PDA

View Full Version : Silicone mats in the smoker

vraknari
03-19-2015, 01:22 PM
The smoker I'm looking to purchase has shelves made of expanded metal. All I see is a pain the butt when it comes to cleaning up after a cook.

Would using a silicone mat like Amazon.com: Artisan (2 pk.) Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Set, 16 5/8 x 11: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31yOuKoSkwL.@@AMEPARAM@@31yOuKoSkwL cause any problems such as lowered smoke absorption in food or longer cooking times?

Thanks.

Sausage Warrior
03-19-2015, 01:31 PM
At smoking temps no worries!

frog13
03-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Shouldn't be an issue up to 500 degrees F. They also make mesh silicone, it's what many use. Here is my source, you can also find these in many other places ......

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=46

vraknari
03-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Good to know. Thanks!!

THoey1963
03-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Isn't it like a CI pan? Once you get a nice built up, things won't stick to it?

SteveKing
03-19-2015, 02:31 PM
You'll want what Frog13 recommended. Depending what you are cooking on those Silpat could negatively affect the airflow in your cooker

vraknari
03-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Isn't it like a CI pan? Once you get a nice built up, things won't stick to it?

But even with CI, you still have to brush away anything left over in it, you can't just leave it alone once you're done cooking in it.

Now imagine 3 shelves of expanded metal that you have to get in, and around to make sure nothing sticks to it and that it's relatively clean :shocked:

I'd lose my mind...

muidaq
03-19-2015, 06:08 PM
I love my silicone mats for many things, but would never use them in the smoker. They will be unusable for baking unless you want some brisket after taste. Plus the meat's texture that sits on it will be slimy.

I had expanded metal grates in my stumps and they were no big deal to handle. Remember, you're not cleaning them, you're seasoning them and knocking off the extra.

pwa
03-19-2015, 07:40 PM
I would think the matts would cause airflow problems, the frog mats are good I use them for fish, but honestly it takes just a minute or 2 to clean the expanded metal with a good brush.

Clint

Demosthenes9
03-20-2015, 02:15 AM
The matts would affect the airflow, would inhibit the smoke penetration where they come in contact with the meat and would cause drippings to pool up only to run off the edge and still make a mess.

Some people around here will smoke butts in disposable aluminum half pans. Would still have the first 2 issues, but it would keep things much cleaner.

JackW
03-20-2015, 08:20 AM
I found a small hose nozzle at Home Depot called little big shot. It will adjust to shoot a powerful jet of water, I use it to blow off my expanded metal grates. Only takes a minute.

Jack

Ribeye Republic
03-20-2015, 08:45 AM
The matts would affect the airflow, would inhibit the smoke penetration where they come in contact with the meat and would cause drippings to pool up only to run off the edge and still make a mess.

Some people around here will smoke butts in disposable aluminum half pans. Would still have the first 2 issues, but it would keep things much cleaner.

These are all of the reasons, I would never use them. Get the smoker hot and it takes very little effort to clean the grates.

Bbq Bubba
03-22-2015, 10:21 AM
You want to bbq without making a mess?

Maybe you should stick to baking.

vraknari
03-22-2015, 01:34 PM
You want to bbq without making a mess?

Maybe you should stick to baking.

Nahhh, that entails measuring which I hate more than having to clean up a BBQ mess. But thanks for the input.

Bbq Bubba
03-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Honestly, If you season the grates and smoker before using your grates will become almost non stick. A light brushing is the worst you should ever need. ;)

vraknari
03-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Honestly, If you season the grates and smoker before using your grates will become almost non stick. A light brushing is the worst you should ever need. ;)

That seems to be the prevailing attitude - treat it like CI, brush off the large particles, but keep the goodness on for the non stick.
This will save me huge on the stainless steel racks, which I like more than I dislike cleaning :clap: