PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Smoker Grate Temp Differential

doug93003
03-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Recently I've noticed a larger than normal temperature differential in my Humphreys Battle Box. With all three racks loaded with ribs the top grate will finish long before the bottom grate. I know I can move them around during the cook, but is there any other remedy?

luv2smoke
03-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Are you implying the temperature differential just started recently from the bottom to the top or is it you just discovered it?

hedge
03-26-2015, 02:34 PM
That's the case in most vertical smokers.

frog13
03-26-2015, 03:03 PM
That's the case in most vertical smokers. :thumb: Thermodynamics ..... heat rises and he colder air settles to the bottom. Check a room in your house someday with an instant read on the floor, then the ceiling. Same principle. One way to beat it would be to figure out a method to evenly circulate the air. Another way would be to be aware of the situation and rotate the cook accordingly. I chose the latter ..... :mrgreen:

pjtexas1
03-26-2015, 04:08 PM
That is pretty much how reverse flow insulated cabinets work. My top rack is 15-20 degrees hotter than the 2nd but after that they are all within 2-3 degrees of each other (6 racks). I don't use the top rack much.

hedge
03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
the top rack is a chicken cooking maching, btw

pjtexas1
03-26-2015, 04:31 PM
the top rack is a chicken cooking maching, btw

Yep! Just don't let it drip on anything.

wayne77
03-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Recently I've noticed a larger than normal temperature differential in my Humphreys Battle Box. With all three racks loaded with ribs the top grate will finish long before the bottom grate. I know I can move them around during the cook, but is there any other remedy?

Depending on how new/old your battle box is you may have the advanced air flow feature. It's on the inside back of the cooker. close that down a little and it will even out your temps some from top to bottom. You may have to play with it a little.