PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 or 1/2?

THoey1963
03-02-2015, 04:35 PM
I am flip flopping on whether I want / need to get the 1/2" upgrade on the LSG firebox. Not too concerned about it as far as controlling temps in cold weather, but more for the life of the firebox. It's $450 for the 1/2 inch, but would it pretty much last forever then?

Shagdog
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
I can't imagine ever wearing through 1/4" thick steel. That's farkin thick!

1/2" is that much more to heat, but once warm will stay warm longer.

I really don't know Terry. Why do you think you'd need the 1/2"? Just for durability? Personally, I'd probably just do the 1/4...

Ol'Joe
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm bettin' you can't wear out the 1/4, (unless you cookin everyday)

Smokin' Greene
03-02-2015, 04:46 PM
If you can swing it go 1/2" (it is an expensive upgrade), if not go 1/4" and add the ash pan. $95 bucks, easier to clean out, keeps hot coals off the bottom of the smoker, extra layer of protection where it is needed most.

THoey1963
03-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys. Probably over thinking it. Yeah, I was only thinking about it from a durability standpoint. My first smoker of this type, hell, first anything. Just want to make sure I don't have a rust bucket in 5 years...

Thanks, I did order the ash pan...

ssv3
03-02-2015, 05:21 PM
I can't imagine ever wearing through 1/4" thick steel. That's farkin thick!

1/2" is that much more to heat, but once warm will stay warm longer.

I really don't know Terry. Why do you think you'd need the 1/2"? Just for durability? Personally, I'd probably just do the 1/4...

This ^^

I'm bettin' you can't wear out the 1/4, (unless you cookin everyday)

This ^^

If you can swing it go 1/2" (it is an expensive upgrade), if not go 1/4" and add the ash pan. $95 bucks, easier to clean out, keeps hot coals off the bottom of the smoker, extra layer of protection where it is needed most.

And this ^^

IMO 1/2 is good for colder or windier climates for impoved heat retention. Like Shag said if it's only for durability it's not worth it. Very good point by Greene as well. I ordered the 1/4 pullout ash pan (solely for easier clean up which makes it effortless) and the bottom layer is 1/2" with the pan. As far as the top, if you're going to get oven (I can't remember) then that helps with heat retention as well. Plus Ol' Joe is right as I don't think you will wear out the firbox in your lifetime and just in case you do more of an excuse to get a new toy. :becky:

SGH
03-02-2015, 05:23 PM
I know everyone has a differnt opinion on such matters. Thus here is mine. The thicker the better. No question of it in my opinion. If you can afford it, the money you spend now will save you problems in the future. Once up to temp the thicker pits are more efficient than the thinner ones in my experience. Again this is just my preference but the thicker steel is the way to go.

THoey1963
03-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks Sako. I've backed off that ledge now. This thing is going to be pricey enough without adding that if I don't need it. Adding that would put it in the 4K range and I don't have to pay for shipping... :eek:

oldbill
03-02-2015, 05:41 PM
I chose the 1/2" box for a couple of reasons,...
1.) The thermal mass! Once that 1/2" plate heats up it's a lot easier to maintain temps in the rest of the pit, it also works in conjunction with my warmer/oven in keeping heat loss to a minimum, increasing efficiency and fuel economy. I'll recoup the money spent on the upgrade by saving on cooking wood expenses.:wink:
2.) Durability! It's hard to do but even 1/4" plate can warp with high heat and I've seen doors become hard to close and intake dampers become difficult to adjust,... my 1/2" box will never get hot enough for any of that to happen. There is also the corrosion factor to consider,... rust in the firebox is inevitable and I know that my great Grand-kids will be able to use my pit one day without having to replace the firebox on it.:-D

ssv3
03-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks Sako. I've backed off that ledge now. This thing is going to be pricey enough without adding that if I don't need it. Adding that would put it in the 4K range and I don't have to pay for shipping... :eek:

I feel ya! Those options add up quick plus it looks like the prices on some things and smokers have gone up slightly. I mean obviously it wouldn't hurt to have thicker metal like SGH said but the costs don't justify the need given where we live. No real advantage IMO.

pjtexas1
03-02-2015, 05:42 PM
My 3/16 firebox is probably 20 years old and it's fine. That being said i'm getting my SF with an insulated firebox.

sylntghost
03-02-2015, 06:14 PM
my shirley fire box is 3/8 thick. i also built a 1/4 inch steel ash pan. once up to temp i need one wrist size split every 40 to 50 mins. thick steel is awesome.:becky:

pjtexas1
03-02-2015, 07:15 PM
my shirley fire box is 3/8 thick. i also built a 1/4 inch steel ash pan. once up to temp i need one wrist size split every 40 to 50 mins. thick steel is awesome.:becky:

