PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts on Lavatool Thermowand vs Thermopop?

vnmg331
03-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Needing a new thermometer........can't afford the revered thermopen. What about these two, they are in the same price point Thermowand or Thermopop?

Fwismoker
03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
I have a thermoworks therm similar in speed to the pop and also have the thermowand and i'll take the thermowand all day and twice on Tuesdays. It's very fast, accurate, folds like the thermopen, lifetime warranty and the fridge magnet is very nice to have.

Shagdog
03-16-2015, 12:44 PM
I love my thermapop..

Thermapen & ThermoPop vs Lavatools Thermowand - YouTube

LYU370
03-16-2015, 01:10 PM
^^^^^ I'll grab either my thermapen or thermopop, depends which one is handier. But I hate waiting that extra second for the thermopop. :-P

pjtexas1
03-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Thermopop. I have had mine over a year and it still works great. Not as fast as my Thermapen but still pretty quick.

drumdawg67
03-16-2015, 01:58 PM
+1 on Thermopop!

bacchus99
03-16-2015, 02:11 PM
I have both a thermapop and thermowand. I think the pop is a little faster. Both work just fine.

MRQ
03-16-2015, 04:36 PM
ThermoPop would be the best option. Its faster, the display rotates, is backlit, and has a longer probe. With a Longer probe length your hand will stay farther away from the grill and you can work with the bigger thicker meats. In my opinion I really don't see the other device as a competitor to the Pop. I think Shagdogs posts really helps find the difference in the speed.*

One other point that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the service that ThermoWorks provide. They do it right by providing great service to backup their awesome products.*

Jaybls
03-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Consider probe length before you settle on a winner. Thermowand does not have a probe long enough to handle larger pieces of meat (only 2.5 inches). The short, foldaway probe that everyone likes would not be able to get to the center of a roast, or turkey. If it can't do that, it's worthless. Take a look at a comparison between the Thermapen and the Thermowand and keep in mind that the ThermoPop has the same size probe as the Thermapen.

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2015/03/short_probe_vs_long_probe3.jpg

SteveKing
03-16-2015, 04:42 PM
The video above is the reason I bought a Thermopop when they had that sale I posted up here a while back ($19). No way am I spending $96 on a Thermapen (they are currently on sale for $79 - St Pat Day green), when the Thermopop works only a little slower.

SteveKing
03-16-2015, 04:44 PM
http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2015/03/short_probe_vs_long_probe3.jpg

Anyone who has a roast cooking with gradation like that ain't doing it right. :wink:

But I totally agree. Their probe is too short

vnmg331
03-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Ok, I bought 2 thermopops..........one for a gift and one for myself.

Jifar
03-16-2015, 06:23 PM
I have both but use the thermopop a lot more. As mentioned above the length of the probe is too short on the thermowand. My thermopop also reads faster than the thermowand. I like the idea of having a foldable thermometer like the Thermapen but thermowand just doesn't perform as well as the thermopop.

1MoreFord
03-16-2015, 08:24 PM
I came along a bit late but Thermoworks also sells this one and while it won't measure as high as the Thermopop it reads plenty high for food.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

Just in case you need another one in the future.

ItalianScot
03-17-2015, 02:32 PM
I have a Thermopop and I use it multiple times a week. I've played with the Thermowand but the magnet wouldn't grip very well to most of the surfaces I tried. A clever idea but it just kept sliding down. Also, I worry about the probe length on the Thermowand and I just can't imagine how that body is waterproof (anyone else get that feeling?).

Soonerman71
03-17-2015, 03:13 PM
I have a Thermowand. Works fine for me. Probe is a little short, but until that becomes an issue for me, I can't complain.

ItalianScot
03-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Do you use the magnet? Is it working for you?

Decoy205
03-17-2015, 06:52 PM
I have a thermopop and use it all the time. I do want a thermapen though!

TexasRT
03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
I have two Thermowands, they work great. Fast and accurate.
I've never cooked anything that a second or two made any difference.

QandHacksAllDay
03-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Grey thermowand just came in from amazon today along with another bottle of dizzy dust. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Would like to pick up a thermapen at some point though.

Bensbites
03-17-2015, 10:40 PM
I have a Thermopen, if I had to do it again I would look at the maverick pt100

retired trucker
03-18-2015, 12:34 AM
My Thermowand works great, and is hanging on my fridge right now where I keep it all the time. No problem with the magnet holding if you have it on steel. The magnet is in the end, and not on the pivot area. I use mine for checking about everything, from internal food temp, to hot oil or grease in the frying pan. So far the length of the probe has not been a problem. Works fast enough for my use.

Omar

ItalianScot
03-18-2015, 12:22 PM
I've always been a little leery of the Maverick PT100, in part because of videos like this:

https://youtu.be/0SRlY1yvrOg

Is there a specific reason you're leaning that way, especially after using the Thermapen?

