PDA

View Full Version : Whole Turkey Breast-How?

Brontoburger
03-15-2015, 07:26 AM
My wife and amateur food critic brought home a whole bone-in turkey breast. Looks like a hot and fast deal to me. Any advice?

SteveKing
03-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I've never cooked a bone-in. I also remove the bone beforehand. But I've had pretty good luck cooking at about 325. It's been a while since I've done it so I honestly can't remember how long. I like to smoke mine with a CenTex style rub (2:1 black pepper to salt) and with oak wood.

WildeMan
03-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Treat it like a whole turkey, it will just be done alot faster. Keep the heat above 325 if you want the skin edible, I like a basic rub like SPOG with some classic poultry flavors like sage, rosemary, thyme, etc. I also prefer a wet rub, by mixing my seasonings with a roughly equal amount of EVOO, and i work it underneath the skin as well as on top and in the cavity. I don't let the temp go over 155, then let it rest until it rises to 160.

dadsr4
03-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Treat it like a whole turkey, it will just be done alot faster. Keep the heat above 325 if you want the skin edible, I like a basic rub like SPOG with some classic poultry flavors like sage, rosemary, thyme, etc. I also prefer a wet rub, by mixing my seasonings with a roughly equal amount of EVOO, and i work it underneath the skin as well as on top and in the cavity. I don't let the temp go over 155, then let it rest until it rises to 160.

It's that simple.

Nuco59
03-16-2015, 08:03 AM
Love the bone in Turkey breast. I run it on my mini-wsm @325. Internal temp to 155- pull and rest 15/25 minutes- let the temp coast up. (I don't tent it with foil- I like to keep the skin "non-rubbery". Normally rubbed with canola oil and SPOG, I have been known to do an injection of melted butter and garlic. It is more than "purdy danged good"

NickTheGreat
03-16-2015, 09:36 AM
I've only done one, but did the hot and fast. Took it off at 160 or so. Was still pretty juicy.

I wanted nice sandwich slices, but the bone foiled me. I got it out, but probably half of the meat was not big flat slices.

diggles
03-16-2015, 10:52 AM
I've done turkey breasts quite a bit since you end up with lots of meat that is great for sandwiches. I've brined them the last few times and they turned out great. I smoked mine lower than others have mentioned, 250-275. Still turned out juicy and had great flavor.

daninnewjersey
03-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Turkey breasts aren't too difficult. I oil them and season with salt and pepper. Brine doesn't seem to be necessary....at least for me. Cook around 300-325 to get the skin nice and crispy.....

fingerlickin'
03-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Normally I try and do poultry at over 300* but for Christmas I brined 2 bone in breasts and cooked them at 250* and I can honestly say it was the best farking turkey I ever had in my life. Did I say ever? I make turkey every year and people are still talking about this past years effort.

The skin wasn't edible but I don't eat it anyway, so I don't care.