PDA

View Full Version : RUB: When do you put it on

Wampus
03-18-2015, 09:08 AM
I've seen a lot of people post about applying their rub a few hours ahead of time and letting the meat rest in the fridge with rub on.

In competitions, we always rub the big meats ahead of time and let them rest in the Cambro for several hours until time to put them on. I don't know why other than that's just what we've always done.

Just thought I'd put up a poll to see what people are doing....just because I'm curious.

If you care to explain WHY you do whatever you do that would be great.

daninnewjersey
03-18-2015, 09:10 AM
I put it on right before cooking. I do this because I am lazy....

Shagdog
03-18-2015, 09:11 AM
I will usually rub while the cooker is warming up, so the rubs sit on for maybe 30 minutes tops.

cpw
03-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Butts and briskets, the rubs go on a few to several hours beforehand. Chicken and Ribs about an hour before.

aawa
03-18-2015, 09:15 AM
I put the rub on, immediately fire up the pit, once the pit is up to temp I put the meat on.

So the rub is applied approx 30-45minutes before it goes onto the pit.

Wampus
03-18-2015, 09:19 AM
I also rub it shortly before I put it on, at least at home.
Like I said, comps are different, but for no reason other than consistency.

Personally, I see absolutely no benefit in rubbing the meat hours in advance. In fact, I think that, especially with ribs or chicken, the salt will create less than desirable results. I don't see how the rub actually penetrates the large cuts anyway. It's all really about "bark" I think.

deguerre
03-18-2015, 09:20 AM
As long as it takes to form a good pellicle.

Ribeye Republic
03-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Butts and briskets, the rubs go on a few to several hours beforehand. Chicken and Ribs about an hour before.

This, big meats several hours, chicken and ribs <1hr before. Don't want the ribs to cure and get "hammy".

pitbossJB
03-18-2015, 09:30 AM
I think the bark is better if it's put on right before the meat goes on the smoker.

toymaster
03-18-2015, 09:32 AM
At a contest, for ribs, I will put a light coat of rub on a few hours in advance and another light coat just before it goes on the smoker. At home, I put on the rub while the smoker is coming up to temp. Very slight difference (if any) but I give the nod to the contest prep (probably in my head because I'm in contest mode). Big meats get rub applied several hours in advance.

Wampus
03-18-2015, 09:37 AM
At a contest, I will put a light coat of rub on a few hours in advance and another light coat just before it goes on the smoker. At home, I put on the rub while the smoker is coming up to temp. Very slight difference (if any) but I give the nod to the contest prep (probably in my head because I'm in contest mode)

This.

There are SO many things that I never do at home, but we do every time at a comp. Not sure why.

I read some things here and think, "Well, that's silly. I would never do that." and then I realize that I just DID that exact thing at the contest the weekend before.

:laugh: Competition BBQ people are WEIRD. :laugh:

BigBobBQ
03-18-2015, 09:48 AM
It depends on what I am cooking, with ribs and chicken I usually rub a couple of hours before cooking, and with pork butts I try to rub the night before the cook.

Happy Hapgood
03-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I rub the ribs while the fire is getting right in the WSM. I want the meat as cold as possible when it goes on the smoker.

akoda
03-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Just before lighting the fire for ribs and chicken, a couple of hours on brisket or butts

cb25
03-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Most things I prep everything the night before, so rub goes on around 9pm whether I'm waking up at 2am or 6am to light the fire.

bbqwilly
03-18-2015, 10:09 AM
I rub the ribs while the smoker is coming up to temp. Usually 30-45 min. When I do butts I try to rub them down 2 days before. I hate that you don't get the flavor of the rub throughout the butt. Rubbing it 2 days before is basically marinating it.

MartinM
03-18-2015, 10:12 AM
It depends...
It depends on the cut of meat.
It depends on when I find out I'm cooking.

I prefer to prepare my meat the night before leaving an over night marinade in the fridge.
If my wife rolls in with some meat she got on sale... I let the rub sit while I get the cooker ready.

I use wet marinades a little different but hats not the question.

charrederhead
03-18-2015, 11:09 AM
My usual routine for butts/brisk is to remove it from fridge, go light the fire, make/apply rub, add meat when fire is ready.

While my last butt was cooking I decided next time I'm gonna just S&P it, smoke it for an hour or two, then rub it down, see what happens.

Wampus
03-18-2015, 11:20 AM
I rub the ribs while the smoker is coming up to temp. Usually 30-45 min. When I do butts I try to rub them down 2 days before. I hate that you don't get the flavor of the rub throughout the butt. Rubbing it 2 days before is basically marinating it.

2 days?

Do what you wanna do. I'm of the belief that if it works for you, then it's right.
I don't think there's any "right answer" in BBQ really.

Just a suggestion though.....if you want the flavor of the rub throughout the meat you CAN sprinkle on a little rub after pulling the butt and tossing it in.
I've been doing this for years. People often comment on how flavorful my pulled pork is and how the seasoning works its way into the meat so well.

.....I just don't usually tell them that I reseason after pulling. :wink:
I like to keep them thinking I'm some sort of BBQ wizard! :becky:

Wampus
03-18-2015, 11:24 AM
As long as it takes to form a good pellicle.

Interesting.

I would think that the pellicle would inhibit smoke penetration. Not so?
Or does the smoke "stick" to the pellicle?

Qbert60
03-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Comps:
- Big meats 4-6 hours before,
- Ribs 2 hours
- Chicken 6 hours

Home:
- Whenever.

THoey1963
03-18-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't do comps, so no idea. For home:

- Ribs I usually do before lighting the fire.
- Chicken some times the night before, sometimes right before.
- Butts and Briskets get done at least the night before.

1buckie
03-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Interesting.

Smoke sticks to everything !!!!

All the rub, all the fat, all the smoke, all the stuff, all the time......

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/2014/Pork%20%207-27-2014/Pork7-27-2014047.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/2014/Pork%20%207-27-2014/Pork7-27-2014085.jpg

I lightly rinse, score if it's that knd of piece, rub while coming to temp & go on......ribs, maybe let them sit a little while for the moisture to goo up the rub some...........

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/1st%202013%20chicken/Fathers%20Day%202013/FathersDay2013013.jpg

Soonerman71
03-18-2015, 01:06 PM
I typically rub everything just before firing up the smoker. I have rubbed the night before and it didn't seem to be any different to me, or the family. Usually they sit no more than an hour (regardless of meat type) and on the smoker they go.

Brisket73
03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
I rub and rest for 4-5 hours. My experience is if you go much longer you begin to cure the meat. This could change your texture IMO.

deguerre
03-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Interesting.

Adherence, yes. Mostly I just do an overnight in the fridge on a rack with beef. For ribs and butts an hour or so works out fine for me. The way I'm starting the smoker these days (Just lighting one starter cube directly in the coals) it takes about an hour for the fire to start and settle in for my desired temp, so I'll apply the rub, start the smoker, and that gives me plenty of time.

Bbq Bubba
03-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Interesting.

Smoke does not "penetrate" the meat. It only sits on the top of the surface.

Thus why its better to have a moist surface for it to stick to. :thumb:

Wampus
03-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Well, yeah, I get that it doesn't really penetrate it.
That smoke ring though....doesn't it get get past the outside layer a little?

Plus, I can smoke a whole chicken or turkey and then pull the skin off and eat some of the meat and taste the smoke.
Or can I?

.....NOT that I'm arguing with you Bubba. Just thinking as I type.

deguerre
03-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Hence, "adherence". :becky:

food4thot
03-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Generally an hour or less before throwing it on. Sometimes rub a light coat of olive oil on first to help the seasoning stick

voidecho
03-18-2015, 03:00 PM
I rub the ribs while the fire is getting right in the WSM. I want the meat as cold as possible when it goes on the smoker.

^This here. I'm usually rubbing right before I put the meat on, but if I put rub on before the pit is ready, the meat goes back in the fridge so it's super cold when it goes on the pit. Gotta absorb that smoke! :thumb:

Also, if I foil any of my meats, they get another generous dowsing of rub after I take them out of the foil.

THoey1963
03-18-2015, 03:17 PM
I do have to admit that part of the reason I rub big pieces of meat the night before is so I don't have to try to do it at an ungodly hour like 8 am... :wink:

Wickedcajun
03-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Usually the night before (or at least 4hours) for me... Kinda like a dry brining period...

1buckie
03-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Interesting.

Well, yeah, I get that it doesn't really penetrate it.
That smoke ring though....doesn't it get get past the outside layer a little?

Plus, I can smoke a whole chicken or turkey and then pull the skin off and eat some of the meat and taste the smoke.
Or can I?

.....NOT that I'm arguing with you Bubba. Just thinking as I type.

Hence, "adherence". :becky:

In an attempt to understand this a bit better (& still keep sort of to the topic)
....then something like this rib, which is basically "red" all the way thru, is not so much from smoke, but more from the heat & liquid exchange / Malliard reaction?

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Last%20Sunday%20April%202012/LasySundayApril2012012.jpg

I've had pork butts, under just the right curious conditions, be pink almost all the way to the core (cold, very cold startup, aged black walnut wood, slow running start for temp & maybe some other magical stuff)

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Jan29%20Danae%20%20dad%20002/Jan29Danaedad114.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Jan29%20Danae%20%20dad%20002/Jan29Danaedad112.jpg

The stuff in the front sat in the oven for awhile & was a bit dry, but when the last of 5 or 6 were pulled, the back portion looked like that....pink.....

tish
03-18-2015, 04:56 PM
I'm with THoey1963. With a butt, I try to have as much stuff as possible done the night before because I'm just too bleary-eyed first thing in the morning. Everything else, I rub right before I put it on the smoker.

Yendor
03-18-2015, 05:00 PM
If the rub doesn't have too much salt in it I will rub it the night before. If it is a salty rub it may get it 30 mins before as the cooker comes up to temp.

The rib rub I use doesn't have much salt so I let them sit overnight in the rub, dang delicious.

Wampus
03-18-2015, 07:16 PM
I do have to admit that part of the reason I rub big pieces of meat the night before is so I don't have to try to do it at an ungodly hour like 8 am... :wink:

Lately, I have been lighting the pit and putting stuff on around midnight so I don't have to get up real early. Love that guru. :thumb:

RevZiLLa
03-19-2015, 12:49 AM
I would not do small things like chicken thighs the night before. Now my BIG meat likes getting rubbed overnight

pmad
03-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Take out of fridge and put on rub.
Start smoker.
Put meat on an hour later.

Wampus
03-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Now my BIG meat likes getting rubbed overnight

It's a family website man. Keep it clean.
.....and BIG is a matter of opinion I'm sure. :heh::boxing::laugh:

dkbscm
03-19-2015, 08:04 AM
I put the rub on, immediately fire up the pit, once the pit is up to temp I put the meat on.

So the rub is applied approx 30-45minutes before it goes onto the pit.

Exactly

pjtexas1
03-19-2015, 08:19 AM
I start the fire and then rub. It gives me something to do while the pit is coming up to temp. Normally under an hour. Meat goes on cold, usually under 35 degrees.

oldbill
03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Generally what I do is start my fire and while a bed of coals is forming I go in and prep the meat. Once the meat is prepped and seasoned I go back out to check the fire, probably add a split and get the pit thoroughly heated, grates sterilized as well as adjust the intake for my cooking temp. Usually the pit is ready in about an hour and the meat has been seasoned for about 45 minutes before it goes on. Pretty much everything is done this way except for when I'm grilling steak.
With a thick steak (2") I like to do a dry brine a few hours ahead of time with some kosher salt, then the rest of the seasonings will go on during the cooking process along with some butter or rendered down beef fat (I save brisket trimmings for things like this). First I get a good sear on both sides, then move it to indirect heat, baste it with the butter or fat and then add my seasonings, leaving the steak in indirect heat and allowing it to come up slowly to a perfect medium rare.