PDA

View Full Version : Replacement gasket for Primo XL

smokemonster
03-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Looking for suggestions on the best gasket replacement for my Primo XL. Melted mine cooking pizzas a couple weeks ago. Been reading about Nomex not adhering properly, and Rutland not being food safe because of fiberglass??? Maybe I should just tell my wife it's going to keep melting unless I buy a Blackstone Pizza Oven :becky:

smoke ninja
03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
16 Adams just replaced one. Check with him.

cjs27410
03-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Primo Grill Forum - Brian sells 14' of Cotronics 397 gasket for around 22 bucks delivered. There is a link for gadgets and gaskets on the forum.

16Adams
03-27-2015, 12:56 PM
It's pretty amazing across the Naked Whiz and all the various specific ceramic cookers forums how controversial gasket replacemnt can get. I never do super high heat in my Primo and I'm on my third lower gasket in two years the upper gasket is fine replacemnt is a 30/30 job. 30 minutes and 30 bucks for a large BGE gasket. Prep the surface per instructions. I put a really thin layer of HI Heat 500 degree restaurant grade food/water safe RTV 6500. Let it get tacky. Lay the gasket and let it cure for a few days before using cooker. I use my PBC and grate for multiple pizza cooks on the one occasion I did that. Amarillo has several brick oven pizza joints and we prefer theirs over ours :-((

You can see in this picture some of the old RTV6500. It's a smear, not a gunk. It's barely on the edge not over the heat. Whiz says he/she Ok with it cured and in this location. Read the MSDS and make a decision

I'm going to try the Primo site mentioned above next time. Mine don't "burn" out but get really wet from slow smokes.

Drunk Monkey
03-27-2015, 01:52 PM
I went with Rutlands, hasn't killed me yet. I also do my best to avoid cooking the food on the gasket when ever possible.

Big Kahuna
03-27-2015, 02:04 PM
This is the one I used on my PRIMO, http://amzn.com/B004MNW1TE. Come June it will be one year old and still looks amazing. I made sure the ceramic was clean as much as possible and only used the self adhesive that is applied to the gasket. I have had no loss of adhesion anywhere. I would definitely buy this gasket again.

16Adams
03-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Here is photo of top gasket- it's the original that came on the cooker. Looks like the HighTemp copper RTV.

16Adams
03-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Another view

Big Kahuna
03-27-2015, 02:27 PM
I've done a couple of high heat cooks, 500 - 600 degs with no loss of adhesion. I think if if your base is good and clean you will not have a problem. Go for a couple of low and slow cooks to set the adhesive and then I think you are good to go. If you want I can try a take a couple of pictures so you can see what it looks like after almost one year of solid use.

16Adams
03-27-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm going your Amazon rec next time. Probably order and have it on hand. I do mostly longer smoking baking cooks so I get a lot of moisture on bottom gasket. It's easy prep and change out. Prep and cleaning is utmost importance

Wickedcajun
03-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I've yet to change mine... but Cajun Ty has changed his using the Costronics gasket

Riskyguy
03-27-2015, 10:36 PM
The Rutland gasket is great and should last forever.