PDA

View Full Version : Briquets vs only wood

tcv21
03-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Looking for your experiences please. I have graduated over the last couple of years to a stick burner. I have seen people use briquets in their smokers with wood on top for that smoke flavor. I personally use wood with nothing else. I have no issues maintaining temp. So, what do you use? Pro's and cons for your method. Thanks in advance!

oldbill
03-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Well I start with some lump for a quicker coal bed but then I use wood for the actual cook. I don't like briquettes because they don't burn as hot as lump and they leave a thick ash behind. If you're already using wood only that's great, your offset is a stick burner and you're feeding her what she needs.:thumb:
P.S. This is something that I keep on file for anyone that can use it, this fire building method can be tweaked to fit pretty much any size offset. My pit is fairly large in comparison to most (especially the mass produced box store pits), so instead of using an entire bag of lump (1/2 lit, 1/2 unlit) you may only want to use a chimney of lit coals and smaller splits than I do to start with.
STARTING AND MAINTAINING A FIRE IN AN OFFSET SMOKER
The best way to run your offset is to build a good, hot wood fire and to develop a thick bed of coals to thoroughly heat the pit. With this method it takes a little time initially to get the pit ready for cooking but it will be well worth it as the cook will be a LOT easier for the pit master. It's important to note that you should leave the exhaust damper wide open and adjust the temps with your intake damper. Here's my fire building method...
Open the doors and all of the dampers to the pit. Start with an 8 to 10 lb bag of LUMP charcoal, filling a chimney with about half to light and pour the rest into the firebox. When your chimney is thoroughly lit, pour the lit coals on to the mound of unlit coals in the firebox, put a couple of wood splits on top and allow them to burn down to begin generating more coals. When the wood splits have fully ignited and are ashed over, shut the doors and leave the dampers fully open to allow plenty of draft as the pit heats up.
Once the temp climbs to about 25 degrees or so above where you want to cook at, begin adjusting down on the intake damper until you have dialed in your cooking temp and then once the first two splits have sufficiently burned down to coals add another wood split to begin a routine of a split every 45 minutes to an hour. This way you are constantly adding to the coal bed and your temps are staying pretty much consistent. As long as you add your splits when they are needed your pit will practically run itself and though there will be SOME fluctuation in temps when opening the firebox door and when the newly added split catches on, the pit will recover very quickly, you'll be cooking in a ZONE.
If you want to cook at 275 for instance, work to maintain a zone of 50 degrees and maintain the temp in an area between 250 and 300. The temp will fall to between 250 and 275 when the pit is ready for another split and then the temp will rise to between 275 and 300 as the split ignites but eventually the temp will settle in to the 275 that you have the intake damper set for. Again, as long as you're adding your splits regularly your pit will pretty much be on auto pilot and you'll never have to worry about losing your temps or dirty smoke.:wink:
P.S. Again, it's important to make all temp adjustments with your INTAKE damper only, the exhaust should remain wide open throughout the cook.

okiej
03-19-2015, 10:35 PM
I have a small offset. I start with a chimney of KBB and a stick on top to get a bed of coals . After that it's wood only. I have to cut a lot of splits in half as they are to long for my small firebox. I used charcoal for years and recently switched to all wood. I will never go back to mostly charcoal. Once you learn to keep a clean fire and feed the beast regularly the wood gives better flavor and maybe cheaper. It takes a lot of charcoal to power a cheap offset. If I want an easy day I use the OTG and a snake of coals. Otherwise it's sticks and beer!

BigBobBQ
03-20-2015, 12:16 AM
I cheat as well and I start with a chimney of KBB and a stick on top to get a bed of coals . After that it's wood only.