
04-09-2015, 02:36 PM
His date will be very impressed with what she gets Great way for your boy to start off the evening

Happy Hapgood
04-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Great idea and it looks like you have most restaurants beat with that menu.

Blythewood BBQ'er
04-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Man that's awesome ! I never had a meal that good before any of my proms!

Harbormaster
04-10-2015, 12:00 PM
It turns out I'll be cooking for 6, 2 chicken and 4 beef.
I opted to go with plain tenderloin steaks, about 5 oz each. Did all the rest of the shopping too and have everything set.
While at the store I decided to pass on the pound cake and instead went with some puff pastry bowls. I think it will be lighter but still go well with the berries.
I'm also thinking of hitting the asparagus with just a touch of the sesame ginger marinade and sprinkle some sesame seeds on it to tie everything together.
I always wonder if I enjoy this more than the kids do! Really looking forward to it, and I'll get the SoDT to take pics.

aawa
04-10-2015, 02:14 PM
That is awesome you are cooking for 6 people. The menu looks great and I'll bet they will appreciate it more than a Olive Garden dinner!

I am diggin the changes you made to the menu also. Can you make it dinner for 8? I'll take the chicken since my gf loves filet!

93vpmod
04-10-2015, 02:19 PM
I think that in a few years the stories will go something like this, "Remember when your dad cooked that awesome dinner for prom?"

Major thumbs up!!!

pvcollie
04-10-2015, 02:55 PM
I am too late to the party for a menu suggestion. For future opportunities, a nice grilled salmon filet with dill sauce has always gotten rave reviews when we have people over. Add a nice beef tenderloin and people almost invariably opt for some of both. Surf and turf.

jelewis67
04-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a great plan. As others had mentioned before, your son will remember this and it will make for great memories for him and his friends. Well done Sir!

Big George's BBQ
04-12-2015, 07:31 AM
How did it go Any Pics

Harbormaster
04-12-2015, 08:12 AM
How did it go Any Pics
It went well George, thanks for asking.
We did take pics, and I'll try to get them posted later today.

Big George's BBQ
04-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Thanks I figured it would be impressive

1buckie
04-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Good Deal, man !!!!

I KNOW you know how to cook up a storm, so this should be good !!!!

Beef
04-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Looking forward to the Pics, Clark.

Great memories made!

CakeM1x
04-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Post those pics! Excited to see

Clay-b-que
04-12-2015, 10:51 PM
What a cool deal! That will be a story you guys share for the rest of your lives!!!

Beef
04-13-2015, 12:51 AM
:popcorn:

:tsk:

Harbormaster
04-13-2015, 07:25 AM
First, the salad -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/046_zpsbiazctfz.jpghttps://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=4670B332B2AFA82E&resid=4670b332b2afa82e%214858&authkey=ACzcyHlVhKxzI8c" width="320" height="213" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=4670B332B2AFA82E&resid=4670b332b2afa82e%214858&authkey=ACzcyHlVhKxzI8c" width="320" height="213" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"

The cream of roasted broccoli and cauliflower soup -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/047_zpszupbq19n.jpg

The main course with chicken -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/054_zpsdbad2c0o.jpg

The main course with tenderloin -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/052_zpsvef1bchx.jpg

And finally, desert -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/055_zpsyq1cje2d.jpg

The whole crew at the dinner table -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/056_zpsej4cnkcu.jpg

Joe and his date Brittany down at the waterfront -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/037_zpsmhqit8hy.jpg

Thanks for looking y'all.

The food was good, but not as good as I know I can cook. The soup was lacking and the glaze on the chicken burned a little. Other than that I thought it was top notch.

Wampus
04-13-2015, 08:06 AM
:clap2:

Well done Clark!

:thumb:

Bob Wiley
04-13-2015, 08:50 AM
You can be proud

Brisket73
04-13-2015, 09:34 AM
This is so cool! I hope my kids will feel as comfortable with me some day to include me in such an experience. Kudos to the great parents!

aawa
04-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Great looking dinner. The kids looked happy to have that instead of the OG dinner!

Mike Twangzer
04-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Handsome looking group. Thanks for sharing. Well done.

pmad
04-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Nicely done

THoey1963
04-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Well done Sir! Nice looking meal and happy looking crowd!

1buckie
04-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Handsome looking group. Thanks for sharing. Well done.

Right about like this......you did great & that will be a great memory !!!

buffalotom
04-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Great Job!
This brings back memories. Fifteen years ago we did this for our two boys. We made dinner for ten before prom. We still run into their friends and they comment, Do you remember when you made dinner for us? I even dressed in a tux to serve them. Those are memories that you cannot replace.

Harbormaster
04-13-2015, 09:36 PM
The SoDT works with the mom (Mrs. J) of the young man who brought his date to dinner (on the right in the pic). Mrs J. said that her son's date "raved" about the meal and said it was better that what they could have gotten at a restaurant.
That made me feel good.
The best part of the evening was just watching my son and his friends enjoying themselves.

Big V
04-14-2015, 05:38 AM
You're son is lucky to have a Dad like you! :clap2:

Big George's BBQ
04-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Great cook. I am sure it was s major hit