PDA

View Full Version : reverse flow help

T-doh
03-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Hey guys, been awhile since I've been on, last year I built a standard offset out of a 100 lb propane tank, love my offset, over winter my homemade hinges failed and so I stopped using her. Anyhow, I'm considering converting it to a reverse flow, just had a couple questions bout the plate. I measured it earlier and figure it will sit about 3 1/4 off the bottom and run about 36 inches long.. Just wondering if that 3 1/4 is enough clearance to get a good draft and not cause problems... Don't wanna cut up my pit and have it not work out... Thanks in advance!

dwfisk
03-24-2015, 07:04 PM
How much room does that leave up to your first cooking grate?

In my experience as long as you can get 4-6 inches in between the RF plate and the first cooking grate you will be good. As long as you can get that, I would raise it up as much as you can (more volume = better air flow) and still maintain that separation. Just my $0.02.

T-doh
03-24-2015, 07:28 PM
So that would leave me right at 3 inches between rf plate and my cooking grate, its a pretty small diameter tank... Is that enough room or would I be better off not messing with it?

dwfisk
03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
So that would leave me right at 3 inches between rf plate and my cooking grate, its a pretty small diameter tank... Is that enough room or would I be better off not messing with it?

Confession: I'm a devoted RF guy! Sooooo . . . I would go for it, even with only 3 inches separation between the RF plate & cooking grate. On smaller cookers I've seen folks successfully go with thinner RF plates or baffles (1/16-1/8 inch) but you might want to go a lttle thicker on the RF plate (maybe 1/4 inch) just to assure even heat distribution.

T-doh
03-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks, i was planning on 1/4 inch... Guess I got some work to do now!

voidecho
03-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Sorry for the thread derail, but Fisher? Nice, went to PBL just up the road.

T-doh
03-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Lol yep good ol Fisher Bunnie here. Grew up here now raisin my family here.

voidecho
03-24-2015, 09:00 PM
I wasnt going to mention the "Bunnies", but now that you did. :)

Well, hello from another central Illinois boy who fled to better weather.