PDA

View Full Version : new smoker recommendation

packerfannate
03-15-2015, 09:32 PM
In the next few months I think I will be in the market for a new smoker. My budget will be in the $1000 - $1500 range. What do you recommend and why?

Ron_L
03-15-2015, 09:34 PM
How much do you want to cook?

Do you want to burn sticks, charcoal, pellets, etc.?

packerfannate
03-15-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't know what I want. I currently am using a UDS. Its been great but I am looking for something that is a little less work.

Ron_L
03-15-2015, 09:38 PM
A UDS is one of the lowest maintenance cookers out there. Maybe look at the insulated vertical style like a Backwoods or Humphreys. They are pretty much set and forget. Or, a pellet cooker. Even more set and forget.

Richard_
03-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Yoder makes an excellent pellet cooker in your price range , YS640 is $1400 , I personally own a Traeger and love how easy it is to cook with .

pjtexas1
03-15-2015, 09:45 PM
I don't know what I want. I currently am using a UDS. Its been great but I am looking for something that is a little less work.

That's gonna be tough. The UDS is pretty simple to run. Maybe a small insulated cabinet with an ATC? Pellet cookers are easier but that depends on how much smoke you like.

Richard_
03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
That's gonna be tough. The UDS is pretty simple to run. Maybe a small insulated cabinet with an ATC? Pellet cookers are easier but that depends on how much smoke you like.

You can get some pretty good smoke with a pellet cooker once you learn how to cook with them , not stick burner good , but good enough for most !

Rusty Kettle
03-15-2015, 09:58 PM
I don't know what your needs are so it depends really what you want to achieve. If it were my choice for me I would go with a kamado grill. I love mine. It is perfect for pennsylvania but no idea what Utah is like so depends on the weather to. Kamado grills are once you get it warmed up and to temp set and forget. They will sit on temps perfectly. I hear everyone likes kamado joe but I personally own a vision grill but customer service is bad so yeah get a better one as they are well within your budget. Also big green eggs are supposed to be good but are pricey. Although they have Eggtoberfest. Who wouldn't want to go to Eggtoberfest?

bbqwizard
03-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Pellet cooker are great! I also like insulated cookers...oh heck I like them all! Now, with that said, I currently have two pellet cookers (although one is for sale), a new Assassin gravity cooker, and a Kamado. I don't think you will go wrong with any of them.

Red Valley BBQ
03-15-2015, 11:04 PM
270 Smoker. Fully insulated vertical cabinet smoker. I have one and will be getting two more hopefully soon.

bosco0633
03-16-2015, 05:58 AM
Get a Kamado. Versatile cooker and easy to use. Easy to clean and you can grill, smoke and sear all on one grill. Kamado joe is the brand that I would recommend. Top warranty and customer support and innovative technology to set them apart from the rest!

16Adams
03-16-2015, 06:10 AM
Primo Oval XL fits your description. Here is a shot yesterday of grilling, smoking and baking at the same time. Kamado units are not for everyone, there are differences in each brands included accessories, available accessories, warranties, customer service reputation, etc etc.

Most people recommend what they use and are comfortable with. I have a stick but not the quality of a custom maker-so I'm mute on that.

Big Green Egg owners are fiercely loyal to their brand. Justifiably so.

TheCougarGuy
03-16-2015, 07:39 AM
I agree with 16Adams. You can't go wrong with a Primo Oval XL

aawa
03-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Keep the UDS and get a BBQ Guru/Stoker/Heatmeter/Auber.

UDS is a hands off cooker and even more hands off with a temperature controller.

Save yourself some money, get a temperature controllers like a HeatMeater, BBQ Guru, or Stoker and buy a ton of meat.

fingerlickin'
03-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Get either an XL BGE or a Primo Oval XL and if you want piece of mind on your temp settings an IQ110,120. Although not necessary once you master the vent settings.

I had an XL egg that I sold and it was extremely easy to cook with, set up and keep clean. I have a Vision Kamado now that is the size of a Large Egg and I miss the XL every time. Especially being able to fit either two half size foil pans or one full size foil pan on the grate. I hate messing with multiple racks as well, with the XL everything was just easier.

If you buy a large then you'll find yourself wanting to buy all the racks and accessories and that adds up quick. Get an XL and all you need is a platesetter and an ash tool.

Fat Cap
03-16-2015, 10:26 AM
I love my Treager Texas. Price range is about 1K. Great unit, set it and forget it. Customer service cant be beat.