PDA

View Full Version : New to PBC Cooking

beachsmoker19971
04-06-2015, 11:05 AM
I have a PBC coming this week and I am totally new to this style of cooker. I have been using my Weber kettle for years for all of my smoking but wanted the option to do larger amounts of food when I want.

Has anyone cooking on a PBC tried using less that a full basket of charcoal? I am going to start with halved chickens, and that should take around 2 hours. I don't want to have a fire going for a lot longer than I need to. Not really trying to save charcoal, but I don't want to have to monitor the cooker for hours after I am finished my cook.

Thanks

Jack

IslandSmoke
04-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I am going to start with halved chickens, and that should take around 2 hours. I don't want to have a fire going for a lot longer than I need to. Not really trying to save charcoal, but I don't want to have to monitor the cooker for hours after I am finished my cook.

Thanks

Jack

First, Congrats on the new cooker!! The PBC is a workhorse, its portable, and makes excellent bbq!!

At least for chicken....I would recommend to follow Noah's instructions and load the charcoal basket accordingly. His recipes are well rehearsed and has taken a lot of the guess work out fire and time managment.

You can load less charcoal but with that you affect cooking temperature and will lengthen your cook time. You results may vary as well....

Just my $.02.

Aloha!!

Mike Twangzer
04-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Chickens are great but go ahead and toss in a pork butt to use up some fuel. You 'll still have some fuel left over and you won't be disappointed with the butt.

Thingfish
04-06-2015, 12:22 PM
I would recommend using the full basket for the first few cooks. As simple as the PBC is, it does take a few cooks to get fully comfortable and confident before experimenting.

I almost always hang chicken and ribs together to maximize the return on charcoal investment. The chicken will be ready to come off at 2 hours while the ribs will take closer to 3 - 4 hours. Or , as Mike mentioned, you can hang a butt alongside your chicken, which will finish well before the butt comes up to temp before wrapping it and moving it to the grate.

Have fun with the PBC!

Bob C Cue
04-06-2015, 01:00 PM
After your cook you can remove the rebar and close off the 4 holes with magnets or foil. Do the same with the bottom vent and the fire should be out within an hour. I do this a lot so I can store the PBC before it gets so late into the evening. Best of luck with your new toy.

beachsmoker19971
04-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I will start full and see what happens.

KORND4WG X
04-06-2015, 03:17 PM
I typically use less than a full basket. I made some ribs last night with 1/2 to 3/4 full and I got about 4hrs at 250ish.

sbramm
04-06-2015, 03:28 PM
i generally use a full basket of kingsford blue in my PBC.

one thing i did notice with my last cook, i used kingsford competition and the temp was significantly higher than the blue. using noah's instructions you cook by time and the last batch of ribs were over done and dry using competition briquettes over KBB for the same time cook.

just my observation but i'm sure others will chime in.

QandHacksAllDay
04-06-2015, 03:49 PM
I got my pbc in February and have done 5 cooks on it so far. As was mentioned, it does take a run or two to get the hang of.

I have been mixing in a little royal oak with KBB with really nice results. Full basket each time, but considering doing less next time for ribs or chicken.

Enjoy the new cooker!

Dauvis
04-06-2015, 04:47 PM
i generally use a full basket of kingsford blue in my PBC.

one thing i did notice with my last cook, i used kingsford competition and the temp was significantly higher than the blue. using noah's instructions you cook by time and the last batch of ribs were over done and dry using competition briquettes over KBB for the same time cook.

just my observation but i'm sure others will chime in.

The PBC was designed for KBB but you can use anything it really. However, like all of the other cookers and smokers, you still have to cook by feel and not time or temperature.

flyingbassman5
04-06-2015, 05:23 PM
To start, go with a full basket and snuff out with tin foil over the holes if there is a lot of charcoal left. After the first few cooks of doing that you will be come a better judge at how much charcoal is required for different lengths of cooks. Using Stubbs I get about a full 10 hours of solid cook time with the basket filled. So in my backyard, half a basket is plenty for doing ribs or chicken in 3 or 4 hours. YMMV.

Irrivirsible
04-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Don't remember where I saw it but someone bought one of these and said the PBC charcoal basket fit inside and he put the lid on after and it snuffs out the fire. I bought one myself but haven't cooked since.

http://www.behrensmfg.com/products/storage-and-trash-cans/10-gallon-locking-lid-can/

QandHacksAllDay
04-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Don't remember where I saw it but someone bought one of these and said the PBC charcoal basket fit inside and he put the lid on after and it snuffs out the fire. I bought one myself but haven't cooked since.

http://www.behrensmfg.com/products/storage-and-trash-cans/10-gallon-locking-lid-can/

Don't know why I didn't think of that. Great idea. I will be doing that when I am done next time.

snapper-G
04-09-2015, 02:00 PM
PBC has a Youtube channel that helps you along. They demonstrate many items. BallisticBBQ also has many videos on Youtube of his PBC experiments. I'm a new PBC'er also so these have helped.

QandHacksAllDay
04-09-2015, 06:39 PM
I'll be doing my first brisket on the PBC on Saturday. Should be interesting and hopefully delicous. May do a rack ribs to in the event i screw up the brisket.

Irrivirsible
04-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Amazing Ribs forum has a section for PBC cooking.

Bob C Cue
04-10-2015, 10:28 AM
I'll be doing my first brisket on the PBC on Saturday. Should be interesting and hopefully delicous. May do a rack ribs to in the event i screw up the brisket.

Best of luck. There are two good videos on YouTube for PBC brisket. I have yet to cook a brisket on my PBC but will someday soon.

bbqbull
04-10-2015, 04:18 PM
There are several videos on Youtube ref; PBC.

QandHacksAllDay
04-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Best of luck. There are two good videos on YouTube for PBC brisket. I have yet to cook a brisket on my PBC but will someday soon.

We'll see how it goes. Picked up a 5.5 lb choice and a rack of st Louis cut. This thing is a beast with cranking out ribs, chicken and butt.