PDA

View Full Version : Menu Help!

jeffreywp1
03-15-2015, 01:45 PM
I will be doing a benefit cook in May. Last year, I did pulled pork sandwiches and hot dogs served with a bag of chips and a drink. I don't know who the benefit is for this year but the event is at a marina next to a large lake. There is a bigger budget this year and they want to do something more/better than last year. I'm considering doing ribs along with the pulled pork. Maybe do some smoked almonds. I don't want to get into a lot of grilling to order. What would be some high impact low effort items to add to the menu?

DcMak
03-15-2015, 01:52 PM
id do pulled pork and some chicken 1/4's or halves ribs if money isnt an issue. BBQ beans are easy as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Bludawg
03-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Leg quarters cheap and good!! Really who don't like BBQ chicken besides a chicken, Side of Tater salad or Slaw, beans and a piece of cornbread. all them Yankee VFD's rake in a sizable fortune on that stuff

2001Heel
03-15-2015, 02:31 PM
I went to an event a few weeks ago and the guys did pulled pork and sliced brisket sandwiches. The brisket sandwiches were flying off the counter.

falconer
03-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Brisket. Burnt ends. Chicken thighs. Find them on sale for .99@lb. If brisket is too much work, maybe a tri-tip or two...

jeffreywp1
03-15-2015, 02:44 PM
I went to an event a few weeks ago and the guys did pulled pork and sliced brisket sandwiches. The brisket sandwiches were flying off the counter.

How well does brisket hold? I could smoke the pork the night before and smoke the brisket the day of.

Hoss
03-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Pulled pork and chicken Quarters is where the money is if the point is to raise money.A few sides.Bam.

food4thot
03-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Smoked tri-tip is "upscale" and very manageable. A crowd-pleaser if it fits in your allotted budget.

BDAABAT
03-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Beans are a great accompaniment, as is smoked Mac n cheese. Both are yummy as is, but when smoked, something magical happens (like everything else that's smoked!). In addition, both are fairly budget friendly, depending on how much meat you add. :mrgreen:

Another easy and budget friendly recommendation: For the large benefit cooks our Boy Scout troop does, corn is a huge favorite.

Bruce

Bludawg
03-15-2015, 05:26 PM
You could do some whole hams along with the chicken quarters that's how I'd roll with it.

Sausage Warrior
03-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Whole Hog brother - with pasta salad, beans, white bread and beer

zane2015
03-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Leg quarters cheap and good!! Really who don't like BBQ chicken besides a chicken, Side of Tater salad or Slaw, beans and a piece of cornbread. all them Yankee VFD's rake in a sizable fortune on that stuff

Yes we do Blu!! I'd do leg 1/4's and pulled butt with fixins. Beans, slaw and cornbread. Maybe ribs till they sell out. You don't want to be stuck with a big leftover rib inventory if the numbers don't match. Sides make the meal a meal!