PDA

View Full Version : First kamado grill

Rusty Kettle
02-15-2015, 01:52 AM
I bought my Vision grills classic M series kamado. I know it's not the high end big green egg or the kamado joe but for less than $200 it's a good way to try it out to see if I want a better kamado down the road. I can't sleep because I am picking it up from the store tomorrow. I was thinking of building a cart for it. I kind of want to get a harbor freight trailer frame and mount the cart to the trailer frame so I can haul it behind my car. Anyone build a trailer/cart for their kamado that could give me some ideas about how to set it up? Thinking of adding space for my 14.5"WSM and my traeger junior elite. That way I could use it in my backyard and take it with me. Any thoughts?

ebijack
02-15-2015, 06:17 AM
Congrats on the Vision! As far as putting that on a Harbor Freight trailer, I'm not sure how that ceramic would handle the bounce/jarring if solid mounted. I know there are plenty of folks who travel with theirs in enclosed trailers. Those trailers typically have a very good suspension system vs what is on the HF trailer. Not that it can't be done, but you should think a lot about how you would support the ceramic and protect it. At least don't travel thru Michigan, our roads fracture vehicle rims everyday.
Just a thought.

Edsland
02-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Enjoy the Vision I have an Akorn which is made from steal, the porcelain firebox in a Vision might not take too well to moving on a trailer.

Big George's BBQ
02-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Congrats and enjoy I know that people that take their eggs to Comps crate them to protect them

Rusty Kettle
02-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Yeah it was just a thought. Sometimes my ideas are a bit off the wall when I am tired. I probably will just keep this one at home.

DubfromGA
02-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Congrats on getting a great deal on a highly versatile grill. You are going to love it !!!

I've been using kamado grills for the past 5 years and freaking love them !!!!

The downside of the ceramics is, of course, portability.

I'm trying to figure this aspect out at the moment, too. There is a comp that I want to do in few months and I need to transport my BigJoe there.