Your'e cheating...your whole cooker is 3/8". :laugh:

Wickedcajun
03-02-2015, 07:23 PM
i chose the 1/2" box for a couple of reasons,...
1.) the thermal mass! Once that 1/2" plate heats up it's a lot easier to maintain temps in the rest of the pit, it also works in conjunction with my warmer/oven in keeping heat loss to a minimum, increasing efficiency and fuel economy. I'll recoup the money spent on the upgrade by saving on cooking wood expenses.:wink:
2.) durability! It's hard to do but even 1/4" plate can warp with high heat and i've seen doors become hard to close and intake dampers become difficult to adjust,... My 1/2" box will never get hot enough for any of that to happen. There is also the corrosion factor to consider,... Rust in the firebox is inevitable and i know that my great grand-kids will be able to use my pit one day without having to replace the firebox on it.:-d

+1^^^

pjtexas1
03-02-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure which options your are getting but I would get the oven over the firebox. It's not that much more and has more benefits.

jjrkegler
03-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I have a 24x48 LSG offset and went with the insulated firebox given I use it up here in the north throughout the winter. I also did it a bit for the safety aspect of having the firebox not be molten red, though it's still plenty hot. In addition, I have the 1/4" ash pan.

I have found that I have a hard time keeping temps in the pit down. It's 24F out right now and have been doing ribs this evening for my daughter's bday and it's been running above 270 all day. It likes to run about 280-290 in these outdoor temps. After a few hours, it heats up to 300+ about the time the last of the coals from the previous split are gone, so I end up using the propane starter to restart wood throughout the cook (more so in warm temps than today - only twice so far). I'm thinking of pulling out the grate and putting it right on top of the ash pan so I can keep enough coals close by when it's time to add a split.

In the summer I use really small splits but then have to add wood about every 20-30 min instead. I kind of wish I went with 1/4 and got the grill option on top.

OK, after all that, it was new to me last August so I'm still learning on it.

THoey1963
03-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Here is what I ordered:

24"x24"x22" square grill top firebox, 24''x 30''x36'' vertical upright smoker
Warming oven 24"
Slide out internal ash pan for easy clean out of fire box made from 1/4'' steel with 2 handles
Ash rake with cool touch handle
Fire poker with cool touch handle
Utensil storage rack located on the back of the smoker
GURU Thread adaptor/port
Temperature probe hole-one on the oven and one on the smoker
Stainless Steel Front Shelf
Charge for making table folding
Custom Fabrication-2 sausage hooks in the oven
Cool touch spring handle-on damper rods
Brass ball valve 1 1/4" for drain
pull handle-on smoker side
Custom Fabrication-screw bottle opener on front of oven facing out-customer to send us opener he wants to use @ N/C
8" Solid rubber wheels, includes 2 fixed rear wheels and 2 swivel casters with Heavy duty swivel lock and heavy duty wheel lock. 1500 lbs capacity per wheel
Charcoal Basket with S baffles.
Gas assist/log lighter in firebox. Includes adjustable regulator, hose, brass Venturi, burner

Like I mentioned, really similar to Sako's. All that for $3580.65 without delivery since I am close enough to go pick it up.

TexasRT
03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
I chose the 1/2" box for a couple of reasons,...
1.) The thermal mass! Once that 1/2" plate heats up it's a lot easier to maintain temps in the rest of the pit, it also works in conjunction with my warmer/oven in keeping heat loss to a minimum, increasing efficiency and fuel economy. I'll recoup the money spent on the upgrade by saving on cooking wood expenses.:wink:
2.) Durability! It's hard to do but even 1/4" plate can warp with high heat and I've seen doors become hard to close and intake dampers become difficult to adjust,... my 1/2" box will never get hot enough for any of that to happen. There is also the corrosion factor to consider,... rust in the firebox is inevitable and I know that my great Grand-kids will be able to use my pit one day without having to replace the firebox on it.:-D

^^^^^what he said, I too went with the 1/2" fb on my LSG and have no regrets.

THoey1963
03-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I am going to be under a STEEP learning curve when I get this. I have been around stick burners before, but never cooked on one myself. Read a lot here, so that will help, but I am sure the first few runs are going to be interesting.

pjtexas1
03-02-2015, 08:39 PM
That's gonna be one nice cooker! It's amazing how quickly the upgrades add up.

Stick burners are easy. You pick a temp, add a split when it gets 20 degrees or so below, wait 45-60 minutes and repeat. The biggest adjustment is getting used to cooking at 275-325 instead of dialing in at exactly 300. You will be a pro after the seasoning cook!

Edit: You are a Texan. Cooking on an offset is naturally in your blood.:thumb:

peeps
03-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Gonna be awesome, Terry!!!

ssv3
03-02-2015, 09:04 PM
I am going to be under a STEEP learning curve when I get this. I have been around stick burners before, but never cooked on one myself. Read a lot here, so that will help, but I am sure the first few runs are going to be interesting.

You're going to be just fine! I had no stick burning experience at all and I'm doing just fine. Better than I had anticipated since the pit is nicely built and it drafts like a dream making it easy to run. You just pick up little things as you go just like any new smoker.

P.S. OldBill guided me through perfectly and I had the training wheels off literally in no time.

THoey1963
03-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks y'all. Only 11-13 weeks, 6 days, and a handful of hours to go... :roll:

ArnieTex
03-02-2015, 09:46 PM
I have wore out two 1/4 inch fireboxes in about 5 yrs each. Very hot and humid here and we cook two to four times a week, but I'm not normal anyways in any way shape or form, rof.

THoey1963
03-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Now, you are scaring me...

oldbill
03-02-2015, 10:42 PM
I am going to be under a STEEP learning curve when I get this. I have been around stick burners before, but never cooked on one myself. Read a lot here, so that will help, but I am sure the first few runs are going to be interesting.Just let us know when you get your pit and we'll get you up and running in no time.:thumb:

pjtexas1
03-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Now, you are scaring me...

A good ash pan will help a lot. Also keeping water out is a must. I guess I don't cook enough to cause any issues. I think the 5 years is an anomalie. They stopped making the Texas Smokemaster in the 80's and mine is still ok.

retired trucker
03-02-2015, 11:56 PM
A good ash pan will help a lot. Also keeping water out is a must. I guess I don't cook enough to cause any issues. I think the 5 years is an anomalie. They stopped making the Texas Smokemaster in the 80's and mine is still ok.

This. As long as you keep it cleaned out of ash and not let the ash stay in and get wet, then the rust will be at a minimum. You can not stop the rust, but you can control how bad it gets, by controlling what causes it.

I let a new New Braunsful smoker rust out in about a year and a half by not keeping the ash cleaned out on a regular basis. I was less than diligent about caring for the smoker. I let life get in the way, and kept putting off cleaning it until I wanted to use it again. Wound up pitching it out for scrap iron. :doh: Learned my lesson, but too late.

Omar

THoey1963
03-03-2015, 12:05 AM
This. As long as you keep it cleaned out of ash and not let the ash stay in and get wet, then the rust will be at a minimum. You can not stop the rust, but you can control how bad it gets, by controlling what causes it.

I let a new New Braunsful smoker rust out in about a year and a half by not keeping the ash cleaned out on a regular basis. I was less than diligent about caring for the smoker. I let life get in the way, and kept putting off cleaning it until I wanted to use it again. Wound up pitching it out for scrap iron. :doh: Learned my lesson, but too late.

Omar

Yeah, that makes me wonder. Will I be persistent enough to keep the ash out every time? I don't with my WSM, but it's coated. <sigh> While it might get hot / humid here, we don't get a lot of rain. Does that make a difference?

retired trucker
03-03-2015, 12:14 AM
I would think with the ash tray, you can dump the ash out the next morning after a cook and you will be fine. I know all about your humidity, and although it is lower than we had in Victoria, it is still bad enough to cause problems. Also, you can always replace the ash catcher if it rusts out on you. It will be a good insulator for the main fire box. You will be fine. Congratulations on the new cooker by the way.

Omar

THoey1963
03-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Ok, if the ash pan is going to help, I feel better. I do have a couple months before the build starts, so I have time to change my mind.

And thanks Omar...

TexasRT
03-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Keeping the damp/wet ash off the fb steel is the trick. The ash turns acidic when it gets wet. Even putting a layer of foil down under the fire for the ash to fall on will help until it can be removed. Keep the wet ash off the steel.

THoey1963
03-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Argh, I woke up thinking of this today. Seriously thinking of just biting the bullet and doing the upgrade. It's pricey, but it might make me sleep better...:bored:

pjtexas1
03-03-2015, 03:00 PM
I bet Chris would weld a 2nd 1/4" plate on top of the firebox bottom. That would probably work and not cost so much.

AlwaysSmokey
03-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Terry, I wouldn't waste time worrying to much. 1/4 inch is good. Sweep, scrape or brush out them ashes the following day. Hell, I got to where I just blow it out with the leaf blower. Sure I gotta spend an extra 3 seconds blowing off the cook chamber but hey,.. I got time, and I don't mind being a little ashy. I'm already always smokey. : )
Now,.. you should be starting the meat stockpile. So when ya get her you can get after it! Congrats !

THoey1963
03-03-2015, 03:38 PM
I bet Chris would weld a 2nd 1/4" plate on top of the firebox bottom. That would probably work and not cost so much.

Hmmm... Would he even need to weld it, or would having a removable and replaceable piece of 1/4" plate be helpful? Figure if it ever rusted, could just pull it out and replace with another one? That also might create a space for ash and moisture to get trapped...

Terry, I wouldn't waste time worrying to much. 1/4 inch is good. Sweep, scrape or brush out them ashes the following day. Hell, I got to where I just blow it out with the leaf blower. Sure I gotta spend an extra 3 seconds blowing off the cook chamber but hey,.. I got time, and I don't mind being a little ashy. I'm already always smokey. : )
Now,.. you should be starting the meat stockpile. So when ya get her you can get after it! Congrats !

Patience. Yeah, easier said then done. At least I have this to remind me (image stolen from Sako)...

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah114/THoey1963/Miscellaneous/IMG_3366_zpsr7qumeei.jpg

I was going to say I had already started stocking up, but then I realized that cooking all of this at once might not fill the smoker up. :shocked:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah114/THoey1963/Miscellaneous/IMG_3368_zpszzybbcop.jpg

BIG ALAN
03-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Five years ago I went with the 1/2" firebox on the Klose 42" Grill Chef, and I live in SoCal. I'd do it all over again. And I don't have your summer humidity and occasional winter snow. Good luck.:wink:

T.R.
03-03-2015, 04:37 PM
I was pondering the same thing just a few weeks ago. I finally ordered mine with a 1/2" firebox for all the reasons Oldbill mentioned.

ssv3
03-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Lol, love the countdown counter. The whole purpose of the ash pan is wel...l ash pan. It's 1/4" plate that slides out and makes cleaning a breeze. The sucker's heavy though.

Don't have great pics bit here are a few:

Pulling it out after a cook to dump the ash. I always clean the smoker next day mandatory.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WoPA4NOKTxQ/VFAllTa4VWI/AAAAAAAAKa4/cFyWADIbXvM/w702-h395-no/20141027_090012.jpg

Here's how it sits when in operation (obviously) or looks like.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0n-OTR_aPvg/VFBOvQCA4QI/AAAAAAAAKko/_plf-57-vVk/w702-h468-no/IMG_0478.jpg

This one is a little better I guess

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hA5kmGZ0Uzw/VFBOv-L1VkI/AAAAAAAAKdo/0DW1HTEWWxs/w387-h581-no/IMG_0480.jpg

One mo'

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hfpP-pAMucA/VOZkNdL4cfI/AAAAAAAALno/TbxXDZXF7Ns/w702-h395-no/20141221_170220.jpg

THoey1963
03-03-2015, 05:26 PM
I am just thinking about doing it now just for the longevity sake. Yeah, it's $450, but I'd probably never have to even think about rust or burn out...

ssv3
03-03-2015, 05:36 PM
I am just thinking about doing it now just for the longevity sake. Yeah, it's $450, but I'd probably never have to even think about rust or burn out...

Yeah, you want it:biggrin1: That's where you're heart's at then pull the trigger since it's a one time deal. Worst thing you can do is have regrets later. That's why I added some stuff that I most likely wasn't going to need but thought better be locked n loaded just in case.

THoey1963
03-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Just talked to a buddy who has been a stick burner forever. Then I sent Chris and Amber an email requesting the half inch upgrade. Best to do it right the first time...

My buddy did ask about the welding and wanted to know if the welds are done on both the inside and the outside. The way y'all talk about how good the welds are, I think so, but I don't know.

THoey1963
03-04-2015, 12:19 PM
So, I got my updated invoice today. Adding the firebox upgrade kicked me over the $4K mark. :eek:

Then I placed an order for the cover. Another $600... :sigh:

pjtexas1
03-04-2015, 12:28 PM
So, I got my updated invoice today. Adding the firebox upgrade kicked me over the $4K mark. :eek:

Then I placed an order for the cover. Another $600... :sigh:

It's a darn good thing you don't have to pay shipping!:becky:

THoey1963
03-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I've got that going for me... :mrgreen:

Smokin' Greene
03-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Good call!!! Just call it, "your forever pit"! :wink:

pjtexas1
03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Good call!!! Just call it, "your forever pit"! :wink:

It may last forever but I am sure there is at least 1 more that he has his eye on.... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205466 :becky:

16Adams
03-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Legacy Smoker. Love it !!!!!

THoey1963
03-04-2015, 05:09 PM
It may last forever but I am sure there is at least 1 more that he has his eye on.... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205466 :becky:

Nope, this is the one I referenced in that thread. Definitely won't ever need more space. And this will grill, smoke, and maybe even bake, so there's not much else I need...

Smokin' Greene
03-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Legacy Smoker. Love it !!!!!

:thumb: