PDA

View Full Version : summer sausage

nmeyer414
03-07-2015, 04:18 PM
ok, I need a little knowledge from some folks that really know what they are talking about when it comes to summer sausage.

I have a recipe for summer sausage that does not require casing.

can somebody please educate me on why/why not casing would be used for summer sausage please?!

here is the recipe that I use and a couple of pics.

ingredients:
- 2lbs 93/7 ground beef (you want very lean meat for this)
- 2tsp liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder (if you love garlic like I do, add more)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2tsp mustard seed
- 2 TBLSP Morton curing salt
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns (more if you prefer)
- 1-2 bottles of kitchen bouquet

directions:
1. mix all ingredients together except kitchen bouquet, place in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.

2. once a day you must remove mixture from the refrigerator and give it a good mixin and put back in the fridge.

3. after 3-5 days (no longer than 6) remove mixture from fridge and roll / form into logs (you may find that if you add just a wee bit of water to the mixture before you form it, they will form a lot easier)

4. brush a liberal coat of the kitchen bouquet all over each log and place into a 180-190deg F smoker.

5. place your thermometer onto sausage and smoke until you reach 165-170 deg F (approx. 6-8 hrs)

once they are complete and removed from the smoker, let cool, place in air tight bags and place into the freezer.

Big George's BBQ
03-07-2015, 05:15 PM
They look very good Please post how they taste

IamMadMan
03-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Just as you can buy link sausage or bulk sausage without a casing...
Simply put, the person who created the recipe may have not had a sausage stuffer, or they felt it was easier to form by hand rather than stuff.

The same is true with snack sticks, some call for a casing while others are squeezed out of a what looks like a caulking gun without the casing.

Some jerky recipes call for ground meat rather than sliced, and then rolled out and cut before drying.

It's all a matter of personal preference as to what works best for you..

Let us know how your endeavor turned out. They look really great.

Dusty
03-08-2015, 06:27 AM
This is how I make mine also. I like the bit of bark that it produces. Not sure how you formed yours, but a little tip for getting them all the same, is to form them into a turd, wrap in plastic wrap, hold the ends, and roll across the counter.
I just made some venison sausage Friday with Halepeno, and smoked cheddar. Very tasty.

Brian

ModelMaker
03-08-2015, 10:02 AM
I think the wife used a recipie like that but at the end packed in a Pringles can with both ends open. Looked and tasted pretty good.
Ed

nmeyer414
03-08-2015, 10:31 AM
and here is the results from yesterdays smoke.

Blythewood BBQ'er
03-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Looks great!