PDA

View Full Version : Sandblast seasoned UDS?

Mandfjourde
04-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Can I sandblast a seasoned UDS? I don't like how the paint turned out but figured I'd do the inside too to be safe since it just did a burn.

Will the media stick to the seasoned coat or blast it off?

thirdeye
04-06-2015, 11:03 AM
If you are happy that the burnout did a good job on the inside, I would leave that alone. Whoever does the blasting on the outside, tell them you want a light/medium but even profile (surface roughness). Primer is the important part and blasting is what really anchors the primer, so use a good hi-temp primer and take your time as any errors in the primer will show when you do the hi-temp top coat.

Mandfjourde
04-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks, it was a new barrel with a rust inhibitor. I did a burn along with the weed burner. For paint I did Rustoleum high heat primer and high heat grill paint but the paint feels almost rubbery. Upon a closer reading the grill paint states it is not to be used with primer so I think I need a different brand.

As far as the burn I would assume it's fine, I didn't polish it down shiny steel but just wire brushed out the inside a bit.

thirdeye
04-06-2015, 01:18 PM
You might want to look at the automotive hi-temp (2000) primer and paint, many grill paints are for touch-up.

Mandfjourde
04-06-2015, 02:20 PM
You might want to look at the automotive hi-temp (2000) primer and paint, many grill paints are for touch-up.

Thanks! Would that light/medium blast take off the seasoning too? Then I can just start over.

Fwismoker
04-06-2015, 02:46 PM
I got mine sandblasted and high heat powder coated for less than $100. Most places want to rip you off but if you search enough you'll find a good deal.

Mandfjourde
04-06-2015, 03:21 PM
I got mine sandblasted and high heat powder coated for less than $100. Most places want to rip you off but if you search enough you'll find a good deal.

I called a few places at lunch and found a guy who will do it for $25 - we got talking and it turns out he has a drum sitting that needs blasting too for his first smoker! We got talking and I think it will work out nicely. I'll try to update when it is done.

thirdeye
04-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks! Would that light/medium blast take off the seasoning too? Then I can just start over.

Yeah it would, and it would also open up to surface to moisture which could lead to rust. If your comfortable with the inside, let it be.

I called a few places at lunch and found a guy who will do it for $25 - we got talking and it turns out he has a drum sitting that needs blasting too for his first smoker! We got talking and I think it will work out nicely. I'll try to update when it is done.

Now you're talking, maybe wheel and deal for some Q.