PDA

View Full Version : Chicken horror story / Brining question?

Qczar
09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
A few weeks ago I set out to buy a med to lg chicken to doctor up and get it on a spit for my grill. Personally, I have learned that I can stand eating any chicken except Perdue. Some are better than others. An all natural I find being the best. I`ve heard some like Perdue, which baffles me? I have`nt eaten one for years.
(IMO, Perdue`s are processed in a way that they are molecularly changed, for lack of better words. I cook one, and they taste different from other chickens. They are tougher and do not cut or tear the same.)
So, in a hurry, I head to the nearest super market and sure as sh*t, they were out of my usual brand, Lancaster, and only Perdue. No way. So off to another supermarket and yet another. Getting p*ssed I finally find one on my fourth try that did`nt go thru the concentration camps of a Perdue factory. Not paying too much attention to the label, it looked good and fresh, good date, good color, I was happy it was just another brand.

I`m psyched. Get her home, trimmed, washed, dried, lubed, seasoned, and tied up. I gett`er on the spit and start to spin her with the rear infrared burner. After about an hour do a internal temp reading and let it go for another half hour. I get it up near 180º and I thought I would hit it with a little marinade. As I brushed it on I noticed that the flesh was not forgiving at all. I felt a little sick as this was not a good sign. Now I`m hoping it was nothing. So a few minutes later I get`er off the spit and on a cutting board, covered with foil for a good 15-20 minutes or so. It looked beautiful.

As soon as I put a knife into the breast I started bumming out. It was gross. The flesh was leather like. Even the look of the meat did`nt look right. I could`nt even tear the thigh from the back. No exaggeration, I could`nt pull it apart with all my might and the leg would not tear from the thigh either. The dark meat was worse than the white. Not eatable. It very much reminded me of a Perdue, but twice as bad.

In amazement that a store can even sell such garbage, that anyone, knowing how to cook or not could possibly eat this thing, was way, way beyond me. I looked again at the fine print of the package and it mentioned '10% injected' ? 10% liquid ? Something like that. What the fark is in these birds? Could it be a type of brine (salt, water)? Chemical? Seems unearthly to me. I never tried brining chicken, I wouldn`t think the results are similar? But maybe when injecting it with a brine? My next Q I was going to try brining before smoking and hope to learn sumtin`. I hope I`m not going down a similar path?..................... Anyone differentiate the two?

For the record, I called the market I bought the chicken at and got my money back. In all my years I never had to bring anything back. But this sucker was reallll bad. Just to prove my sanity (as I could`nt believe it), the next weekend I found a chicken I could trust and cooked it the exact same way. Chicken was moist, tasted great, and pulled apart with ease. Whew, was questioning my ability ..............

Smoker
09-19-2006, 02:36 PM
"I`m psyched. Get her home, trimmed, washed, dried, lubed, seasoned, and tied up."

Maybe if you had whispered sweet nothings into her ear the end results would have been different!!!!!

Qczar
09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
<<Maybe if you had whispered sweet nothings into her ear the end results would have been different!!!!!>>

We were past that. I had my hands on her breasts and in her carcass.

wishinfishin
09-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Stop it ... ROFLMFAO...with tears in my eyes.

Arlin_MacRae
09-19-2006, 02:59 PM
<sputter> HEHEHEHE And this is Q talk, gents!!! :D

Smoker
09-19-2006, 03:03 PM
The line I originally wanted to go with I couldn't use since it's Q talk. Arlin, can u split the thread at my response and move it to the woodpile?

ApronGuy
09-19-2006, 03:49 PM
the next weekend I found a chicken I could trust and cooked it the exact same way. Chicken was moist, tasted great, and pulled apart with ease. Whew, was questioning my ability ..............

I think we all need a chicken we can trust.

seth711
09-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Check your temprature probes.... I would guess they are off by some degree.

bbqjoe
09-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Check your temprature probes.... I would guess they are off by some degree.
I wouldn't think so, since the next one he did came out perfect.

BBQchef33
09-19-2006, 04:51 PM
180 for chicken? i try to get a lttle above 140 in the breast.. but if its on a spit, just till thigh juices run clear in the dark meat.. but IMHO, 180 in the thight would kill off the breast.

I agree withthe perdue though, but only on taste.. they taste bland.. I never had a problem with tenderness though.. I have however had the leathery outcome with chicken that has been previously frozen, which may have been the case with the one u got.

Bell and Evans is my favorites.. but they just be too damn small.

Qczar
09-19-2006, 05:49 PM
180 for chicken? i try to get a lttle above 140 in the breast.. but if its on a spit, just till thigh juices run clear in the dark meat.. but IMHO, 180 in the thight would kill off the breast.

I agree withthe perdue though, but only on taste.. they taste bland.. I never had a problem with tenderness though.. I have however had the leathery outcome with chicken that has been previously frozen, which may have been the case with the one u got.

Bell and Evans is my favorites.. but they just be too damn small.

Nothing wrong with cooking whole chickens on a spit to 180º. The meat is fully cooked to the bone and moist. Been doing it for years, frozen/thaw too. I used the same instant read on the good chix. Though this was not a Perdue, it had the charateristics of one but even much worse. Definitly something was wrong with it as far as the processing of it. It was not a case of over cooking and dry, this farker was like strait from a lab! IMO, it was injected with something that made it tough. I threw it out (I only would have done that to something absolutly terrible). The next time I was checking out the markets, I noticed Perdue`s had a label on it that mentioned 5% of some kind of additives (something like that?). ........ Shelf life rules for some processers.

Yeah, Bell and Evans are the best. Just twice the price, sometimes three times. Lot`s of good one`s out there. I have to read the fine print from now on as I guess Perdue`s patent has expired!

G$
09-19-2006, 06:35 PM
The next time I was checking out the markets, I noticed Perdue`s had a label on it that mentioned 5% of some kind of additives (something like that?). ........ Shelf life rules for some processers.

The injections are typically to create a 'moister' end product. Perhaps more meat than you realized is 'enhanced'. (not passing judgement on good or bad)

qman
09-19-2006, 07:50 PM
The injections are typically to create a 'moister' end product. Perhaps more meat than you realized is 'enhanced'. (not passing judgement on good or bad)

Roger that G-string-lots of meat is "enhanced" and you have to read the labels carefully to know. Like you said, not passing judgement, but it is nice to know before you start to cook. Some enhanced products work, others don't, at least for me.

Lobster Boy
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Sounds like you cooked a rooster!