PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in foil pans..Yay or Nay?

bproffer
03-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Who here smokes their meat in foil pans?

For those that do....why? Do you feel you get a better end product? Do you use a rack in the bottom of the pans to keep the meat off the pan itself? Other than no mess inside your smoker, what are the pro's?

Any con's? Do you notice a difference in the bark, smoke penetration?

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Just trying to expand my knowledge a bit here.

THoey1963
03-09-2015, 04:24 PM
The only time I pan now is butts and then I wait until they get the color I like (mahogany), and then I pan and foil them. Everyone has their own opinion on this. If you scroll down to the search bar below this post and enter "foil pan rack", it shows almost 800 posts... :eek:

IamMadMan
03-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Who here smokes their meat in foil pans?

For those that do....why? Do you feel you get a better end product? Do you use a rack in the bottom of the pans to keep the meat off the pan itself? Other than no mess inside your smoker, what are the pro's?

Any con's? Do you notice a difference in the bark, smoke penetration?

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Just trying to expand my knowledge a bit here.

I put pans under my shelves unless my smoker is full, then I use a rack inside the pan.

It keeps the smokers clean and there is no difference in smoke penetration or bark formation, but I also use shallow pans.

I like to save the juices from the meat and add back after de-fatting the liquids. Just my personal preference.

mikemci
03-09-2015, 04:31 PM
I usually cook briskets. I put them on the grate ( no pan ) until I like the color, usually about 4 hours. Then I put it in a foil pan, with a wire rack under it and finish cooking. The reason for this is that I am able to catch the juices. The rack maintains the bark and it is already smoked as much as it will ever be, after 4 hours on the grate.

Shinka
03-09-2015, 04:56 PM
I know I've placed cow shoulders in large pans in the past. Not exactly sure why ...maybe it was easier then trying to foil that hunk o meat.

pjtexas1
03-09-2015, 05:50 PM
I foil with a grate in the pan. My smoke and heat come from the top so the bottom of the meat doesn't get much color.

Jason TQ
03-09-2015, 06:09 PM
At home I'll cook butts and brisket in them a decent amount of the time. No different in smoke and the bark might be a little softer, but I'm not a bark fanatic. Also getting the end juices is a little easier in pans and those juices mixed back with the meat is magical.