PDA

View Full Version : Tractor or truck rim

zane2015
03-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Im looking for a rim that I can use for searing and other direct applications. Maybe something I can put a nice cast grate on. Problem is I don't know fark about rims that we are not driving on at the moment. What rims have a divided shallow and deep side. Im guessing the big number would be the lip diameter. Would the other in the description be the depth of the rim?

Hoss
03-24-2015, 07:33 PM
You should be able to find one in a junkyard.Big Rig truck or tractor rims.They come in All sizes.Just go to the scrapyard and look around til you see one that strikes your fancy.

cowgirl
03-24-2015, 07:37 PM
I use an old 8 or 9n ford tractor rim. It's 30" in diameter and about 11" deep.
Mines about 7 years old now and holding up just fine.

I use it on every camp out. It's easy for me to tip up on it's side and roll around to where I need it.

Not sure if you're interested but here are a couple pics if you are...
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/04/my-tractor-rim-fire-ring.html

there are more pics here on the Brethren.

Good luck!

CountryBoyQ
03-24-2015, 08:26 PM
I built on out of a 24" big truck rim, it works really good. I will try to get some pictures for you, but it will probably be this weekend before I can. It is at my camp on the river, close to where I live, problem is the river is flooded and over the bank right now. Hopefully it will be down some by the weekend and I can go down there.

Bludawg
03-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Check with Truck stop tire shops and Truck tire road svc providers they usually have a few bent ones around a new steel rim is about 80.00 torch out the hub

Randy3269
03-24-2015, 09:35 PM
An old 22" split rim will hold the weber 22" grate and lid perfectly. Ask around some older truck stops. The wheels are no longer used. They proved to be real dangerous to air up.

retired trucker
03-24-2015, 11:21 PM
You can find a lot of the old split rims on the container trailers. Check a container yard and ask around for an old bent one. They should have a few as they are really abused in use by the truckers that haul containers.

Omar