Fwismoker
03-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Anyone who has a roast cooking with gradation like that ain't doing it right. :wink:

But I totally agree. Their probe is too short
No issues at all with probe size, it's plenty long

SizzlingHot
03-18-2015, 03:09 PM
I have my cute ThermoPop and it travels with me when I go camping. I love the color choices, the length of the probe and the rotating display that's also backlit. My campstove dinners are usually in the dark so the backlight is huge for me! The length of the probe is also major because I do not like my thermometer touching my food to reach the center of whatever I'm cooking. Plus, it keeps my hand that much farther away from getting burned! Love my ThermoPop and bought one for pretty much everyone in my family since they're so affordable for how great they are. BTW, I also have the amazing Thermapen, which is from the same great company, but it's the non-backlit version so I only use that baby in my kitchen. They're both conversation pieces at BBQ's!

SteveKing
03-18-2015, 04:16 PM
For the price and performance of a thermopop I just can't see buying that lavatool knock-off.

Chauncy
03-18-2015, 05:29 PM
"what's the difference between you and I?"......."I'm not wearing Hockey Pads!"....Famous line from The Dark Knight......the thermowand is a pretender wearing hockey pads. If you want the true super hero buy the Thermapen. The Thermowand is a cheap Chinese knock-off. The only similarity to the Thermapen is that it folds out. The Thermowand is slow, inaccurate, and cumbersome. If you are wanting to save a few bucks buy the ThermoPop. I have a ThermoPop and a Thermapen. (thanks to my girl) Thermoworks always get great customer service reviews on here and other forums as well. You read about that Thermowand on amazon and they never get any help when they have an issue. That would be a huge red flag for me. Ya, you can save a few bucks, but why buy something you won't get the support on when it breaks and ruins your brisket. I bet they even tried to have a similar name to the Thermapen to confuse people. If you want to save some money, but want accuracy and a great warranty buy the Thermopop.

ChefTom
03-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Needing a new thermometer........can't afford the revered thermopen. What about these two, they are in the same price point Thermowand or Thermopop?
In my experience the Thermopop is faster and more versatile.

The Thermopop is generally a few seconds faster, critical in my line of work.

The short probe on the Thermowand makes it hard to get the probe into the food without burning the hair off my hand.

Save yourself the aggravation (and body hair) and get the Thermopop.

Fwismoker
03-19-2015, 08:59 AM
In my experience the Thermopop is faster and more versatile.

The Thermopop is generally a few seconds faster, critical in my line of work.

The short probe on the Thermowand makes it hard to get the probe into the food without burning the hair off my hand.

Save yourself the aggravation (and body hair) and get the Thermopop.I gotta ask, Why are you holding on to the probe itself?? Lol. I hold onto mine way up on the base which is about 6 -7" away from food.

This thread is getting deep with some stuff.

drjiveturkey
03-19-2015, 11:28 AM
I don't know much about the thermawand. But I have a thermapop and its great. The probe is long and the product is very precise. Though if I were you, I would just splurge on a thermapen. I use the thermapen for BBQ and in the kitchen, and keep a thermapop in my tailgating kit to bring to games.

That extra few seconds come in handy when you are checking the temp of 3 dozen chicken pieces. Although I guess you could get 4 thermapops for the same price and save time.

ButtBurner
03-19-2015, 11:35 AM
I gotta ask, Why are you holding on to the probe itself?? Lol. I hold onto mine way up on the base which is about 6 -7" away from food.

he did not say he was holding the probe

I took his comment to mean that his hand is closer to the fire holding the pen than the pop when checking temps

I have a pop, it works just fine. and the cost is reasonable too

OpelGTMan
03-19-2015, 11:37 AM
The thermopop works just like the thermopen and makes my pocketbook heavier

SteveKing
03-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Directly comparing the two, the Thermopop is faster, more accurate, has a longer probe, wider temperature range, reportedly better customer service, backlit and rotatable screen.

The Thermowand folds, is smaller, and has a magent. It also has a Lifetime Waranty against "technical and firmware" problems (whatever that means, technical is ambiguous).

So essentially you have to weigh your options. As far as specs go I think the obvious winner is the Thermopop. Some people might want that Thermapen replica look with the folding probe though.

It's up to you, brother :thumb:

Fwismoker
03-19-2015, 11:57 AM
he did not say he was holding the probe

I took his comment to mean that his hand is closer to the fire holding the pen than the pop when checking temps

OK, no matter but still makes no sense to me to say you'd burn your hairs on your knuckles having one probe a inch or less as long.

People can like and buy what they want it's just the exaggerations are getting big...just like the magnet not being strong. The magnet on the wand is very strong...much stronger than most any fridge magnet.

ChefTom
03-19-2015, 04:45 PM
I gotta ask, Why are you holding on to the probe itself?? Lol. I hold onto mine way up on the base which is about 6 -7" away from food.

Ha.

Yeah, to clarify I'm holding the plastic portion of the thermometer, but the short probe on the Thermowand means my hand is closer to the heat.

ButtBurner
03-19-2015, 04:53 PM
OK, no matter but still makes no sense to me to say you'd burn your hairs on your knuckles having one probe a inch or less as long.

People can like and buy what they want it's just the exaggerations are getting big...just like the magnet not being strong. The magnet on the wand is very strong...much stronger than most any fridge magnet.

:becky:
i dunno nuthin about no stinkin maggot