PDA

View Full Version : Uds high temp troubles

Chieff55
03-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Hello any UDS pros. I have had mine for about 2 years and love it. Last year i built a second drum, ant added the weber dome lid. i also added a dome lid to my original drum. My problem is that I am having trouble keeping my temps down since I changed the lid. After I get it up to temp it seems to run off. I have 3 intakes, two 3/4 inch pipes and one 1 inch ball valve. I have the pipes closed and the balve 1/8 open. the temp just seems to keep riseing. I have to shut everything down and try to catch it before it goes out. I dont know if I have too large a fire or if I need more than the original weber vents in the lid.

Sorry to ramble on, any help would be great. about ready to go back to flat lid. Thanks

ebijack
03-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Sounds like your lids are leaking heavily, as long as your intakes are not leaking. Which from what you mention they are not. Try using aluminum foil around the top of the drum to see if that seals it up. If so, there is an easy fix.

TexasRT
03-18-2015, 07:31 PM
As mentioned above the lids must be leaking. One option is to order some self adhesive high heat gasket material. I put it on my drums and even my Webers. Stuff works great, just clean the surface real good before applying.

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/index.html

Nuco59
03-18-2015, 09:29 PM
I'd say,IF the only thing that changed is the lids then it must be the lids. You did not indicate what your upper limit was- you just said "keeps rising". Topping out at what temp? If it's around 300, I'd say congrats and suggest you learn how to cook hot and fast (welcome to the Dark Side)
If you like the lower temps and the flat tops worked well ( and you are not dead set on running 2 racks) I'd go back to the flat, tight top and one rack and call it a day. You can jury rig some sort of seal on the dome lids- I just don't know it's worth the bother.

Old Smoke
03-18-2015, 09:40 PM
As mentioned above the lids must be leaking. One option is to order some self adhesive high heat gasket material. I put it on my drums and even my Webers. Stuff works great, just clean the surface real good before applying.

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/index.html

Thanks for the info/link.
I need to redo my UDS lid for a better seal.
I've been looking for "food grade" gasket material...

Chieff55
03-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Thanks again to all. I agree that it sounds like a lid problem. I tried to use some high temp sealer,but it looks like I need some gasket material also. I will get them seales properly and try again. Thank you all again.

T.R.
03-19-2015, 01:29 PM
If your lid turns out to be sealing OK, try lighting less charcoal at the beginning of the cook. My UDS (if I ever get it back from my son) has a Weber lid and I find that starting with about 1/2 chimney of well lit lump works well. It's real easy to catch the temp on the way up, instead of having to try and cool the pit down after the temp has gotten out of control. Just my .02.

aawa
03-19-2015, 02:54 PM
What are the exact steps you have starting your UDS? How many lit coals do you use to get it started?

Also how many exhaust vents did you have on your flat lid? It could be you have better drafting through the Weber lid than you do with the flat lid.

Bludawg
03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Just roll with it & eat sooner

Chieff55
03-19-2015, 10:47 PM
I do like eating sooner,but that means less refreshment. I only use about 8-10 pieces of charcoal in my chimney. I load fire basket bout half full for short cooks, and load it up pretty good for long cooks. My old flat lids just had the standard large and small bung holes in them. After the fire was going good I would usually block off half of large one and leave small one open. I was using rock lump the other day and had trouble keeping temp below 375-400

ebijack
03-20-2015, 05:36 AM
My old flat lids just had the standard large and small bung holes in them. After the fire was going good I would usually block off half of large one and leave small one open. I was using rock lump the other day and had trouble keeping temp below 375-400

That sounds like you had leaks at the intakes and were using the exhaust to help control your temps. Now with a leaking dome lid, you can not control your temps. You need to fix the intake leaks also.

Wampus
03-20-2015, 07:16 AM
From what you describe, you used to be able to manage temps fine with the flat lid, so all things being considered, if the only thing that changed is the lid, then that's got to be the difference, however, I agree with ebijack that from your last post, if you were choking down the exhaust to keep things in check then you may have always had a leak in your intakes too and now, with the (possibly) less tightly fitting lid, it's running away on you.

Did you weld your intakes or use mechanical clamps or something? Are you sure the caps are tight on the two 3/4" pipes? I'm assuming the drum is well seasoned?

My drum has a Weber kettle lid. I have always run with my standard Weber lid vent wide open and only manage my temps from my intakes. Even though my lid doesn't actually fit air tight to the top of my drum, managing airflow from my intakes still allows me to control temps very well, but I welded my intake pipe nipples in place and I know they're air tight.

I guess the first thing I'd do to check is to put some foil between the lid and drum top like ebijack suggested and see if that makes a difference. If it DOES, then you know the problem is with that joint and you can go from there. If that doesn't help, you may have other issues.

Doog
03-20-2015, 10:18 PM
I had pretty much same problem. I used some gasket on UDS. Also windy conditions I will use the lid ring which pretty much seals the weber lid. That is also how I put my coals out when I am done cooking. Put the ring on and snug it up.

NotSoBigDan
03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
If your lid turns out to be sealing OK, try lighting less charcoal at the beginning of the cook. My UDS (if I ever get it back from my son) has a Weber lid and I find that starting with about 1/2 chimney of well lit lump works well. It's real easy to catch the temp on the way up, instead of having to try and cool the pit down after the temp has gotten out of control. Just my .02.

Same here. To the letter.

YetiDave
03-21-2015, 01:51 PM
I used stove rope to seal up mine

NotSoBigDan
03-21-2015, 01:53 PM

Same here. To the letter. Does that make it .04?

Chieff55
03-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all of the info. Will try a cook this week ,weather permitting. Going to make sure all inlets ar sealed,will foil the lid lip and start with less coals in chimney. I think I have small issues in each area adding up to run away temps. I will let u know how everything came out and post some pics. Thanks

Bob C Cue
03-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Buy a PBC! :-P