PDA

View Full Version : Mojobricks in a gravity fed smoker?

bproffer
03-12-2015, 11:27 AM
I know many here use Mojobricks and like them. I am considering using them in my Assassin 28. I have not been too happy with the quality of the wood chunks I can buy at the big box stores, so I have been looking at Fruita Wood Chunks or possibly Mojobricks.

I have a few questions for those that may have used them in their gravity fed smoker. How did you like them? Did you put them in the ash pan or did you cut them up and mix them in with the charcoal n the chute? Do you prefer mojobricks to real wood chunks?

I havnt really compared the two cost wise, but from a quick glance, price seems comparable.

Thoughts?

Big_AL
03-12-2015, 12:57 PM
We use Mojobricks for all our comp meats as well as for backyard cooking. We believe the consistency of the product provides the best option to repeat our recipes time after time.

We've found that placing the bricks in the ash pan is optimal for smooth, long burn times.

PekingPorker
03-12-2015, 02:30 PM
I have used them in the ash pan in my Assassin, and they work well. I know a team that uses them pretty much exclusively in his gravity smoker and does very well.

For wood, you may want to check out Baxter's Original (http://www.baxtersoriginal.com). That's what we use, and they are running a special right now where you get a free 20lb box if you purchase 2 20lb boxes

"Purchase any 2 of our 20# boxes of chunks through the website www.baxtersoriginal.com and receive a 3rd box of equal or lesser value totally FREE - offer is good today through Sunday 03/15/2015 limit one offer per order"

mgp03051
03-12-2015, 04:07 PM
I use Mojobricks in my Humphrey's gravity feed and my UDS's. Place them in the ash pan of the gravity feed and on the heat deflector in my UDS's.. Very consistent smoke and burn time with Mojobricks . they take the guess work out of how many chunks and what size..

Ron_L
03-12-2015, 04:56 PM
I have used them in the ash pan in my Assassin, and they work well. I know a team that uses them pretty much exclusively in his gravity smoker and does very well.

For wood, you may want to check out Baxter's Original (http://www.baxtersoriginal.com). That's what we use, and they are running a special right now where you get a free 20lb box if you purchase 2 20lb boxes

"Purchase any 2 of our 20# boxes of chunks through the website www.baxtersoriginal.com and receive a 3rd box of equal or lesser value totally FREE - offer is good today through Sunday 03/15/2015 limit one offer per order"

This seemed to be a good deal until I calculated the shipping costs. $55.00 shipping! Holy cow!

bproffer
03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
This seemed to be a good deal until I calculated the shipping costs. $55.00 shipping! Holy cow!

Shipping for me would have been $58. Kills the good deal rather quickly. I get free shipping with Mojobricks. I am not sure how the Mojobricks compare to wood chunks volume wise, but I think I'd still be coming out ahead with the Mojobricks.

PekingPorker
03-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Yeah, shipping does kill on that much weight.

Mojo Bricks burn well, they just run out rather quickly for a long cook. Of course maybe I use too many, but you will get good smoke off of them.

Twisted Belly
03-12-2015, 09:32 PM
I used mojo bricks in my rebel 28 and it was perfect. in a comp, i would put 1 mojo brick in every time i put a new meat on 1 for brisket, 1 for pork, 1 for ribs 1 for chicken

bbqwizard
03-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Absolutely recommend using Mojobricks in your gravity cooker. I use them in my Assassin as well as my kamado Rocket, gasser, you name it! Very consistent, clean burn.

Happy Q'en,
Phillip

swamprb
03-13-2015, 05:58 AM
While I don't have a GF, I have been using Mojobricks for a few years now in my BGE's, WSM's, Backwoods, Drums and Cookshack 008 and I'm very pleased with them.

vladtech
09-08-2015, 03:37 PM
I just got an Assassin 28 smoker a couple weeks ago and the smoke profile is different from my WSM so I'm interested in trying the mojobricks. Which smoke flavors do you all use? I just ordered the mApple and the competition blend. And from what I read above, one brick should work fine for a couple of hours? Has anyone tried using more than one?

bbqwizard
09-09-2015, 12:44 AM
I just got an Assassin 28 smoker a couple weeks ago and the smoke profile is different from my WSM so I'm interested in trying the mojobricks. Which smoke flavors do you all use? I just ordered the mApple and the competition blend. And from what I read above, one brick should work fine for a couple of hours? Has anyone tried using more than one?

Can't go wrong! I like comp blend and cherry mostly, but mapple is really good too! I use 2-4 depending on the size of the cook.

grossepellets
09-29-2015, 06:42 AM
I used mojo bricks in my rebel 28 and it was perfect. in a comp, i would put 1 mojo brick in every time i put a new meat on 1 for brisket, 1 for pork, 1 for ribs 1 for chicken TB - are you using the medium size qube or the larger - mojoqube in that rebel?

:thumb: