PDA

View Full Version : 'fishy ribs'

lunchlady
09-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Ever since my "fishy ribs" last month at Grill Kings that I'm chalking up to a bad batch.... it's been screwing with my head...

I have heard that the 'fishy ribs' are Danish ribs....something about what they feed the pigs. We have had them too and it throws ya for a loop. Anyone else hear that?

lunchlady

thunderbelly
09-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Only time I've had fishy ribs was when I first learned to fillet pike, and they weren't that good.

big brother smoke
09-19-2006, 04:17 PM
I bought some Danish ribs for the LAbor Day weekend and they were skimpy! I was to embarrased to cook and serve them. I vacuum sucked them and I think I am going to give them out as a freebie for one of my student groups Thursday, I need the Freezer space.

Those things were so skimpy I wondered if the pigs they used have eating disorders.

Sledneck
09-19-2006, 05:49 PM
heard it from a number of people that they do indeed smell like fish, i dont think i personally know any danish people. I wonder if they smell like fish also?

JimT
09-19-2006, 06:04 PM
I did some Danish ribs over Labor Day too. They were weird looking bones, the meat had a yellow cast, as opposed to pink or red, and I thought they tasted funny. I wouldn't describe the taste as "fishy", but more "musty." I thought I farked up my smoke big time! Everyone else thought they were good.

I may try them one more time, just to be sure.

G$
09-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Ever since my "fishy ribs" last month at Grill Kings that I'm chalking up to a bad batch.... it's been screwing with my head...

I have heard that the 'fishy ribs' are Danish ribs....something about what they feed the pigs. We have had them too and it throws ya for a loop. Anyone else hear that?

lunchlady

In my experience, yes. The Danish ribs I cooked were 'fishy', or even 'piggy' if that makes sense.

thillin
09-19-2006, 10:01 PM
I've had 2 racks from one cook that turned out fishy. I make sure to buy quality ribs now.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
I never heard of fishy ribs........

BBQchef33
09-20-2006, 12:05 AM
i have had a fishy rack occasionally of the years....EVERY once in a while one swims out of the cryovac.. but i never buy the danish ones cause they are so puny.... so i'm not sure its only danish ribs.. thought it was one particular rub becase it seemed to happen most when i use John Henrys, but not always... I think it something just happens once in a while when the pig gets gills..

i tried to google danish ribs to see what they're fed or how they are raised and didnt come up with much.

Mark Thomas (http://www.mdtltd.com/pages/806621/index.htm) gives the definitive answer that has always puzzled The General. What is the difference between American and Danish baby back ribs? There is one more rib on the Danish ribs....13 instead of 12! The Danish hog is called the "Land Race." Mark went on to say that there are three defining points to the taste of pork ribs. The breed of the hog, what it is fed, and the age it is slaughtered.

Danish Ribs – originated in Sweden, even smaller than baby backs, these ribs are reported to have less meat than baby backs and sometimes have a different flavor. They are usually 4” to 5” wide, about 15” long, and weigh around 1 to 1.5 pounds.

The Woodman
09-20-2006, 06:07 AM
I got tenth place in Michigan out of 61 teams last year with Danish ribs.