PDA

View Full Version : Need help cooking brisket for next weekend

ClintHTX
03-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Need a brisket cooked Easter sunday by noon. Just built a new stick burner and I want to use it. Should I stay up all night feeding the fire or is it possible to cook it Saturday and reheat Sunday. What do you guys think? Will it be just as good reheating?

Ol'Joe
03-29-2015, 06:26 PM
I'd say cook on Sat., wrap it good and reheat slowly on Sun.

ClintHTX
03-29-2015, 06:35 PM
I'd say cook on Sat., wrap it good and reheat slowly on Sun.

How does one do such a thing?

ClintHTX
03-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Bump

smoke ninja
03-29-2015, 09:05 PM
When I want brisket early like that I do my hot & slow method. 275+ for 4-6 hrs on your stick burner than wrap in paper. Time it so you wrap just before bed. Pop it in the oven while you sleep real low, maybe 200 Or a bit hotter if it's behind. You can have it done around 7 or 8 and cooler it til lunch. I know folks are against ovens but it works.

Clay-b-que
03-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Some of the best brisket I have ever had was kent blacks in San Marcos Texas last month. It was incredible! They smoke their briskets for 8 hours then wrap it and let it rest for 2 days and then put it back on the smoke for 4 hours (I think) before serving. I am going to try this this summer. So smoke it in Thursday and try getting it back out Sunday morning. Like I said I haven't tried it but it was the best I have had. Good luck!

pjtexas1
03-29-2015, 09:59 PM
I would get up early and cook hot and fast.

oldbill
03-30-2015, 07:59 AM
When I want brisket early like that I do my hot & slow method. 275+ for 4-6 hrs on your stick burner than wrap in paper. Time it so you wrap just before bed. Pop it in the oven while you sleep real low, maybe 200 Or a bit hotter if it's behind. You can have it done around 7 or 8 and cooler it til lunch. I know folks are against ovens but it works.I've done something like this before when I got hit by really bad weather and it works out fine, once the brisket is wrapped it really doesn't matter where the rest of the cooking is done and an oven will work great.:grin:
P.S. If you like to wrap in foil, be sure and let it vent for a while before you cooler the brisket. Let the IT come down to the 160 range, re-seal the foil and then stow it away in your cooler with some towels or newspaper.:wink:

ClintHTX
03-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Planned on wrapping with butcher paper. Will that still suffice in the oven just like the foil?

oldbill
03-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Planned on wrapping with butcher paper. Will that still suffice in the oven just like the foil?Yep, I'd just lay the wrapped brisket in a pan so that there isn't any danger pf drippings leaking into the oven, otherwise you're good to go.:wink:

Bludawg
03-30-2015, 10:03 AM
BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn«t *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don«t ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won«t dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag