PDA

View Full Version : How long do you let your pork butt rest?

husker3in4
03-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Once you wait for it to hit 200 or so for super tender pulled pork, how long do you let it rest before pulling? When you let it rest, do you cover it with foil or just tent it? Or leave it sitting on the counter uncovered?

Enrico Brandizzi
03-17-2015, 09:37 AM
All you said in this order:
Uncovered to slow down the IT to 170/180F
Then foiled/sealed and wrapped in blankets for 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours.

DetTigersFan
03-17-2015, 09:48 AM
For a butt I usually go a minimum of 45 minutes, but I prefer an hour to an hour and a half. For a bone in butt pull it off your cooker when the blade bone releases from the meat easily. 200* temp isn't necessarily what you need to look for alone, but it's a good ballpark figure.

Jason TQ
03-17-2015, 09:49 AM
There isn't a magic number for resting. At home I normally rest just because I like to get pork done ahead of time so I don't have to worry about pulling them right before serving. That can be anywhere from 30mins-4hrs.

But I have also pulled them right after taking them off the smoker. Still great.

husker3in4
03-17-2015, 10:03 AM
what does the foil and blankets do?

I have heard of the blanket wrapping and putting in cooler if you want to pull it and serve it a few hours later. but if I want to rest it and eat it, do I still need to do the blanket wrapping?

SteveKing
03-17-2015, 10:06 AM
but if I want to rest it and eat it, do I still need to do the blanket wrapping?

No, only do the blankets if you want to hold it for a while. That sucker will stay plenty for a while even just tented in foil

drjiveturkey
03-17-2015, 10:08 AM
I usually put it in a pot and rest till serving time (after I finish my sides). That can be anywhere between 30mins to a few hours. Most of the time I don't even pull it all at once. I just pull servings off at a time.

husker3in4
03-17-2015, 10:16 AM
So when you wanting to serve sooner than later, do most of you leave uncovered, tent or fully foil?

Bludawg
03-17-2015, 10:19 AM
About an hour or less if I'm hungry Provided you cooked it right there is really no need to let it continue to carry over cook for hrs in a cooler. I have at times, before I got my come-upins, made pork mush by holding for hrs after perfectly cooking a shoulder, Once that sunk in holding it became much less important. Now it is just long enough to eliminate the third degree burns from the meat being to hot to handle.

I vent the foil leaving it open and drain off the Liquid Pork Love and de-fat it in a fat separator so I can add it back to the pulled meat. This allows the bark to firm back up prior to pulling

wayne77
03-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Personally, I don't notice a difference if I rest or not. Maybe it's because I cook at 225 and it takes so long. I rest based on what time I'm eating. If cooking for a group I plan to have it done early so I know it will be ready when people are ready to eat so I rest it up to 2 hours. I don't like to go longer. If it's just for the family, I eat it right off the smoker. That's when the bark is best imo.

1buckie
03-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Personal experience here is wrapped & held in a towel / cooler, it will level out thru the piece in terms of juices......the tenderness will be there right at the end of the cooking OK, but can change where some areas will be a little strange, not tough, just a little stringy & slightly different w/o the rest.....
With the resting (1-1/2 hrs. min. here) it's pretty well equaled out all the way.....

This is not for comps, you'd likely want to do it different there to preserve parts for slicing, etc.

Ron_L
03-17-2015, 11:21 AM
I prefer at least a two hour rest, but typically hold butts for 4-5 hours at a competition so I can put the ribs and chicken in the smoker.

husker3in4
03-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Ok, so i will use an hour as a baseline, but now the question is, to tent or not to tent? I would think if you leave uncovered that it would cool too quickly and not be as tender?

Wampus
03-17-2015, 01:55 PM
I usually rest it until I'm ready to pull it.

Sometimes that's wrapped in a pan on the counter, but usually it's in a Cambro or cooler for hours before I'm ready to pull and pan it up.

Wampus
03-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Ok, so i will use an hour as a baseline, but now the question is, to tent or not to tent? I would think if you leave uncovered that it would cool too quickly and not be as tender?

For me, the hotter the better, so I always keep it covered.
I just glove up with double cotton gloves and cover those with nitril gloves and pull away. I think the meat pulls better when it's hot.

Even if I'm planning on cooling the pulled meat for bagging later, I'll still pull it when it's hot and let it cool after.

BigBobBQ
03-17-2015, 11:32 PM
i try to rest it an hour before serving but sometimes that never happens..:grin:

retired trucker
03-18-2015, 12:01 AM
I would let it cool a bit uncovered, and then cover it until it is at least cool enough to handle without being burned in the process. The reason for cooling before covering is to allow the bark to harden up a bit before it is covered. Otherwise it will turn soft from the resulting steam/moisture. If I am real houngry and the gang is bellyaching about when it will be ready, then pull and eat when it comes off the smoker. Either way it will still be good.

Omar

Nuco59
03-18-2015, 07:40 AM
I rest it -loosely tented- on the stove 30 minutes to an hour.I have a pair of those black nylon claws- but still have to use a hand to get the fatty bits sorted out now and again. I like for it to be cool enough I don't suffer 2nd degree burns on my digits :)

IamMadMan
03-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Once you wait for it to hit 200 or so for super tender pulled pork, how long do you let it rest before pulling? When you let it rest, do you cover it with foil or just tent it? Or leave it sitting on the counter uncovered?

I don't judge for being done by temp, when the bone wiggles like a loose tooth it's done. Temperature should be used as a guide as to when to start testing for being done... I have had butts done as low as 187 and other at 200 or above.

However, when they are done I'll let them cool down slightly before I wrap and put in the cooler. Once in the cooler I prefer a two hour rest, sometimes more.

The rest is the final stage in connective tissue breakdown which makes the pork very tender, juicy, and flavorful. Always calculate your resting time into the cooking equation.

Nhfefx
03-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Here is what I do at home when folks are coming over
Pull it off when you think it close to done
if it isn't already wrapped in foil - wrap it
then wrap in towel and place in cooler or just place in Cambro
let it rest 2-4 hours (at least 2)
unwrap / open let it sit on counter for 15 min
pull
place in pan / flavor if you want
eat it or cover with foil hold in oven at 160 for up to 30 min

NickTheGreat
03-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Tent for an hour or so.

But . . . I never have that kind of time. I left uncovered for 20 or 30 minutes Sunday night, and it pulled well! Oddly enough, the IT was only about 182F and it probed tender.

Ribeye Republic
03-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Rest in the cambro for at least 1.5 hrs.